No, MSP [ Modular Scalable Platform, designed for EVs ] platform is next, as per the MG4:

Attachments

• 2024-MG-ZS-EV-rendering.jpg
    2024-MG-ZS-EV-rendering.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Think I've worked out why the ZS EV is available in other markets with the sunroof but not in the UK. Looks like some of these other markets are getting the ZS for the first time as a 'new' model - but the same as the UK current model apart from the sunroof (?).

The UK is not getting the sunroof again for the current model as this would be inconsistent with plans to release an all new model later this year. Likewise I'm guessing the other markets will not see the new model until sometime after the UK.

Had thought briefly that we could import the current sunroof version from India as it could be cheaper also but... unlikely to work as Indian regulatory requirements for the car are likely to be different to ours and could, for example, not be as safe. Insurance companies also do not like imported cars and suspect often charge a lot more to insure them.

Think I've worked out why the ZS EV is available in other markets with the sunroof but not in the UK. Looks like some of these other markets are getting the ZS for the first time as a 'new' model - but the same as the UK current model apart from the sunroof (?).

The UK is not getting the sunroof again for the current model as this would be inconsistent with plans to release an all new model later this year. Likewise I'm guessing the other markets will not see the new model until sometime after the UK.

Had thought briefly that we could import the current sunroof version from India as it could be cheaper also but... unlikely to work as Indian regulatory requirements for the car are likely to be different to ours and could, for example, not be as safe. Insurance companies also do not like imported cars and suspect often charge a lot more to insure them.
Just buy one with a pano roof, there’s 11 currently on autotrader.

Not read all the comments here, but this looks exactly the same as the ZS LR Trophy I got early this year.

The infotainment system looks the same, we've got the same USB/wireless charging and twisty selector for drive. We've got a panoramic sunroof as well.

ZS EV hasn't been available with the sunroof since 2022 as was stopped because of component shortages at the time. So I'm guessing you didn't buy new?

Have considered going down secondhand route myself just to get sunroof but have now committed to new without it.

Main reason are the discounts at the moment as the ZS EV Trophy LR is available at £26,128 and in Dynamic Red through MG's Affinity scheme. This is about £10,000 less than list and makes 2022 ZS's look expensive right now.

If a new version of the ZS appears later this year with the same panoramic roof, could be tempted again to buy it!

ZS EV hasn't been available with the sunroof since 2022 as was stopped because of component shortages at the time. So I'm guessing you didn't buy new?
No it was a brand new car. 9 miles on it when I drove it home.
Registered on a 73 plate, but not sure I can workout when it was manufactured.

1000089851.jpg

Professionals in India like the ZS EV and especially like it's panoramic roof it seems!

I must be missing the joke. This looks exactly like my 2022 ZS.
Different markets get the 'same' car released at different dates around the world? Suspect that's why MG reintroduced the panoramic roof as makes sense for a new market. UK doesn't qualify as was available from 2021-22 with the sunroof but hasn't been since. But don't want to reintroduce it because a new ZS or other SUV is due later this year. Not just guesswork either as lots of hints of this in the press.

I did see the decision to the remove the sky roof on the top spec models was more of a cost cutting measure TBH.
If I remember correctly, the ZS EV Gen2 facelift model, had three price rises in pretty quick succession.
The top spec model also got caught in the cross fire when the grant was suddenly removed after MG had already released its pricing structure after the budget.
This affected the high spec model.
The next price rise seen the announcement to removal of the sky roof at the very same time, which was a double whammy.
MG have always marketed themselves on bringing cars to the market at a lower price structure than the competitors.
This was very evident when they first released the original ZS EV in the U.K. back in 2019.
The main competitor came from the likes of the e-Nero etc.
But these models were around £10,000 more expensive than the MG ZS EV Gen1.
As time passed and orders increased, so did the pricing of the ZS EV.
Over time, due to high demand the price gap became eroded, to the point where the huge price gap had almost disappeared.
Other EV models coming on line was also a factor.
Increasing the price, but cleverly removing the sky roof maintained the profit margins without over pricing the model above the competition.
Shipping costs for MG started at around £300 per vehicle, but quadrupled in price as Tesla was in a better position ( at the time ) to buy up many of the spaces on the ships.
Will the sky roof return on the new ZS EV on the new platform???.
I guess that will depend on what sector MG is placing this new model.
Will they try and under cut the competition or do they consider they can now mix it with the big boys on pricing ?.
We shall have to see !.

If the Skyroof is such a significant cost factor then why has it been introduced to places like India, Malaysia and Thailand? Argument given for its discontinuation in 2022, component shortages because of Covid, sounds plausible to me.

You would also think the UK market should be as able to absorb the skyroof cost differential as well as other markets, especially when you consider how popular the Tesla Model Y is despite its less functional panoramic roof.

Suspect it's very likely MG will bring it back with the next ZS.

If the Skyroof is such a significant cost factor then why has it been introduced to places like India, Malaysia and Thailand? Argument given for its discontinuation in 2022, component shortages because of Covid, sounds plausible to me.

You would also think the UK market should be as able to absorb the skyroof cost differential as well as other markets, especially when you consider how popular the Tesla Model Y is despite its less functional panoramic roof.

Suspect it's very likely MG will bring it back with the next ZS.
There’s 11 cars on autotrader so very unlikely to be manufactured in 2022…I hope!

11 new cars and all without sunroofs or 11 secondhand from 2021-22 with sunroofs? If I'd seen one new with, I would have bought it!

I must be missing the joke. This looks exactly like my 2022 ZS.
Isn't @markw's ZS the facelift (mark 2) model, with the newer headlights and the charge port not behind the MG logo?

Or are there currently 3 versions of the ZS in the UK?

Markw, is there a sticker with recommended tyre pressures and a manufacturing date in the driver's doorwell?

Isn't @markw's ZS the facelift (mark 2) model, with the newer headlights and the charge port not behind the MG logo?

Or are there currently 3 versions of the ZS in the UK?

Markw, is there a sticker with recommended tyre pressures and a manufacturing date in the driver's doorwell?
No date on the stickers there. The only date I could see on it was on the motor. I assume a manufacturing date for that unit, which was late 2022. The car looks like the one on the website to me 🤷‍♂️

20240214_165734.jpg

There’s 11 cars on autotrader so very unlikely to be manufactured in 2022…I hope!
New ones as you said that’s what you wanted!

This one is a good price and if you look at the entertainment screen at the bottom is in 3 parts meaning it has the latest firmware. If you look in the glovebox you may find the build details on some paperwork.

if you look at the entertainment screen at the bottom is in 3 parts meaning it has the latest firmware
I am a bit confused here regarding the info screen comment ?.
We have one of early Gen2 Trophy facelift models ( sky roof obviously ) and the info screen ( in three sections ) has looked like this from day one ?.
The info unit on the Gen2 is completely different to the unit fitted in the original Gen1 model.
Which we owed for two years and 20,000 miles, prior to upgrading to the Gen2 model.
It is finished in Battersea blue like the one shown above.
This colour only became available in the U.K. when the Gen2 was released.
It replaced the previous launch colour called pimlenco blue on the Gen1.

Thanks but is MG bringing back the sunroof to the UK Trophy and when? It's such an attractive feature that I would be willing to wait for it I think.
The current model ZS is due to be replaced by an entirely new model based on MG4 modular chassis.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom