Would you expect rear lights on with Daylight Running Lights (DRL)?

As I have already said DRLs are to help pedestrians, they can see an approaching vehicle far better if it has lights on. Trials have shown that DRLs tend to improve the judgement of the speed of an approaching vehicle.

Motorists have to undergo a period of instruction and tests to be able to drive. They must also be medically fit and have a minimum quality of vision, you should be able to see the car in front even without lights in daylight. What "moron" is going to drive into the back of a vehicle in broad daylight even if it has no lights on? Oh!... I forgot, 9 times out of 10 the one not paying attention and probably driving too close.

On the other hand the average pedestrian has no test to pass, no minimum physical ability to meet or a r**dy great steel box around him/her for protection. They are not at risk from cars when they are travelling away from them.

What brain dead moron wrote the legislation not to require rear lights at the same time as front, the front ones aren't as obviously needed as much as the rears, we're all (or should be) watching the the front, it's the rear we can't always be sure of...
I think you completely misunderstand what DRLs are for.

What brain dead moron wrote the legislation not to require rear lights at the same time as front, the front ones aren't as obviously needed as much as the rears, we're all (or should be) watching the the front, it's the rear we can't always be sure of...
Perhaps you should have a rotating and flashing red light on top of your car so we can all avoid you 🤪. You’ve completely misinterpreted and misunderstood the use and purpose of DRL’s.

Whilst DRLs are to improve pedestrian safety the problem is with the large number of poor drivers you see driving in twilight without their lights on because they haven't given it a thought because they either think the DRLs are lighting their way or they don't understand that the rear lights aren't lit as well. If there were rear DRLs there would be no confusion and it would be safer for everyone when the idiots are driving around without lights. I can't really think of any argument why it is better to not have rear DRLs so the legislation does puzzle me!

That’s interesting. Why do you think it’s important to have your rear sidelights on with the DRL’s during the day in bright conditions? If it gets darker the headlamps/sidelights come on anyway don’t they?
Prior to my MG5 I had a Volvo, lights on all the time seemed very sensible. This time of year in dull weather a car with rear lights on is more visible, so I would certainly advocate having them on. Anything to reduce the risk of someone not seeing me.

That’s interesting. Why do you think it’s important to have your rear sidelights on with the DRL’s during the day in bright conditions? If it gets darker the headlamps/sidelights come on anyway don’t they?
If it is daytime and you have light patchy fog, it would be better if you knew your rear lights were on. Problem is that people may assume that auto headlight will come on but they may not if it isn't dark enough. Driver can see their electronic dash is lit up and assume everything is fine - may even see their front DRL lights reflected in the rear of a vehicle they are following. But a following driver may not see them in a thicker patch of fog with potentially disastrous consequences.

Yes, I know the driver should take responsibility for when light is reduced but wouldn't it be simpler to have the rear lights on at the same time as front DRL's?

My previous Audi S3 certainly did.

Just checked my DRL in the fading evening light. Now the rear lights are ON!

So in daylight, it's seems like front lights only but front and rear as the light fades (in auto mode)...
That would be the auto lights that illuminate the rear side lights, so nothing to do with DRLs

As others have said, I certainly can’t see any issues with having rear lights on and linked to DRL’s. The whole area does however uncover how naive many drivers can be when it comes to making sure they have the most appropriate lights on depending on conditions. I still talk to drivers who don’t want to drain their battery…..🤪

There is no issue with rear DRLs, that appears to be down to the individual manufacturers.

The point is the legislation only requires front Daytime Running Lamps for the purposes of protecting pedestrians (from themselves), the potential benefit to other vehicular road users does not form part of the ethos of the original legislation.

If rear lights are eventually included then that changes the purposes of the legislation. Surely drivers should DRIVE their cars i.e. drive at appropriate speeds with due consideration of conditions and therefore use the correct lighting as required by regulations. Otherwise you could have dip beams on permanently in case the driver should forget to turn them on when needed and automation fails. Where do you draw the line? I find the light sensor turns on the lights considerably sooner than I would deem them necessary but it is still MY responsibility to ensure they are on when needed.

The point is the legislation only requires front Daytime Running Lamps for the purposes of protecting pedestrians (from themselves)
My sister in law is always on about these damned electric cars creeping up on oaps and killing them.
I’m assuming they really are dreadful EV drivers in Cornwall? Can’t say I’ve heard of many in Scotland 😜

To be honest I am not convinced that the low speed sounder is actually working on mine. However because of that I consider it MY responsibility to be aware of pedestrians not knowing I am moving especially as I collect my grandchildren from school 2 or 3 times a week and OAPs are bad enough never mind excitable 4-6 year olds being oblivious of their surroundings.

The other use for DRLs is that if you are waiting to pull out of a side road and it is bright and sunny but the main road has a lot of tree overhang it can be darker and harder to see a car approaching, DRLs help in this situation

I’m not convinced that EV’s are any quieter than many modern ICE cars when rolling at low speed. Many of the modern ICE cars are extremely quiet when travelling at low speed - and none of them have any pedestrian warning sound.

Always thought the idea of no rear light DRL ludicrous. The amount of muppets I see on my winter commute that don't realise that just because they can see front lights against the garage door, doesn't mean they have rears as well 🤷‍♂️

Yes. Most cars with DRL’s also display dash lights but no rear lights - I wonder why? This may perhaps just assure some drivers who don’t know any better that their lights are on?
With modern led lamps not using much juice, is the answer just to have all cars running with headlamps and rear lights permanently on? Who remembers the days of ‘dim-dip’??

Yes - and how weedy were some sidelights? Like candles.

Get someone else to check.
If you are in my age group (60+) it could be your hearing that's the problem!
It could be my misinterpretation but the number of times pedestrians have been unaware is why I have my doubts.

Or people are just even more stupid than I thought.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom