ZS EV LR occasionally charging to 90% when set to 80%

fletchj

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am not especially concerned about this but it is odd. Wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I have the long range ZS and a 7kW wall charger. About once a month or so I charge to 100% for a long drive. Other than that I have it set in the car to charge to 80%.

The wall charger is set to come on with the start of cheap rate overnight electricity.

Mostly this works as I would expect but occasionally I check in the morning and it has charged to 90% - I have double checked and the car is definitely set to 80%. After using it for a couple of days when I recharge it, it charges to 80%. There doesn't seem to be any pattern I can see to this.

I am not concerned as a weekly (or so) charge up to 90% is not a big deal. I am interested to see it anyone else has this or can provide an explanation.

But this is budget Chinese software, so...
That is hardly the reason. IMO SAIC /MG especially do a fine job of building to a price point & the gen 2 ZS EV (vs the gen 1) is an excellent example of this. Otherwise, if the Chinese are so bad at this, one wonders why VW (who can't get their software together) have for this reason outsourced futher development to China. In general, Chinese development of EVs seem to be streets ahead of the West & only one of the reasons why the US & EU are getting uptight about this, sore losers.

In any case, bottom line is that the OP's issue is unlikely related to this comment at all.

I am not especially concerned about this but it is odd. Wondering if anyone else has seen this.
Odd, eh? Firstly, can only suggest some kind of user error or possible conflicts in scheduling SW (eg, between the car, or wall box, or in the UK perhaps power provider?). So worth checking all of that. Personally have never seen this particular issue - when it says 80%, that's exactly what you get.

Another (slim) possibility is that both trip meters need to be zeroed prior to charging. This can certainly affect 'guessomter' range calculations, but the charging level readout? I tend to doubt this.

Finally, if the problem persists, best solution would be to take it back to a service centre to have it checked out and/or verify that there is some or another hardware fault or SW update required.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is hardly the reason. IMO SAIC /MG especially do a fine job of building to a price point & the gen 2 ZS EV (vs the gen 1) is an excellent example of this. Otherwise, if the Chinese are so bad at this, one wonders why VW (who can't get their software together) have for this reason outsourced futher development to China. In general, Chinese development of EVs seem to be streets ahead of the West & only one of the reasons why the US & EU are getting uptight about this, sore losers.

In any case, bottom line is that the OP's issue is unlikely related to this comment at all.

VW are outsourcing it because it's cheap labour. The same reason as most outsourcing.

I admire your faith in SAIC's software Dev skills given the terrible UI design, bad localisation and absolutely bonkers assist systems.

Agree that the rest of the car is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you two take your petty, unrelated, argument out of fletchj's thread?

In answer to fletchj, you don't state which app you are using.
I always use the MG app and not the ohme one. It hasn't failed me yet.
It starts and stops at the right times set.
Never used the ohme app

Thanks for all the ideas. I have checked the car and the app - both are set at 80%

I have it set up to use the car to limit the charge, the wall charger provides current as soon as the cheap overnight electricity rate cuts in.

I will try changing the car setting and then changing it back to 80% and if that doesn't work I'll bring it up at the next service.

Thanks for all the ideas. I have checked the car and the app - both are set at 80%

I have it set up to use the car to limit the charge, the wall charger provides current as soon as the cheap overnight electricity rate cuts in.

I will try changing the car setting and then changing it back to 80% and if that doesn't work I'll bring it up at the next service.
You didn't clarify what the app was - MG or the wall charger.

I'd stop any timed charging on the wall charger and repeat. Isolate the issue a bit.

Its the MG app (that agrees with the in car setting) - The wall charger ia simply timed to provide power during off peak hours.

I would switch that feature off in the wall charger to rule that out.
I agree, both systems could be in direct conflict and confusement with each other.
Personally I prefer using the settings in the head unit of the car myself.
I have the charging schedule turned OFF in the App.
No real reason other than I have found settings them in the car returns a more consistent result than using the App TBH.
In the past I have made an adjustment and the App reports it has saved the charges, but it has not.
We have just returned from holiday and due to the GMT time changes, I wanted to adjust our delayed timer settings, in order to match the adjustments of the new off peak times, which have now shifted by one hour.
After making the changes in the head unit, I latter dropped back into the App in the day and I could see the adjustments made where clearly displayed correctly.
So, the car is talking to the App successfully on this occasion.
We have the older style dumb wall box unit, so there is no worry here about any conflict of delayed timer settings used on the smart units.
Give it only one option / command and there is less chance of any discrepancies over confusion is my theory.
It will work or it won't - keep it simple (y).

Is it possible that two apps connect to the car, one set to 80% and one to 90%? Depending on the movement of the two phones, one takes precedence?

Is it possible that two apps connect to the car, one set to 80% and one to 90%? Depending on the movement of the two phones, one takes precedence?
The saved value only exists in the car and/or the server, the way I understand it. The app will just read the set values back from the car when it starts up/refreshes.

That's the way understand it anyway...

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom