XPower feels slow and launch control not working

olliewebb

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Not sure if this is related to outside temperature, or battery temperature levels... but my XPower feels slow all of a sudden and I cannot get it to trigger launch control either. Feels like a sub-8 second to 60mph car instead of a sub-4. Even when you're rolling if you floor the peddle it just doesn't really get up and go.

Anyone else experienced this? Googling it wasn't really fruitful.

Feels like a standard MG4 rather than an XPower.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is related to outside temperature, or battery temperature levels... but my XPower feels slow all of a sudden and I cannot get it to trigger launch control either. Feels like a sub-8 second to 60mph car instead of a sub-4. Even when you're rolling if you floor the peddle it just doesn't really get up and go.

Obvious question...are you in ECO mode or energy saving by mistake? Not sure if also a low battery % SoC affects this as the car could decide to limit performance?

Can you take a video?

Charging the battery now and I'll test it again > 50%, but all the same, I didn't think it limited performance until it got much lower.

I will say I've only ever managed to get launch control to work once during the near three weeks I've had the car.

Last edited:
It helps to treat the car and the battery more gently during the run in period: possibly get the battery to see the <10% level and then slow charge to 100%.

So set battery heating and took it to 42% at home car won’t give me more than 68% power at full throttle and launch still not working.

Even checked the mat hadn’t slipped under the pedal as a last resort.

Drove spirited to a 50kw charger away from home (about 20ish miles) with battery heating on and charging now, see if it works going home. Got down to 6%.

Car feels slow, my previous car (F55 Cooper S) would absolutely destroy it right now.

I thought I'd read that launch mode takes the car to circa 66% power? (Select the relevant mode [Sport?], foot hard on brake, foot on accelerator, power rises to ~66% and the car gives a nudge, foot off brake whilst still full on accelerator, and launch).

I thought I'd read that launch mode takes the car to circa 66% power? (Select the relevant mode [Sport?], foot hard on brake, foot on accelerator, power rises to ~66% and the car gives a nudge, foot off brake whilst still full on accelerator, and launch).
Not getting that. Power of 68% is with the throttle pinned rolling from 30 to 70mph down a dual carriageway.

But that's not launch mode. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, launch mode won’t engage as per my pervious posts.

I know how to use it, I’ve used it before.

Alright, update on this, after getting up to 70% I got 100 power again. Didn’t have chance to try launch as it was rush hour traffic.

I presume it was to do with the battery being cold.

It’s quite annoying as the point of my having a car with this sort of punch is to safely whip around slow moving things in the countryside, not having any sort of warning is an oversight.

Thanks for the update. So it seems like we need to keep the SoC above 70% and the battery as warm as possible to get full 100% power.

I’ll try it tomorrow … I’m currently at 65%. Will have a quick blast and see what power I get then come back home to charge to 80% if required and try again and see if I get the same as you 👍

Battery might need slow charging and balancing too. As I said, take the SoC to below 10% and slow charge to 100% in one go let it equalise.
If you can , do that twice in a row to get the BMS to learn your battery pack voltage across all cells.
Warning the battery shouldn’t be necessary unless it’s freezing. Perhaps a quick 10 minute battery heating before heading out.

I park my car in a heated underground car park for part of the month and the benefit is unreal.

I reckon it's probably a combination of both the battery being cold and being on the low side at 35% SOC

Isn't that a bit off putting/annoying not having full power, if it's a certain temperature or below a certain percentage of charge etc. Doesn't seem right that. 🤔

Isn't that a bit off putting/annoying not having full power, if it's a certain temperature or below a certain percentage of charge etc. Doesn't seem right that. 🤔
I'm used to fairly high tuned turbo'd petrols, where if it's colder you actually get more power. 😆

Also I'm used to a little bit of poop from an ownership experience, I have two classic MGs, and have previously owned Alfas. 👀 The last four cars I've had were MINIs and BMWs, and honestly they were just so bloody competent they made my other halves Audi look like a Lada in terms of reliability, I perhaps really need a expectation check.

Last edited:
Sounds more like an issue with the individual car rather than a overall issue. Definately one for the dealer (if they cannot fix you are entitled to a full refund). This has been an issue with some cars and MG appear to have a fix, but you need to contact dealer and give them a chance to fix.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom