X Power recall looming??

KMC

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hello all. I spotted this last night whilst trying to Google the largest size alloys I can safely fit on my X Power. Many members have commented on “vibration etc at motorway speeds” so this may be your answer? MG seem to concede we all need a replacement steering damper.
Karl

Attachments

• IMG_7459.png
    IMG_7459.png
    497.5 KB · Views: 134
Hello all. I spotted this last night whilst trying to Google the largest size alloys I can safely fit on my X Power. Many members have commented on “vibration etc at motorway speeds” so this may be your answer? MG seem to concede we all need a replacement steering damper.
Karl
Always kept the faith.

I bet we will all be sorted before the Summers out.

Fingers Crossed.

EDIT : OLD NEWS.

Last edited:
😒😢.. I've just seen the date (17th Nov 2023) and the wording 😒

I'm pretty sure that's an old story from Australia and that the steering damper does not fix it anyway !!

Hoping I'm wrong though 😊

Well spotted m8!

Assumed it was fresh info.

Bugger.

Now, where's me feckin glasses. 🤓

Hello all. I spotted this last night whilst trying to Google the largest size alloys I can safely fit on my X Power.
What size alloys did you come up with? I reckon 19s would be no problem at all. And probably 20s no problems either. 🙂

Maybe this is why cars manufactured (not registered) after November 2023 don't have the vibrations?

What size alloys did you come up with? I reckon 19s would be no problem at all. And probably 20s no problems either. 🙂
I am stuck to be honest.
Drove to ATS & asked advice, explained MG left the ride height the same because xpower squats under hard exceleration . Manager said “No data on that car, its too new. Customer buys alloys- chooses tyres & we fit em”
Frustrated! A Thai channel on YouTube shows MG4 coilover kits/alloys / body kits the lot (Job Job channel). But no English & no sub titles 😱

I am stuck to be honest.
Drove to ATS & asked advice, explained MG left the ride height the same because xpower squats under hard exceleration . Manager said “No data on that car, its too new. Customer buys alloys- chooses tyres & we fit em”
Frustrated! A Thai channel on YouTube shows MG4 coilover kits/alloys / body kits the lot (Job Job channel). But no English & no sub titles 😱
This is what I've come up with, for a swop to 19s. I can see this size being pretty much perfect, except they will stick out 13mm which to be honest it nowt. And the stance when lowered should look awesome. 🙂👍

20240325_212438.jpg

20240325_212500.jpg

How does that mod impact insurance & warranty?
Would almost certainly impact insurance, hopefully not to much. Would possibly impact the warranty, but only the wheels and suspension parts probably. But to be honest, who cares. I wouldn't, you takes your chance as they say. 🙂👍

This is what I've come up with, for a swop to 19s. I can see this size being pretty much perfect, except they will stick out 13mm which to be honest it nowt. And the stance when lowered should look awesome. 🙂👍

View attachment 25180

View attachment 25181
Trouble is will the car destroy em next time you gun it 🫣. Also if 13mm takes the tyre edge outside the arch theyre illegal. I think Im just gonna try some quality spacers & wait until I have more information. Ive looked at similar 19” rims myself but if they aren’t suitable its a very expensive mistake innit.

Attachments

• IMG_7457.png
    IMG_7457.png
    878.8 KB · Views: 83
Trouble is will the car destroy em next time you gun it 🫣. Also if 13mm takes the tyre edge outside the arch theyre illegal. I think Im just gonna try some quality spacers & wait until I have more information. Ive looked at similar 19” rims myself but if they aren’t suitable its a very expensive mistake innit.
Yep, you take your chance to a certain extent, but a bit of research should minimise the chance a lot. Don't think you would destroy them, when you gun it, 13mm isn't that much really, pretty sure having looked at X Power's they wouldn't sit proud of the arch. But to minimise the chance even more, 19x8 as opposed to 19x8.5 might be a better choice. 🙂

Yep, you take your chance to a certain extent, but a bit of research should minimise the chance a lot. Don't think you would destroy them, when you gun it, 13mm isn't that much really, pretty sure having looked at X Power's they wouldn't sit proud of the arch. But to minimise the chance even more, 19x8 as opposed to 19x8.5 might be a better choice. 🙂
Saying that our current alloys are 8 so I agree 8.5 is ok because the stock alloys are well inside the arch.

😒😢.. I've just seen the date (17th Nov 2023) and the wording 😒

I'm pretty sure that's an old story from Australia and that the steering damper does not fix it anyway !!

Hoping I'm wrong though 😊
Rang service department today @ Perrys Preston. No recall or comment from MG. Booked infotainment system software upgrade for both our cars for Sat morning (R46). Our cars were collected in late Nov & Dec 2nd for the x power if that helps anyone else.

There was a recall done on the steering dampener in AUS now ive read in some places it hasnt fixed it ..

The dealer ship told me when i questioned them about the car i was buying and ultimately bought that it had yet to be done ..

Was that typical salesman BS or the truth i wont know till i pick the car up and test it ..

was looking at bigger wheels and some pilot sport 5s on mine but ill wait and see ..

the Thai body kit pics done on the blue one looks amazing but Thailand is the new japan for car shows and modifications theses days

Would a larger wheel size with a smaller tyre profile give a harsher ride, as you have less tyre wall to cushion the potholes road imperfections

Would a larger wheel size with a smaller tyre profile give a harsher ride, as you have less tyre wall to cushion the potholes road imperfections
My brother during his mid-life crisis stage bought an ex-demonstrator SLK and he had smaller rims and larger tyres fitted to soften the ride so yes the reverse is true. Larger rims and smaller sidewalls will certainly lead to a visit to a chiropractor.

Oh! and the SLK? His missus drove it and he had to get a Volvo SUV

My brother during his mid-life crisis stage bought an ex-demonstrator SLK and he had smaller rims and larger tyres fitted to soften the ride so yes the reverse is true. Larger rims and smaller sidewalls will certainly lead to a visit to a chiropractor.

Oh! and the SLK? His missus drove it and he had to get a Volvo SUV
I had this SLK & absolutely Loved it 🥰

Attachments

• A2A96EF8-48CD-48DA-8B84-A4DD65037751.jpeg
    A2A96EF8-48CD-48DA-8B84-A4DD65037751.jpeg
    483.7 KB · Views: 69
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom