Year old car 60k on clock would you buy ?

I can't help but feel that this car is significantly too expensive. 63k mls is roughly 5 yrs of average use; it will have been about £22,000 when purchased new; it might have voided it's mfrs warranty and it does show wear. Plus you have no way of knowing how the battery has been treated.

Bearing the above points in mind I would say a more realistic price is between £10-£12,000.
Not sure I would agree. The old Vauxhall Ampera Hybrid, were fetching £10k with 99k miles when they were around 8 years old. I know it's a hybrid, but still a marker

Last edited:
Put the details in we buy any car and see what value they think it’s worth. I made money on my hybrid when I sold it to them. I was amazed at the offer. If it’s got full service history and mg warranty why not?
Cazoo pay higher..... my MG5 Exclusive, 11 months old, 16k they now value at £25,475 - over a grand more than I paid new!

If we just consider that the car has covered 60,000 miles in just twelve months, I guess it is safe to assume that the majority of its charging cycles have been carried out on a D/C rapid charger.
Why ……. Well It has not spent much time standing still ( only when it was charging ).
To pile that amount of mileage on the clock, in that very short space of time, I would hazard a guess 95% of its charging will be D/C.
It’s good testimony to the car okay, but it is fairly likely that you would be buying it, in the knowledge you well might be it’s last owner !.
Or conversely, if we are guessing/assuming, 60,000 in 12 months is c250miles per day, taken over a 5 day week 4 week month. i.e. 20 working days a month
This is easily achievable with a short rapid, or even an AC during the day and overnight charging on AC.
Equally could have been a taxi and they are all over the place clogging up the free 7kW chargers round here during the day, so may never have seen a rapid. Unlikely but possible. Facts are the only reliable things otherwise it's all guessing/assuming.

I'm sure the car will retain a history of all AC and DC charging but this may only be dealer accessible.

Local to me a garage has a 70 plt sr Excite in white with 63k on the clock for £19999,
would you buy it ? Or run for the hills
Last August I paid £21,000 for the excite with 5 miles on the clock pre registered . Looks like that one you're looking at is way overpriced especially with the miles covered.

Considering they are currently not even allowing you to book a new MG5 here in Thailand, I reckon that vehicle would be scooped up in seconds even with that high price if it was here.
Google Translated from a Thai article:

"Therefore, the company Considering the limited production capacity of electric vehicles, it is necessary to request to stop accepting electric vehicle reservations for the NEW MG EP PLUS model, which will stop accepting reservations from May 13, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. We would like to thank our customers for their trust. and support the company And MG cars have always been very good. If there is a change in the company Will let you know in the next opportunity."

I'm VERY happy that I was one of the first couple hundred people in Thailand to get their hands on one of these cars in 2021.

My first MG5 appreciated by over £3000 in the 6 months I had it and it looks like the LR I replaced it with has too.
I bet there aren't many new cars we could have chosen to buy that would have done this over the same period!
My Kia Ceed is worth as much p/x as I paid for it 2 years ago @20 months old ,4k on clock
Now 3 year 8 months old with 12k on clock
retail is around £15k with higher mileage on 😧

There's a lot to be said for the 'now price'

Given the fact all manufacturers are giving huge estimates on lead times, and seem to keep moving the goalposts, I'm not surprised the market has risen to capture the desperate and impatient.

And sadiq is warbling on about another ULEZ expansion. Which has some of my work colleagues very concerned (work is about 5 miles inside the new zone, a significant volume drive in from outside the M25) to the point they're ditching diesels ahead of the potential £12.50 daily charge added to the commute cost. I'm sure many others are looking at newer vehicles with some level of urgency.

The recent huge rise in fossil fuel prices are driving up the demand for EV’s.
That is given I think.
ICE drivers who liked to mock the EV drivers only 12 - 18 months ago, have taken a very different view point now alright !.
High demand for EV’s are causing LONG waiting lists, which in turn has increased the price of both new and second hand EV’s.
Two year old EV’s with high residual values are seeing owners receiving almost the same price paid ( new ) by their owners at selling time.
The problem here is of course, is that the price of the new EV has increased massively in line.
Poor supply of almost ALL new cars in general, is causing over inflated prices requested for good second hand units.
Now is not a greet time for buying over priced used second hand cars IMHO.
This bubble has to burst at some point, but given the “Perfect Storm” surrounding us right now, I can not see this bubble popping for another 12 months yet.
Strangely enough, I pop in to our local supermarket today.
While there I decided to put some fuel ⛽️ in the wife’s little Fiat 500.
Yeah - I know, but she thinks it’s cute 🥰.
Remember, I have not visited a petrol station for a while now and have to admit that I have lost touch of just how much fossil fuel has increased in price.
Well, I stopped pumping when the amount on the pump very quickly racked up, that I had spent £50 in almost the blink of an eye.
It only gave me about 6 gallons roughly !.
On the drive back home, I kept repeating the following words ;- 50 quid ,,,, 50 dam quid ?.
So it’s not rocket science, it is easy to understand why the demand is SO high for EV’s.

Now gone up to £26,175 with 17.5k miles! Shame I can't get a new one to replace it!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220825-101128_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-101128_Chrome.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 67
Now gone up to £26,175 with 17.5k miles! Shame I can't get a new one to replace it!
That’s a better investment than my stocks 😂. Lots of problems with supplies for the motor industry. I got my car on a lease. Are you going for another MG?

I can't fault the car tbh. OK it has the occasional glitch with the infotainment screen going blank and the sat nav is woeful, but apart from that it's been great and with a 400 mile weekly commute and currently paying 6.5p kwh, it's saving me £300 a month. Problem is, because there's no grants and MG increased their prices, the money I'd have to put towards another new one, would wipe out any savings I've made 🤔

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom