XPower outguns Smart #1 Brabus

I took a Brabus out for run for an hour about a month ago.
It is a quick car and the build quality is far better than the MG4, but i did find the ride quite crashy. Brakes where fine, no issues with the couple of hard stops i gave it, but obviously i wasnt on track or anything.
The Wife hated it lol.

What would you like me to pull??

One of the two loose threads on my rear seats (that have been used about 3 times in the year I've had it, from new). The cheap foam with lack of support on the front seats. The buckled under tray (that's still there), the creaking noise from the rear over slow bumps, the two rattles in the front, one on the drivers door, the other behind the dash, this is after fixing the rattle on the vents under the glovebox. The whistle off the rear spoiler. The Alloy covers that damage the alloys underneath (17's),. The crap Chinese Continental tyres that are border line dangerous in the wet. The thin exterior paint that chips if you look at it. The numerous radio and software issues........ stopping here before I rant about the non build quality issues the MG bring as well.

Just to add, I'm not interested in buying a Brabus, just had the opportunity to test drive one.

Enjoy your honeymoon period! I hope it last better than my relationship has.

I can only imagine that some peoples cars have been built by kids on the Chinese equivalent of the "YTS"
"Youth Training Scheme" (mid 80s joke)
(Tongue in cheek to avoid doubt)
I really feel for you.
Now my car has been built down to a price, no doubt about it, you can see this in different places around the car.
But actual build quality?

I really have nothing to grumble about in that department.

Fit and finish is fine, no squeaks or rattles, no groaning from any components.
(The Wife is NOT a component!!!)
(I'll gloss over the steering vibes at 65 -75🤣)
My paint is 2800 miles in, and I don't have a single chip, scratch or mark anywhere.

I've heard complaints about the tyres, but unless I am really pushing the car hard, the tyres behave impeccably.
They WILL let go, but only when I am provoking them.
(I've just realised we're not talking about the same car, so feel unable to give feedback regards 2wd MG4 models.)

My wife and I both agree that the seats are extremely comfortable, but of course we are all different shapes and sizes so that's another subjective item.
I came out of an Audi Etron, and have had numerous Germans in the past, so can tell the difference re quality.

I came to MG with much lower expectations, mainly because I was paying a much lower price. (50% less in the case of my Etron) and I have been pleasantly surprised.
I do feel for you though.
Nothing worse than an annoying rattle or creak in your new car.

Last edited:
The French Bulldog of hot hatch EVs.
More SUV than hatch. I think Smart even refer to it as a SUV/Crossover.

I quite like the interior, feel is very Merc-like, having driven one it’s got nicer steering than the XPower too. I didn’t want to pay the extra £100 a month they wanted for one over an XPower so I crossed it off the list along with the EX30.

Last edited:
I can only imagine that some peoples cars have been built by kids on the Chinese equivalent of the "YTS"
"Youth Training Scheme" (mid 80s joke)
(Tongue in cheek to avoid doubt)
I really feel for you.
Now my car has been built down to a price, no doubt about it, you can see this in different places around the car.
But actual build quality?

I really have nothing to grumble about in that department.

Fit and finish is fine, no squeaks or rattles, no groaning from any components.
(The Wife is NOT a component!!!)
(I'll gloss over the steering vibes at 65 -75🤣)
My paint is 2800 miles in, and I don't have a single chip, scratch or mark anywhere.

I've heard complaints about the tyres, but unless I am really pushing the car hard, the tyres behave impeccably.
They WILL let go, but only when I am provoking them.
(I've just realised we're not talking about the same car, so feel unable to give feedback regards 2wd MG4 models.)

My wife and I both agree that the seats are extremely comfortable, but of course we are all different shapes and sizes so that's another subjective item.
I came out of an Audi Etron, and have had numerous Germans in the past, so can tell the difference re quality.

I came to MG with much lower expectations, mainly because I was paying a much lower price. (50% less in the case of my Etron) and I have been pleasantly surprised.
I do feel for you though.
Nothing worse than an annoying rattle or creak in your new car.

Now I’ve owned my Xpower for over 2000 miles and 4 months I totally agree with your comments ✌️👌👍.

Let us know how you find yours in a few months time with your Michelin Pilot Sport 5’s please …. I’m really thinking of fitting Pilot Sports in the Spring and getting a Hunter wheel balance at fitting to minimise the vibration issue.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom