ZS EV dash cam install

kiwi

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
The USB socket in the rear view mirror mount assembly makes for a very convenient dash cam installation. This is a DDPAI mini 5 4K unit and the cable is a short USB-C to USB-A. Light rain this morning when I took the picture. This is my wife's new 2023 diamond red NZ market 'excite' base RHD spec with the standard range LFP battery.

There is no published spec for the maximum permissible load on the USB outlet that I could find. However, the camera is rated at 2 amps and runs fine. It powers off when the car is locked so no drain on the 12VDC auxiliary battery.

IMG_0747.jpeg

Update: checked the voltage and current.

The mirror mount USB port is delivering 4.96V with the 750mA load of the dash cam. All good.

Still interested to find the maxium supported or specified load.

Sure the USB 1.0 and 2.0 standards set out a maximum of 5 unit loads (defined as 100mA each) and that would be the expected minimum. However, USB 3.0 allows 9 units (0.9A) and up to 1.2A for dedicated charging.

Then there is the USB Power Delivery (PD) spec which allows up to 2A and recommends cables handle 2.1A.

All of these are delivered over the type-A connector. Of course, not all cables have adequate sized conductors to handle these currents without unacceptable power loss (I2R).

With the PD spec and many USB supplies (both mains powered and 12V cigarette lighter adapter types) providing up to 2A it is reasonable to try and find the limit for this type-A outlet as most USB powered dash cams need more than 500mA.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom