Would you like to have a private forum for MG ZS EV owners?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
I have had this suggestion from a forum member and I want to run it past you.

Posts in it would only be visible to members who have been confirmed as MG ZS EV owners.
It would be for discussions which people feel are too sensitive to be publicly visible.

And if you support this idea, how would you suggest we confirm that a member is an MG ZS EV owner?
Each member would have to send me the required information by private conversation and that information would then be permanently deleted.

Would a photo of them next to their car, for example, be secure enough for you? It could be a photo of anyone stood next to any car.
The most secure way starts getting into the realm of sharing private information like a photo of their vehicle registration certificate showing their name and address plus a photo of them holding their driving licence showing their photo and the same name and address.
Which is pretty nasty.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I think just vehicle registration number without photo or address is OK in first instance.(one reg number person or per party of not more than 3)
The reg no. can be verified using public access DVLA system.
Only when more than 1 party presents with the same Reg number will checks of name and address +/- photos be required.
There should be the strict precautions for privacy.

I am totally against hiding our forum but I would probably join a private group because I would wish to keep access to reports and opinions from other owners.
What I don't understand is why we need to keep our messages hidden, surely public reporting of MG & dealerships, updates & upgrades, faults & praises keeps everyone informed. This site is where I gleaned much information, if I could not see all this info I might have bought a different car.
Steve

The suggestion was made to be by a member who wanted to post sensitive/private/leaked information about the car that they did not want the manufacturer or anyone else outside of the community to see.

I would create a new child forum of this forum which would be visible to all, but only open to those members who are manually added to a new user group.

The disadvantage of private forums is that they require someone to grant (and maybe revoke) access.

The advantage is that it gives privacy for members under certain (probably rare) circumstances that they are needed.

GDPR is a consideration and I certainly don't want to get involved with gathering any more information than is absolutely necessary. Honestly I would rather the community appoint someone who they trust to confirm ownership, and that person manages admission to the private forum.

I have no strong feelings either way....with my DeLorean hat on..our website is an excellent way of recruiting new members and hence owners and that is open to all.

I'm not concerned about my details being being semi-available.....I wouldn't be on this group if I was.

Yes protection issues are a bit worrying however it is my understanding some of the discussions we have had especially concerning the comfort 2 update could land us in trouble with MG. Exactly what the issues are is unclear but it relates to information MG sends "in confidence" to their dealerships coming out in the open.
For example the specific instructions that customers should be charged for the comfort 2 update etc. Apparently this could have enabled a class action which may cause legal problems and delays for MG.

Freedom of speech for us, but not for the individuals who released the information if intended for internal use only..

@MEH, not sure what your mean exactly, but yes we could have ZS EV owners who are also MG employees or MG could even plant their own employees as spies amongst us. My understanding is that so far as our discussion is in a ''private forum" we may have different protections and liability compared to if the forum was public. We need a law expert to inform us more on that.
Personally, I am going to comment openly with facts, I know to be true and ask questions about things I am concerned about whether the forum is private or public. There is however several things that one is unable to do. For example name and shame the appualing dealerships. In a private forum we could easily share our experiences of our interactions with a dealerships just like one will do with an individual friend. We cannot do that in a public forum.

I am easy going either way and appreciate all the views of members so far. I shall continue to read the input and probably go with the majority view . I have learned a great deal from members of this group and really enjoy the banter and help that we have received to get the best from a technology we knew little about at the beginning and every day is a day at school.

Last edited:
I would prefer not to have another forum to check, but would also like to hear any info that was relevant.

Rather than think of MG employees on here as spies I prefer to think of them as trying to improve their product. I might be naive, but not sure how they would use the information here as anything other than improving their customer service. Even naming and shaming dealers would force them into doing a better job. I don't think there should be anything on here that you wouldn't say to someone's face.

I do not disagree. In a "normal world" that is what one expects... Companies would monitor the net and use the concerns expressed as feedback to improve services.
You will however struggle to find a real life example this. In real life this never happens. What companies do these days is to shut anyone/website down who says what they do not want to hear and attack individuals who publicly express an opinion which highlights any issues the companies may have.

What possible issue with the MG would need to be hidden from potential buyers or from MG, or from anyone else for that matter?

Reactions: EWD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom