• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Year old car 60k on clock would you buy ?

63k mls is roughly 5 yrs of average use

So what? Cleevely recently said that they expect their similar high mileage (in terms of rate) MG5 to go on for 150-180,000 miles. Most EVs will not die from excessive mileage, but age or accident. I look at the number of people doing less than 3,000 miles per year and wonder how they justify the cost per mile of a new cars age related depreciation. They could buy this car, replace the driver's seat and pedals, and the car will still likely die of old age or accident rather than mileage.

it will have been about £22,000 when purchased new

Again, so what? They got a good deal, but you can't get it today. A new MG5 is over £30k if you can wait.

If you really want a new Mg5 you could pay top price for it
As seen on auto trader today
359F4997-BB84-43A0-BDEF-DE92B23D05CC.jpeg

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Someone would be laughing all the way to the bank😃

I look at the number of people doing less than 3,000 miles per year and wonder how they justify the cost per mile of a new cars age related depreciation.

Glad it's not just me! The premium of going EV I offset by the fact I do a solid amount of mileage that I now won't have to pay fuel for. Otherwise I would have bought a 1 litre fart bucket for commuting.

Glad it's not just me! The premium of going EV I offset by the fact I do a solid amount of mileage that I now won't have to pay fuel for. Otherwise I would have bought a 1 litre fart bucket for commuting.
Last time I looked the UK was a free country where you could do what you liked with your own money 🙄
I only do 4/5k a year , but with the cost of used cars being silly I’m gonna cash in on my Kia ,
plus the finance rate is good , if the dealer changes it significantly I will ask for my £500 back and walk away

I look at the number of people doing less than 3,000 miles per year and wonder how they justify the cost per mile of a new cars age related depreciation.

I tend to keep my cars for many years and when I bought my first brand new EV for £21500 there were not many second hand EVs about with any half decent range. A new Ford Focus with bells and whistles at the time was more expensive.

I did then move on to my second EV, so impressed was I by the first after just a year. I got what I paid for it when I sold the first and still got a good price on my 5LR.

I at various times have been a 20,000 or a 60,000 a year driver but now just 6/7000, and I don't have to justify the cost to anybody, it's my money, my car and it makes me feel good, a lot better than an ICE would or a second hand EV with a range of 100 miles.

Edit...just looked at the price of a new Focus and they range from £23500 to £37500 plus any option packs/paint etc... so who said EVs were expensive 😂

and to confirm it's not just MG....

due to customer demand and supply chain disruption, new factory orders are currently unavailable on new Focus.

Last edited:
I always think that high mileage cars are reliable. Or are they now a money pit? Much to expensive at that mileage.

People are of course free to spend their money how they wish, the question was how they justify that to themselves. I tend to buy and run until its on its last legs or pass on before its considered too high a mileage to pass on to another owner.

An EV with 60k on the clock (even in a short space of time) isn't what I would consider a high mileage for the powertrain. I suspect most EV's will mechanically outlast the interior and we'll see many examples of vehicles on the road over 200K miles, most people consider anything over 100k on as high mileage for ICE.

People are of course free to spend their money how they wish, the question was how they justify that to themselves. I tend to buy and run until its on its last legs or pass on before its considered too high a mileage to pass on to another owner.

An EV with 60k on the clock (even in a short space of time) isn't what I would consider a high mileage for the powertrain. I suspect most EV's will mechanically outlast the interior and we'll see many examples of vehicles on the road over 200K miles, most people consider anything over 100k on as high mileage for ICE.
Its not the drivetrain that would cause concern, but the battery health that would need carefull checking.

Its not the drivetrain that would cause concern, but the battery health that would need carefull checking.
Which is not the easiest thing to do on an MG5. What does "good" look like?
It currently appears that battery life is mainly a function of chronological age and Rapid charges, not mileage. Going back to the 63,000 mile car, that begs the question about how it was charged* which will have a major effect on the health of the battery. With Nissan LEAF that data is easily attainable, but it doesn't appear to be on the MG5 unless anyone knows better?
* 240 miles/day @ 3miles/kWh = 80kW which represents around 12 hours/day on AC so utterly feasible even if requiring two charges per day. But more likely it would be at least 50% DC charging.

With that much mileage, I'd want to know what the charging breakdown is (AC or DC fast/rapid)? Would be easy for the degradation to be "advanced" if it's all DC fast/rapid. And just in agreement with others, seems a little overpriced for that much mileage.

Local to me a garage has a 70 plt sr Excite in white with 63k on the clock for £19999,
would you buy it ? Or run for the hills
I buy and sell if you can send me reg and mileage I will give you a value

I paid £21,390 for my 21 plate Exclusive and the Excite was available for £19,390. Both at Vic Young.
I appreciate that they have gone up dramatically since but with 17k miles left on the warranty I think someone is having a laugh at £20k.

If we just consider that the car has covered 60,000 miles in just twelve months, I guess it is safe to assume that the majority of its charging cycles have been carried out on a D/C rapid charger.
Why ……. Well It has not spent much time standing still ( only when it was charging ).
To pile that amount of mileage on the clock, in that very short space of time, I would hazard a guess 95% of its charging will be D/C.
It’s good testimony to the car okay, but it is fairly likely that you would be buying it, in the knowledge you well might be it’s last owner !.

Local to me a garage has a 70 plt sr Excite in white with 63k on the clock for £19999,
Like other post stated, it’s over priced, wouldn’t worry about mileage but would be looking at considerably less on purchase price because of mileage. Keep for a couple of years doing low miles and it comes back into mainline mileage for year.

Put the details in we buy any car and see what value they think it’s worth. I made money on my hybrid when I sold it to them. I was amazed at the offer. If it’s got full service history and mg warranty why not?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom