XPower feels slow and launch control not working

I had the same issue you described on the way home yesterday, 27% SOC and it was capping at 60% power with accelerator planted in both normal and sport mode.

Any improvement/change since you first experienced it? I really don't think it's supposed to be that way 😕

I had the same issue you described on the way home yesterday, 27% SOC and it was capping at 60% power with accelerator planted in both normal and sport mode.

Any improvement/change since you first experienced it? I really don't think it's supposed to be that way 😕
Nope. It's still slow under 30% SoC. Only solution is to charge it or use battery heating.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sit right with me, if it's software-based and meant to protect the battery, it should be the same for everyone...and perhaps mentioned somewhere in the manual.

I'm still going to contact the dealership, even if I just live with it, it needs to be on record. We'll see what they say.

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't sit right with me, if it's software-based and meant to protect the battery, it should be the same for everyone...and perhaps mentioned somewhere in the manual.

I'm still going to contact the dealership, even if I just live with it, it needs to be on record. We'll see what they say.
I think the current draw in the x-power is a lot larger and the algorithm is probably over protective. They definitely should mention it in the manual.
I think some other EVs just heat up the battery pack and don’t even ask the driver.
Bear in mind if you preheat the battery while charging you get better efficiency at very low temperatures anyway

Frustrating nonetheless but at least now we know it’s only a problem if you let the battery go cold or if you have 10% charge remaining as tested by Bjorn during his 1,000km xpower test at -25C

Nope. It's still slow under 30% SoC. Only solution is to charge it or use battery heating.
So if you have battery heating enabled even at 30% SoC you get 100% power? Or is there a step down anyway?
Granted the battery heater must have been on for a few minutes to warm up the battery, right?

I can't find the post, but either on here or Facebook someone tested & listed the power limits based on SoC %

Something like 40% SoC gets you 80% power etc etc...can't remember the exact figures but if I find it, I will post it.

So if you have battery heating enabled even at 30% SoC you get 100% power? Or is there a step down anyway?
Granted the battery heater must have been on for a few minutes to warm up the battery, right?
Yeah you have to heat it for a long time - and then you're well under 30%. :cautious:

I thought based on other members feedback/testing, no one else besides Olliewebb (and now..me) had experienced or could reproduce the same issue in their Xpower. I could be mistaken.

I imagine eyes gotta be on the road in that scenario haha, and I can't wait to try it out ! Mine is only 7 days old so I haven't dropped the hammer like that yet, but I have enjoyed occasional short bursts of maximum electrons. It's also been frigid here so I'm waiting until it thaws out a bit. But this virtual nanny state governing my available power is truly bothering me!
I did my first proper launch control yesterday at approx 54% battery charge and all worked fine. I wasnt looking at the power level, simply foot on brake then accelerator fully down, waited for clunk, then foot off brake and then 🤣🤣🤣 all round.

I did my first proper launch control yesterday at approx 54% battery charge and all worked fine. I wasnt looking at the power level, simply foot on brake then accelerator fully down, waited for clunk, then foot off brake and then 🤣🤣🤣 all round.
At the minute the roads where I live are too muddy for it to work unfortunately!

Launch on mine won't work sometimes even if the battery is at a high SoC. It has to be warm - so you have to use battery heating or "yo-yo" it a load to get it warm.

Although cold yesterday the quiet country lane I tried it on, was dry. One thing to mention was that it was after a 45 minute drive at mostly 70mph therefore battery may have been warm enough, Up to now not had any performance issues.

Last edited:
ID.3 (Pro, 58kwh, 200ish miles in this weather between charges, 204bhp for reference) shows you how much power is available on the driver's screen. Typically below 100 miles you start to see it reduce (and is usually fairly linear dependent on usual factors). It's independent of range and whilst the two are related I've found it helpful to use both at different times.

Reason I mention it is I agree with those above who talk about some form of notification being both useful and safe.

Whilst by no means a perfect system, in the VW it means that I have a better idea of how much power is available at all times. It doesn't seem like much but reading the comments above makes me think I may well miss it when the XPower turns up, finally, on February 15th. Not quite Valentines but means that I'll be able to give the one I truly love my full attention. And my other half can do whatever she wants to do in peace!

Very interesting tests in Bjorn's video below. Seems the Xpower is one of the worst he has tested for loss of power at low SoC. :-

He thinks using Sport mode may keep the battery warmer and recommends this mode for better grip and performance and for better power at low SoC.

Source : Courtesy of Bjorn Nyland Youtube :-

Xpower 0-60 at SoC.jpg

Last edited:
I don't mind the reduced power, just wish it would warn you about it. It's not really safe to lose so much power, when you go to put your foot down and it's no faster than a regular MG4.

Any update Ollieweb on your loss of power ?

Anyone else experiencing similar loss of power at low SOC and at what %

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom