ZS EV skid plate v1.0 (under tray cover)

Sidemips

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Let me show you guys the first mod I did on my brand new ZS EV, hand made during the last weekend. This will hopefully help drag coefficient but also keep the engine free from too much dirt.
Homemade MG ZS EV skid plate - Aluminium 1.5mm thick
IMG-20210607-WA0003.jpg

Let me show you guys the first mod I did on my brand new ZS EV, hand made during the last weekend. This will hopefully help drag coefficient but also keep the engine free from too much dirt.
Homemade MG ZS EV skid plate - Aluminium 1.5mm thickView attachment 3478
Looks really good, what about air flow to help keep the motor cool??

Homemade MG ZS EV skid plate - Aluminium 1.5mm thickView attachment 3478
Nice piece of fabrication work mate, well done !.
Yeah - 1.5 Ali sheet light weight and strong.
If you wanted a bit of ventilation to flow through, you could always bang in a couple of lifting holes in the plate ?.
Not necessary, but just a thought !.
Very neat and tidy job mate 👍.
Are you a “Sheet Metal” worker by any chance ?.

Yep, it's the v1.0 and it's a flat aluminium sheet, I may add water drainage holes at the lowest point and use press forming, also for where the engine mounting bracket is close to the aluminium plate (only 5mm clearance)
No I am not a metal sheet worker, LOL, IT engineer actually !
Did you keep a template and are you thinking of selling this - I see you're in France so shipping to UK may be slightly problematic!

Cheers

Bloggsy

Wow nicely done! Did you try it out already? I'm courious if it makes a difference in powerconsumption. And would like to know how it is holding up with hot weather. Guess the heat coming from the road will be blocked but where does the heat from the airco condensor and the heatblock go to now?

I Guess you could also gain a lot less drag if the back "axle" was more Aero. It now looks like a giant windbrake to me.

Attachments

• 16235946562796783444839758863340.jpg
    16235946562796783444839758863340.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 370
Wow nicely done! Did you try it out already? I'm courious if it makes a difference in powerconsumption. And would like to know how it is holding up with hot weather. Guess the heat coming from the road will be blocked but where does the heat from the airco condensor and the heatblock go to now?

I Guess you could also gain a lot less drag if the back "axle" was more Aero. It now looks like a giant windbrake to me.
Yes, there is room for improvement there too, we should be able to do at least as good as on the Toyota prius

Beautiful job, inspired. A contrast to my wife’s Citroen C3 when it was MOT’s last year. The garage had to remove the under tray to do some work. 2 days later the tray fell off because the tie wrap it was re fixed with broke. - “ah all cars are now done that way because you can’t get the bolts clips”said the service manager. So they spent another couple of hours refitting it while I waited - with double tie wraps everywhere 🤦‍♂️ - used to quite like that garage !

I’d be a little concerned about insurance as well as warranty. Any excuse is found not to pay out. Great job though.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom