ZS EV Infotainment update

Webbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
My 2021 ZS EV went in for its first service today, as part of this it had a 3 hour update called SA020 for the infotainment control module, can anyone enlighten me as to what this is? ( the dealer had no idea)

My 2021 ZS EV went in for its first service today, as part of this it had a 3 hour update called SA020 for the infotainment control module, can anyone enlighten me as to what this is? ( the dealer had no idea)
That is not very reassuring, that the dealer applied a 3 hour update to the car, but they have NO idea what it was for ???.
My understanding is that the SA020 update was to improve the responce time ( previous lag ) that was witnessed, when using the info head unit on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) models.
The update was deployed to make the unit more “Snappy” in its operation and responce time and to reduce the head unit from “Glitching / Freezing” when in use.
Owners ( like myself ) have reported to dealers, that the info unit would suffer from random crashing, and producing what I termed as the “Black Screen Of Death”.
This could be seen as simply as a brief black screen on the info panel, then sometimes returning OR the whole unit completely locking / shutting down all altogether !.
Only restorable by powering down the car and then rebooting it once again !.
A real pain if you are using the inbuilt Sat Nav on a motorway and it decides to lock out !.
SA020 was intended to address these issues.
Owners who have had this done, have said it improves the responce time of the head unit and makes the system more stable in its use.

Searching this forum for SA020, I find that it is a campaign number:

"SA020 Front infotainment Control Module (FIMC) screen freezing or MG logo looping( Update FIMC operating software using a USB flash drive and SIPS)".

Edit: FIMC doesn't seem to be one of the 23 ECUs whose version number is reported by the Unofficial Thai app.

As it is applied via a USB stick, I would think this update would be fairly quick to install ?.
I think Miles suggested about 20 - 30 mins.
I wasn't told about the 3 hour update until I arrived at the dealer at 09-00, I eventually got away at 16-30! To make matters worse they no longer give you a Morris bear!

That is not very reassuring, that the dealer applied a 3 hour update to the car, but they have NO idea what it was for ???.
My understanding is that the SA020 update was to improve the responce time ( previous lag ) that was witnessed, when using the info head unit on the ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) models.
The update was deployed to make the unit more “Snappy” in its operation and responce time and to reduce the head unit from “Glitching / Freezing” when in use.
Owners ( like myself ) have reported to dealers, that the info unit would suffer from random crashing, and producing what I termed as the “Black Screen Of Death”.
This could be seen as simply as a brief black screen on the info panel, then sometimes returning OR the whole unit completely locking / shutting down all altogether !.
Only restorable by powering down the car and then rebooting it once again !.
A real pain if you are using the inbuilt Sat Nav on a motorway and it decides to lock out !.
SA020 was intended to address these issues.
Owners who have had this done, have said it improves the responce time of the head unit and makes the system more stable in its use.
I have had a few problems with the unit freezing as you describe, let's hope this update has sorted it

The problems with my infotainment system all started after this update.

Is there a thread about your woes?
No, but before the update I never had any black screen or locking up or slow to respond touch
After the update there was no difference in the general touch screen responsiveness but the nav seems worse for that, I've had the black screen a few times and the home screen superimposed over the reverse camera image a couple of times.
I must admit the screen problems have always, so far, sorted themselves out within a minute or two without intervention from me, so it's no big deal.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom