XPower Real World Range - owners feedback

I guess it all depends on how you drive it and at what speed 😁

I did 210 miles up and down the A1 and got 3.0 miles per kwh overall doing 70mph all the way (all in ECO mode and high regen setting apart from a few changes of mode to test the vibe/hum).

On setting off on local roads with a fully charged and warm battery, ECO mode and High regen set, I was getting 4.5 m/kwh for the 10 miles to the A1 slip road (at a steady 40mph following other trafic).

After the 105 mile trip up my 100% battery charge had dropped to 48%.

I reckon at a steady 56mph I'd have just about got there and back on one full charge. It's the speed over 50 that knocks it down.

This is always an interesting question when you are talking about performance vehicles. If economy was a priority, why buy a performance version in the first place? I've fielded this question many times in the ICE world and it does tend to polarise opinion amongst the petrolheads!

I’d believe the claimed range is achievable. Will I likely get that, most likely not. it’s a choice, the regular cars will also get WAY less than WLTP if you thrash them so anything can NOT achieve the stated figures 😊
I’m definitely not disappointed in the economy of it even when giving more smiles per mile.
I’m getting 10p/mile roughly as I’m still on a regular tariff but that’s still cheaper than the car I came from (15-16p) and it was a sluggish boring car with 1/3rd the power so I’m already ahead. When I cut the price of a kWh by 66% I’ll look like The Joker I think!

This is always an interesting question when you are talking about performance vehicles. If economy was a priority, why buy a performance version in the first place? I've fielded this question many times in the ICE world and it does tend to polarise opinion amongst the petrolheads!
I don't know if there is a big difference in efficiency between xpower and normal models, but if it's close then it's nice to have something that's reasonably efficient with stuck behind slow traffic, but still has the performance when there is a oppotunity to use it, even if it uses more juice.

it's nice to have something that's reasonably efficient with stuck behind slow traffic, but still has the performance when there is a oppotunity to use it, even if it uses more juice.
Letterkenny GIF by Crave

I think it is because people often consider a purchase like this as their main or only car and want to know that it can do everything including the long trips they have planned. It is wanting to have their cake and eat it.

The great thing about electric motors is that fitting a high output one ( or two ) doesn't hit efficiency like a large capacity ICE does.
The wider tyres and losses from the extra gear train coupled with the 150kg weight penalty probably accounts for the x powers range loss more than the total system kW potential.

The great thing about electric motors is that fitting a high output one ( or two ) doesn't hit efficiency like a large capacity ICE does.
But presumably driving it hard will. And presumably the sort of person who chooses an xpower is also the sort of person who will drive it hard?

Unless maybe you compartmentalise your journeys into "I'm having fun today" trips and "I'm going to be sensible and economical today" trips.

Having a high performance car doesn't necessarily mean you lead-foot it everywhere. My wife loves her MG4 and drives it very sensibly, getting very good consumption figures. But when she needs to overtake safely, or pull out of a junction quickly, the power is there. I find the same with my Tesla Model S - very powerful car, but I only use that power rarely, when needed. But it's really good to know it's there under your foot should you need it (and when you occasionally want to have a bit of fun ;-) ). The other aspect of the X-Power that hasn't been mentioned yet is 4 wheel drive. This is incredibly useful for maintaining grip on poor road surfaces, regardless of the power behind it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom