Yes or no????

I also live in Cornwall and would recommend the train! On the A30 there are a few charge points at Lifton (really useful but off the main drag) and the A303 has plenty of places. A stop around Yeovil on the way up and back should cover it.
😂😂

Let us know how you get on, I'm needing to do the journey to London from Cornwall (deep dark west though so 300 miles) Would be good to hear charging spot advice. I'm thinking I'll probably need to fill at 40p so it's not going to be saving a huge amount but would be good to give the car a run out (I get it start of September)

Can’t speak from experience (won’t get car for a couple of weeks) but I asked similar question about traffic jams - apparently EVs are better than ICE cars in jams as main battery doesn’t run down fast when stationary.

As for chargers being available to use, try planning sites with multiple CCS connections to improve the odds. And have backup plans.
Good advice. I agree.

The M4 has a number of places with varying numbers of chargers. Using Zap-Map or plug share - find the one with the most chargers, and try to not time your arrival at lunchtime - and you should be fine.

Personally, I would probably do a top up charge (not 100% - but enough to get to and out of London) on the M4 into London, then a top up (enough to get home) going out.

Depending on where you’re going, you can also pre-book a parking place at someone’s home - some have type 2 home-chargers available - using an app like justpark.

I did over 425 miles in one day driving South coast to past Midlands and back in one day. Unfortunately there wasn't a charger where I stopped gor an few hours so stopped for two short charges on way home. Easily sorted with Zapmap finding one of the way that wasn't too expensive. Even easier now that gridserv upgraded motorway units more regularly

Hi there,

Please be gentle with my nervous noob question😬…

I have a trip to the middle of London coming up (I live in Cornwall - just) which is about 220 miles each way.

As the MG5 is VERY new to me should I risk taking it or take the wife’s gas guzzler?

Concerns - availability of charge points (as in if the are free), possible charger problems & getting stuck in traffic jams with possibly low charge (planning M5 then M4).

Any tips and advice welcome!

Thank you,

M.

Don't worry about it - there are more rapid chargers in London than you think and each one is only a few miles away from the next one. Central London is largely BP, Shell, ESB. Be careful with ESB - some are TAXI only. Or even pop into MG on the Marylebone Rd and ask them for a quick splash - they have chargers round the back. Enjoy the trip.

Bottled it and took the diesel.
In my defence I’ve only had it 2 weeks.
Interested in the other long journey experiences on here and I think once I’m comfortable with charging (only needed to once so far) I’ll be more than happy.
Home charger being fitted Monday so looking forward to that!

M.

😂I know what you mean!
Zap-Map is good. Loads of charge stations around Bristol if you come that way. Mollies near Cribbs looks good.

Hi, just start collecting apps and RFID cards.
The GOM is quite good so you will be happy to take it to 20%

I should have used Mollies yesterday. Went from Weymouth to Manchester and back. Charges Northbound at Gloucester Services and briefly at Sandbach and then refilled in Stretford to 82% before heading home.

Another charge at Hilton South and then it all went wrong.

Needed another 30 miles to safely get home but Michael Wood services had comms issues, Gordano services was out-of-order and I ended up at Sedgemoor services where Ecotricty's app swore blind the CCS was in use and therefore I couldn't have it. An emergency reset of the charger sorted it and calmed my rising anxiety.

Next time I'll stop at Mollies and have a drink while it charges.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom