I’ve just done some trials and ‘energy saving mode’ does appear to be one motor driving but it drops out when you floor it with an alarm that it’s been disabled due to high energy use or something like that, and the second motor kicks in.
In sport it drops out fairly easily when you put your foot down but in eco it’s takes a bit more effort.
So far can’t get it to disable front motor completely.
Any other suggestions?

I’ve just done some trials and ‘energy saving mode’ does appear to be one motor driving but it drops out when you floor it with an alarm that it’s been disabled due to high energy use or something like that, and the second motor kicks in.
In sport it drops out fairly easily when you put your foot down but in eco it’s takes a bit more effort.
So far can’t get it to disable front motor completely.
Any other suggestions?
I think thats similar to what I got ... some sort of warning that "mode was unavailable" until I really floored it in Sport mode.

As to other suggestions ... personally when I really, really need the range I will stick it in Energy Saving Mode, turn off the AC (just low fan and heat on in Winter) and then just drive with a very light touch.

I think you’re right, just feather the throttle in energy saving mode and eco with heating on low.
Don’t think you can completely disable the front motor. Never mind at least I now understand a bit more about the car and how to get the best range from it.

I think thats similar to what I got ... some sort of warning that "mode was unavailable" until I really floored it in Sport mode.

As to other suggestions ... personally when I really, really need the range I will stick it in Energy Saving Mode, turn off the AC (just low fan and heat on in Winter) and then just drive with a very light touch.

Im lucky that I no longer need to consider range on a daily basis, being retired, so will be enjoying the car whenever I can 🤪
However at the moment got one long journey down to Dorset next year for a holiday, so will definitely be in eco mode etc then.

You can get a hard copy if you like.....

Doesn’t specifically say it uses only one motor, but it makes sense if it does. Thanks once again.
I’ll select it and floor it to see if the front motor shows up on the energy consumption screen, any excuse! 😁
Even in eco, the front motor is used in certain situations.(Pulling away with some lock applied for example)
Select the energy usage screen and you can see the front motor being activated from time to time.

Last edited:
I’ll soon have to do my first Xpower road trip, so I’d love to know what other Xpower drivers have for their accumuled miles/kWh? Mine was at a steady 3.0 for the first 700 miles or so, but has now (1509 miles) dropped to 2.9. So far I’ve only really pottered around in it, with very few motorway miles. 99% of the time I’m in Eco mode, with the heater on at 24 degrees, and the fan at about a third (keeps the windows from misting up).

Just to recap what I've found regarding energy saving mode.
As far as drivetrain is concerned, in eco, normal and sport, the 'energy saving' mode just alters the point at which the 2nd motor cuts in, apart from 'snow' where it won't switch on at all as the car is in constant 4wd mode.
Sport is also constant 4wd until 'energy saving' has been selected, then it's 2wd rear motor only until you try to accelerate quickly then it gets disabled and returns to constant 4wd. This is also true of Eco and Normal apart from the fact they're never in constant 4wd.
Clear as mud?!

I’ll soon have to do my first Xpower road trip, so I’d love to know what other Xpower drivers have for their accumuled miles/kWh? Mine was at a steady 3.0 for the first 700 miles or so, but has now (1509 miles) dropped to 2.9. So far I’ve only really pottered around in it, with very few motorway miles. 99% of the time I’m in Eco mode, with the heater on at 24 degrees, and the fan at about a third (keeps the windows from misting up).
Ok because I love a good spreadsheet and to overanalyse everything, here is what I am recording for my car, it is interesting that the GOM uses different efficiency (miles/kWh) at the start and end of a charging session. I have also learned my lesson about finding cheaper fast chargers for long journeys and will probably go for the Telsa chargers at around 41p/kWh (with the subscription) where possible not an InstaVolt at 85p/kWh.

For calculation purposes I have used the MG figure of 61.8 kWh = 100% charge

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 12.25.21.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 12.25.21.png
    406.3 KB · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:
MG do not agree, they claim 61.8, I wonder if they changed the spec

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 14.55.28.png
    Screenshot 2023-12-23 at 14.55.28.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 65
That's changed since the original specifications. EV-Database took their data from official specifications.

Which setting is ‘rear motor only mode’? Is it eco? Or do I need to do anything else?
It’s ’mainly‘ rear motor in all modes except sport, will switch if needed to all wheel drive- hard acceleration, hard throttle out of corner, lack of traction etc- in sport mode it’s full dual motor mode except in reverse.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom