Xpower as a hot hatch - cornering in particular

JustAnotherMidlifeCrisis

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Like many others, I expect, who ordered the Xpower I gave some weight to the magazine reviews but more weight to my own test drive and desire to indulge the kid inside me.

One theme in the UK motoring press is that while the car is a rocket on a straight road, classic hatches such as your GTIs, Rs and Ns deliver a significantly better fun factor when roads get twisty.

I didn't really have this in mind during my test drive and anyway no one would mistake me for a rally driver, but I'm interested to hear what current Xpower owners think about the car's general handling and whether they think it is somehow lacking.

I don't have one but like all new fast 4wd versions of family cars, it will take a year or two for them to tune it well and iron out any handling imbalances. Remember the 4wd is a brand new platform.

The good news is that these improvements should be able as software updates.

I don't have one but like all new fast 4wd versions of family cars, it will take a year or two for them to tune it well and iron out any handling imbalances. Remember the 4wd is a brand new platform.

The good news is that these improvements should be able as software updates.

I can't see handling changes beingimproved from software updates - things such as spring stiffness, damper rate, castor and camber angles of the suspension geometry etc could all be tweaked, but they're all mechanical. If it had adaptive suspension maybe, but it doesn't.

However my MG4 SE handles amazingly, and that's coming from my previous car being a Golf GTi.

Handling can be improved through optimisation of the power distribution between motors and the electronic traction control. There's a lot here that can change the handling without mechanical changes.

From what I have heard the ride is good but the balance in the corners needs some work to feel more fun and less understeer biased, which is something that can be changed in software.

I agree that there's limits to what software can do. They can also change suspension in future revisions to optimise as needed.

I drive a Golf GTI by the way so am curious to discover what the differences are.
I used to have a MkVII Golf GTI Performance DSG before my MG4 LR Trophy.

I'd say the differences are:
  • MG4 is far smoother and more comfortable to drive, the Golf had huge amounts of front wheelspin and torque steer, so it wasn't great to drive it fast and much better not to have any gears.
  • MG4 handles better: RWD plus 50:50 weight distribution means it is more fun than my golf was in the corners.
  • Golf was faster but this wouldn't be true of an MG4 ER or XPower.
  • MG4 has more space in the cabin.
  • Golf interior materials were probably a little better, but there's not much in it.
  • VW software had a similar amount of annoying idiosyncrasies to the MG4.
  • Both cars were/are unfailingly reliable.
  • MG4 feels heavier but there isn't actually much in it.

Like many others, I expect, who ordered the Xpower I gave some weight to the magazine reviews but more weight to my own test drive and desire to indulge the kid inside me.

One theme in the UK motoring press is that while the car is a rocket on a straight road, classic hatches such as your GTIs, Rs and Ns deliver a significantly better fun factor when roads get twisty.

I didn't really have this in mind during my test drive and anyway no one would mistake me for a rally driver, but I'm interested to hear what current Xpower owners think about the car's general handling and whether they think it is somehow lacking.
At sane speeds, in the real world where most of us live, the XPower is excellent.
Zero issue of understeer in my hands so far, on wet or dry roads.
I do select sport though to ensure I have 4wd if I am pushing on.

Last edited:
I know we are veering OT - that's what forums do! - but...

My previous car was a Golf R mk 7.5 with tad under 400 bhp.

Sorry, but the MG4 Trophy is light years away from it in terms of handling, turn in, body roll, grip, interior materials, ergonomics (real buttons/dials for lots of the common adjustments) and the software was a different league. Plus with OBD11 you could tweak lots of the cars software to your own configuration.

The X-Power has to be better in terms of handling, but the other issues remain.

The Golf didn't have lane centring, but I could use the ACC virtually everywhere - you just had to preempt it on sharp bends, and you were going less than the set limit, where the radar lost sight of the car in front and would speed up. I find the MG4 ACC unusable in comparison it is stop/go system not smooth at all, and TJA is far too jittery on steering.

I do like the MG4 and enjoy driving it, I just wish the software wasn't so crap. Would I buy another MG? At this stage probably not, there are increasing numbers of good secondhand EVs on the market now and the supply is going to get better. So, for a lower price you can get a better car albeit a year or two old.

I similarly read a lot of reviews but relied more on my own assessment and for me the balance of power, handling and comfort is ideal. I didn’t want a rock hard suspension like a previous mini cooper s. Here, at last is a decent review of the Xpower on a track looking at handling and brakes etc which shows it does have impressive on limit handling and good brakes, good to know for an emergency at least:

What's the default power and regen setting on the x power ? Full beans and max regen would be my preference but I'm guessing the fun police haven't made it so ?

Mine is normal with max regen.

You wouldn't want in on "Full Beans" as a default (imo) as this will just waste power.
I've got Sport on my right shortcut so I get both motors when required.
And a full application of the loud? (Quiet!) pedal gives you 4wd also.

Last edited:
Can I ask where the info is on what is and what is'nt available in each mode :-

Is AWD only available in Sport mode ?

Cheers

Might be in the manual (which I haven't looked at)
Adjust on screen which I'm sure you know 👍
And permanent 4wd if sport selected.
There is a custom mode as well, again which I've not used.
Happy with how MG have set it up. 20230924_092232.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, yeah I've setup custom etc on the screen and also setup my left steering wheel shortcut to switch the drive modes easily. I just was'nt sure if AWD was available in Normal mode as well as Sport.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom