Zap-Map and Sat Nav

Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have ZapMap premium so I can use in in Android Auto and in one of the FAQs on the ZapMap site, it says:
You can pull up routes that you have planned on the mobile app and punch out to Apple Maps or Google Maps to get turn-by-turn directions.
but doesn't explain how. Has anyone tried this feature?

Anything on here help?…

Edit - this link as well…

Seems to suggest you can use a ‘location’ to open your mapping software (google maps etc)

Anything on here help?…

Edit - this link as well…

Seems to suggest you can use a ‘location’ to open your mapping software (google maps etc)
Unfortunately, there's nothing on there. It says, a couple of times, that it can link to sat navs or Google maps for turn by turn directions, but never says how!

You select a charger point on the map. In the window that opens at the bottom click the direction arrow in orange diamond. You then choose what Nav app you want to use

Attachments

• 420EBAEB-0395-444F-8910-F908A4BA0BE2.jpeg
    420EBAEB-0395-444F-8910-F908A4BA0BE2.jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 34CC784D-68AD-4560-A388-6698EBFC6573.jpeg
    34CC784D-68AD-4560-A388-6698EBFC6573.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 75
ZapMap doesn’t do any of the navigation, just lets you push charge locations into your Nav app of choice.

Use what looks like the orange right turn button to drop out to maps, it's already set the charger as your destination within Google Maps for instance and has begun the navigation there.

I must admit I cancelled my ZapMap premium within the seven days as I couldn't see it did anything for me - possibly me misunderstanding it.

I must admit I cancelled my ZapMap premium within the seven days as I couldn't see it did anything for me - possibly me misunderstanding it.
I can see myself doing the same thing. I thought (hoped) that I could transfer the route to my nav app of choice and have it navigate me the whole route. Seems pretty pointless if it'll only take you to charge points, especially if the nearest one to your destination is still miles away from it.
Just as simple to plot a route using Google or Waze and just use Zap-Map to find the most suitable charger(s) on the route and edit the plan on Google or Waze as necessary.

Have you tried ABRP? Might be worth a look. Can even enter vehicle type, and it has MG4 in its list…

Have you tried ABRP? Might be worth a look. Can even enter vehicle type, and it has MG4 in its list…

Still need a premium sub for ABRP to work with AA though.

Yes I was rather disappointed it didn't work better as I really didn't mind paying for such a useful resource and I rather hoped it would allow me to pick the charge destination of choice on the fly depending upon how the journey / energy use was progressing.

I might try it again as I have seen you can plan a route to 'Show All' charge points en-route but the devil is in the detail, if that works nicely in AA then I'd pay for it.

A tip, find the best charge stops and mark them as favourites within ZM, it cuts out all the nonsense.

Screenshot_20230115-164216.png

Screenshot_20230115-164158.png

My journeys will largely be Devon to Cheltenham or London, soo I've sat and marked as fav all those that I'm happy to stop at.

Truth is after a while you know all the ones to go to from experience and you almost don't need ZM. We're all on a learning journey :)

I find ABRP is better for planning than zapmap if you want to transfer the route to Google maps or similar. Under share from the route planning screen it transfers all of the waypoints and the destination across. I haven't found a way to do this with zapmap.
As I understand ABRP route and using that in AA or is it has an algorithm that is optimised for EVs, e.g. I think it accounts for hills, though I've not investigated enough to understand how much of a benefit this is in reality.

Well, I'm not bothering with Zap-Map or ABRP. They are just too clunky to use and I find it almost impossible to edit a route after planning it. The initial route plot always takes me via places I want to avoid, and trying to add waypoints to steer it in the right direction is a pain.
I'll go back to plotting on Google Maps and just use Zap-Map to find chargers on MY route. Unfortunately, Google Maps on a PC does not show EV charging points, although the phone app does.
Before anyone suggests running LDPlayer on my PC to be able to run the Android version of Google Maps, it doesn't work!

ABRP is £3.99 per month, but probably cheaper if you pay annually. Mind you, I'll probably use combined it with my car sat nav anyway. Don't like Android Auto. I prefer using a different system to my mobile's, always have

ABRP is £3.99 per month, but probably cheaper if you pay annually. Mind you, I'll probably use combined it with my car sat nav anyway. Don't like Android Auto. I prefer using a different system to my mobile's, always have
Not sure the value of ABRP if you're not using it with AA.
Would be interested in view of others that have used the paid version .

What about this? Haven’t tried it but maybe worth a look?…

The premium version allows you to choose electric as the fuel type, and appears they should have the charging points too. Plus it works with AA and CarPlay

Edit - you can choose EV Mode in the free version and has all charge points

Last edited:
Well, I'm not bothering with Zap-Map or ABRP. They are just too clunky to use and I find it almost impossible to edit a route after planning it. The initial route plot always takes me via places I want to avoid, and trying to add waypoints to steer it in the right direction is a pain.
I'll go back to plotting on Google Maps and just use Zap-Map to find chargers on MY route. Unfortunately, Google Maps on a PC does not show EV charging points, although the phone app does.
Before anyone suggests running LDPlayer on my PC to be able to run the Android version of Google Maps, it doesn't work!
I'm using Google Maps in Chrome on a laptop and if you put in your starting point and your destination and select the car icon it gives you the option to show EV charging along the route.
You can then add the EV charging point to your route.
1673852240861.png

@Ian Key Now that's better, thanks! I hadn't noticed the EV charging button before :rolleyes: .

Now, if only someone could come up with a Zap-Map or ABRP type app with the ease of route planning of Google Maps that would work on the desktop/laptop as well as via a phone app in Android Auto :unsure: I'd be more than willing to pay an annual subscription!

It’s a wonder you can’t sign in to Google on the different devices and transfer the map / route over. You can do this with pretty much everything else it seems…Mail, games etc

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back