Xpower - queries from a potential new owner

Jonknee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 XPOWER
Hello all. First time poster and have never owned an EV before.
I'm strongly considering an Xpower as the salary sacrifice deal available to me is currently quite tempting.
I have had a short test drive but coming from a 6 year old BMW, the interior didn't exactly impress. It is all about the performance. The interior is personally subjective though and I am sure many are very happy with it. Maybe I'm just not used to the minimalist design.
Anyway, I have few questions after browsing this forum if any Xpower owners can kindly answer. Sorry if any are a bit stupid! I might throw in some non-Xpower questions to keep everyone on their toes, too.

Does preconditioning the battery and preheating the cabin work if the car is plugged in but not charging? I've seen this is a bug but wondered if it is fixed for the Xpower?

Does the custom drive mode allow you to choose AWD or RWD only?

I can't tell if the Camden Grey Xpower version comes with the black roof and mirrors having looked at a few online. Does it? The one I test drove was green.

What charging cable did you get (as standard)?

Seen a recent post on here suggesting a swipe down menu now has easy access to turning LKA off. Is this true of the Xpower software too?

I have an iPhone. Any connectivity issues over bluetooth with the Xpower software?

I didn't notice the vibration at 70 mph on my (admittedly short) drive on a dual carriageway. Is it something you begin to notice after some time in the car?

Anyone using OVO Charge Anytime with a MG4? Works ok with the car?

Finally, this would also be the first time I've leased a car as opposed to being a private buyer. With all the software revisions, how easy is it to get dealers to update the software when you haven't actually bought direct from them? Any experiences of this?

I apologise that the above reads like set homework but would be grateful of any replies.

Thanks, J.

What charging cable did you get (as standard)?
All MG4s normally come with a shortist granny charger only (4m or so lead length).

Seen a recent post on here suggesting a swipe down menu now has easy access to turning LKA off. Is this true of the Xpower software too?
As far as I know the XPower infotainment software is the same as the non XPower software, so yes if you are on the right version.

I have an iPhone. Any connectivity issues over bluetooth with the Xpower software?
Bluetooth issues still exist in the latest infotainment software versions but they are improved. However if you plug in for CarPlay, you do not need bluetooth.
Finally, this would also be the first time I've leased a car as opposed to being a private buyer. With all the software revisions, how easy is it to get dealers to update the software when you haven't actually bought direct from them? Any experiences of this?
Dealers are not paid to install updates outside of warranty issues or annual servicing, so this very much depends on your dealer's attitude. I would phone around and find out the local policies near you. It shouldn't make any difference how you buy the car.

- Mine came with a granny charger but if you buy through the MG Affinity Scheme or on a lease I believe you may get a Type 2 cable (not sure if this is instead of or in addition to the granny cable)

- The Custom Settings allow ECO, Normal or Sport power modes, as well as options for steering etc. It does'nt allow RWD only mode AFAIK. iF you want permanent AWD just choose Sport.

- I don't recall seeing LKA on my shortcut swipe down menu. I'll get back to you on this.

- My Camden Grey Xpower has a black roof and black wing mirrors (see my previous post and photos). I'm pretty sure the roof is a black wrap on mine.

- I have an Iphone 12 and have not had any bluetooth connection problems so far (two weeks in)

- There is a seperate thread on the hum/vibration that's worth a read. You will probably notice it if you try and find it. It seems to be very subjective as to what drivers think of it ! For me I have not found it an issue and found it can be easily avoided by adjusting speed slighty.

IMG_2513.jpeg

That’s my swipe down menu on a UK spec Sept 2023 Xpower

Thanks, both.

I saw your car photos but couldn’t work out if the mirrors and roof were black, JonnyG. I’m thinking the grey colour would be very unobtrusive. The proverbial sleeper.

This is the thread that mentions a possible LKA shortcut albeit not a Xpower.

MG4 SR - Infotainment version Updated today

Has the preheating bug been fixed? I might hold off ordering the car till I know this works properly.

Cheers, J

.........This is the thread that mentions a possible LKA shortcut albeit not a Xpower.

MG4 SR - Infotainment version Updated today

Has the preheating bug been fixed? I might hold off ordering the car till I know this works properly....

Maybe in the next software update for us then.

I'll get back to you on the preheating bug ... I've just unplugged last nights charge !

I see the pre-heat is being mentioned a bit more on other threads, I assume due to the colder weather upon us.

Is the bug fixed for the Xpower? Lots of owners have taken delivery. I’m hoping one of you has tried it whilst plugged in but not charging!

With all the software revisions, how easy is it to get dealers to update the software when you haven't actually bought direct from them? Any experiences of this?
Easy as can be.
Obviously will depend on the service folks, but I bought my ZS from one dealer, and have had all the software updates done (for free, or as part of a service) from another.
As ar result of the good service, I bought my Xpower from them.

Hi,
New poster here to!
Picked up Bobby my Camden Grey X-Power just under a week ago.

I've had no connectivity issues but pretty much only use the wired CarPlay.

Not noticed any vibrations at speed, but coming from a Fiesta ST Bobby is practically a cloud.

Did not know about the preheat thing.

Other things I've noticed & raised on other threads:
Lights - Great for spotting satellites not so great for going forward (currently in today to get fixed)
SOS - System call failure - randomly will just fail (currently in today getting a new SOS brain)
Auto-fold mirrors - Automatically unfold even if you manually close them bit of an issue when parking in my garage, my husbands Tesla & previous Kona stayed closed until manually opened again (If I've missed a trick people please let me know)

As for being a proverbial sleeper. It's definitely that. 9/10 people just see a grey car on the road but I had one chap nearly fall out of the passenger seat of his car when he spotted the callipers!

My salary sacrifice Tusker Xpower came with a granny charger and also a type 2 to type 2 cable so you can charge at public AC chargers if need be.

battery pre heating, I think it says this is only required if you have temps below -10c or did I get that wrong?

..............Auto-fold mirrors - Automatically unfold even if you manually close them bit of an issue when parking in my garage, my husbands Tesla & previous Kona stayed closed until manually opened again (If I've missed a trick people please let me know)

Is that after locking and unlocking ?

Didn’t know there was a setting-must be buried. I’ll double check. & yes I manually fold them then lock & on unlock they open

I think that's fairly typical of the MG !! Nearly everything is set back to default each restart !

Having read the manual to find out how to manually fold them 😁 (I didn't know - new owner here too !!) I saw a few notes :-

Quote from manual :-

"Electric Folding

"When the vehicle is powered on, rotate the round knob to "O" position, and push the knob down. The door mirrors will be folded automatically. Pushing the knob downwards again will return the mirrors to their original position.

Note: While unlocking/locking the vehicle, the exterior rear view mirrors will be deployed/folded automatically."

I think that's fairly typical of the MG !! Nearly everything is set back to default each restart !

Having read the manual to find out how to manually fold them 😁 (I didn't know - new owner here too !!) I saw a few notes :-

Quote from manual :-

"Electric Folding

"When the vehicle is powered on, rotate the round knob to "O" position, and push the knob down. The door mirrors will be folded automatically. Pushing the knob downwards again will return the mirrors to their original position.

Note: While unlocking/locking the vehicle, the exterior rear view mirrors will be deployed/folded automatically."
But I think there's a setting to disable that feature. :)

But I think there's a setting to disable that feature. :)
I did have a look & it only related to disabling the function completely. I.e on lock they stay out.
It’s not a problem just another of my girls quirks 😁
Sorry Jonknee slightly high jacked thread! If your patient the quirks of the XP are endearing 🤣

No apology needed. However, you managed to get faster replies over the mirrors than I have over the cabin pre-heating so hats off to you. And I still haven’t got an answer regarding if the bug affects the Xpower.

I think I’ve become a bit obsessed over the cabin pre-heat but want another reason to justify the purchase of an EV to my wife.

PeterXpower, I’m querying the cabin preheat using the HVAC not battery pre-conditioning. Sorry for any confusion. The bug in question is whether you can pre-heat the cabin whilst plugged in but not charging. Cheers!

No apology needed. However, you managed to get faster replies over the mirrors than I have over the cabin pre-heating so hats off to you. And I still haven’t got an answer regarding if the bug affects the Xpower.

I think I’ve become a bit obsessed over the cabin pre-heat but want another reason to justify the purchase of an EV to my wife.

PeterXpower, I’m querying the cabin preheat using the HVAC not battery pre-conditioning. Sorry for any confusion. The bug in question is whether you can pre-heat the cabin whilst plugged in but not charging. Cheers!
I can pre heat my Trophy when it's plugged in but not charging as long as it hasn't been charged to 100%. When I start the pre heating, the car also starts charging so it needs to be less than fully charged to let that happen. I have a dumb Podpoint charger that starts charging immediately it is plugged in unless I've set a schedule in the car. It might not work the same with some other chargers.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom