ZS EV refuses to start, blank screen?!

Laurence Brown

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
We had a problem today - had to try to restart three times before the car was Ready. Handbrake needed manual release.
The screen showed this almost blank screen, as attached, Does anyone recognise it?
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS
With this arrow pointing to the offside of the car.
It finally started on third attempt, on and off.
Has anyone any experience of this please?
WhatsApp Image 2021-12-12 at 10.09.40.jpeg

Last edited:
The "please pay attention...." message comes up when you put it in reverse.
If it's an Exclusive then it looks like the camera is either blocked or not working.
The car symbol shows the rear parking sensors, touch the arrow to slide it off the screen if it's too distracting or if it's covering the area of the picture you're interested in.

Last edited:
Always the first thing to try along with ensuring the 12v is sufficiently charged.

Disconnecting and waiting 10 mins then reconnecting can solve a multitude of issues in modern vehicles and other microchip filled consumer electronics too.

Yeah I have had something similar a couple of times with the head unit freezing and also after reversing off my driveway with the reverse camera view and the reversing overlay you have photographed which is normal, but when selecting D the camera image disappear leaving only the overlay on the screen, ie the 3 colour Home screen or Navigation would fail to come back on to the screen. It seems to be a software glitch which usually pulling over and turning the car off and on again would sort things out. On one occasion when leaving a charger after a (Polar) Rapid Charge session, The Nav screen was frozen and would not reset so I continued my journey with my mobile phone propped up. Fortunately, after finishing my business and returning to the car 2 hours later all was well. I took the car back to the dealer after that and I think you should do that too. I've not had anything like this for some time now, but I've had several software updates by my dealer over the past 2 years so as I say go back to your dealer.

Always the first thing to try along with ensuring the 12v is sufficiently charged.

Disconnecting and waiting 10 mins then reconnecting can solve a multitude of issues in modern vehicles and other microchip filled consumer electronics too.

I agree with your basic premise of the poor quality of public infrastructure. Interestingly I've also used that same site in the summer and charged successfully although, on each occasion, there were issues for i-Pace drivers with chargers failing to start and locking up. The site seemed like a honey pot for i-Pace drivers and in total during my 2 charging sessions I had 5 Jaguar i-Pace cars pull in for a charge in adjacent bays!

I have had a charging session terminated by a Polar Plus rapid charger (before their take over by BP) at the Milton Keynes Coachway Hub. I this occasion the charger stopped and the ZS showed HV System Failure. This would not clear simply by turning the car off and on again. However, I did find that exiting the car and locking the car, waiting 30 seconds and then unlocking and starting with my foot on the break thankfully worked. A more recent visit to this hub was unfortunately not a good experience finding 4 of the 9 bays occupied by Milton Keynes EV Mini-buses some of which had finished and were bay blocking and 3 of the remaining 5 bays displayed a fault screen! the only working CCS Rapid had just been occupied by a large Audi and the last had a car charging on AC at 7 kW because they hadn't found a free working CCS. I only had 5% charge and it was after 11 pm and the only lighting was from the motion-sensing lights in the canopy that stayed on for far too short of time to be useful. I think it is despicable that Milton Keynes council should literally park their minibuses in Rapid charging bays overnight.

Fortunately, I can mainly use home charging on Octopus still at 5p/kWh and have renewed at that low EV tariff this month. Anyone not on Octopus Go using my referral code and share a £100 referral bonus with me 50:50 use this link share.octopus.energy/zappy-guppy-175

The "please pay attention...." message comes up when you put it in reverse.
If it's an Exclusive then it looks like the camera is either blocked or not working.
The car symbol shows the rear parking sensors, touch the arrow to slide it off the screen if it's too distracting or if it's covering the area of the picture you're interested in.
Yes, the screen was frozen, could not slide off this screen.

Yeah I have had something similar a couple of times with the head unit freezing and also after reversing off my driveway with the reverse camera view and the reversing overlay you have photographed which is normal, but when selecting D the camera image disappear leaving only the overlay on the screen, ie the 3 colour Home screen or Navigation would fail to come back on to the screen. It seems to be a software glitch which usually pulling over and turning the car off and on again would sort things out. On one occasion when leaving a charger after a (Polar) Rapid Charge session, The Nav screen was frozen and would not reset so I continued my journey with my mobile phone propped up. Fortunately, after finishing my business and returning to the car 2 hours later all was well. I took the car back to the dealer after that and I think you should do that too. I've not had anything like this for some time now, but I've had several software updates by my dealer over the past 2 years so as I say go back to your dealer.
Thank you for the detailed response. The screen hasn't locked again since.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom