Yet another question about charging. MG EV ZS mkii

elthaco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi there,
I have the MG ZV EV mk22 (with LFP battery), and I keep finding conflict info.

Can I charge it to 100%?

It seems that it's better to charge to 80%, but I currently dont have a home charger (apartment leaving), and I was wondering if it was ok to charge it to 100% when I am at destination chargers (7, 22kw).

Appreciate any insights.

You can charge to 100% on any AC type2 EVSE and it will balance the cells too if you leave it connected after it has reached 100%.
On a Rapid DC charger go to between 80-90%.

Hi there,
I have the MG ZV EV mk22 (with LFP battery), and I keep finding conflict info.

Can I charge it to 100%?

It seems that it's better to charge to 80%, but I currently dont have a home charger (apartment leaving), and I was wondering if it was ok to charge it to 100% when I am at destination chargers (7, 22kw).

Appreciate any insights.
The conflict is probably down to some posts asserting that the LFP model (the 51kwh) had to be charged to 100%. Which wasn't correct. No ZS EV has to be charged to 100%. It was that the BMS gets a better idea of state of charge if you take it to 100% every so often so might report more accurate percentage/SoC.

From a battery health point of view the manual's advice is the same on both cars, but as N2STY has pointed out previously, the LFP battery should suffer somewhat less degradation over charge cycles.

No worries. I think I will keep doing 100% on granny and type 2. And around 80% on DC chargers.
Thanks everyone that replied.

Simply - MG recommendations are for each model.
Standard range model ( yours LFP ) plug in and allow the car to charge to 100%.
Long range model, for every day usage charge to 80% SOC.
Then for longer trips, fully charge to 100%.
Conducting a balance cycle about once a month, although again this will vary from different charging patterns and usage cases.
Of course there is going to be times when your usage is going to demand something different.
But MG have given this as guidance package.
Charging to 100% and leaving the car hanging around for days and days, is uniformly recognised as not good practice of course.
Either is using a rapid charger to charge above 80% either, because the time taken to go from 80% to 100% SOC takes WAY too long and holds up other people waiting.

The conflict is probably down to some posts asserting that the LFP model (the 51kwh) had to be charged to 100%. Which wasn't correct. No ZS EV has to be charged to 100%. It was that the BMS gets a better idea of state of charge if you take it to 100% every so often so might report more accurate percentage/SoC.

From a battery health point of view the manual's advice is the same on both cars, but as N2STY has pointed out previously, the LFP battery should suffer somewhat less degradation over charge cycles.
This is well put the biggest problem is you don't have a option to automatically stop charging at 80% on the SR so going to 100% is just easier and it's been designed like that to give the BMS a easier time
in theory the SR degradation charging to 100% should outlast LR to 80\90% but using that theory charging a SR to only 80\90% could last 3x longer

At the end of the day the BMS is designed to look after the battery no matter what you do for 7 years with a max of 25% degradation or you get you battery replaced
(No one answer fits all)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom