ZS EV Slower ‘Rapid’ charging after service

inneseaton

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi all,

I had my 2022 ZS EV Trophy Long Range serviced for the first time in February and since then it won’t charge any faster than 50kW. The dealer have advised that there were no updates that would have affected the charging speed, but it regularly charged in the high 70kW range before the service (only once have I seen it up in the low 90s as it is supposed to be able to achieve).

Does anyone have the same issue or have any ideas on why the car is limiting the speed?

As I type this I am on an Osprey point that can deliver 150kW, the most it has managed is 52kW - 28% starting capacity and temperature is 20 degrees here. The charger is displayed rate limited by car.

Thanks for any help!

Yes my 2020 zs only achieves mid 30s Kw rapid - best it’s ever done and way short of spec at 76kw.

MG refuse to accept a fault with the car because diagnostic says it’s ok.

As a result the car cannot be used for road trips - painful slow charge!

I think MG have throttled the charge rate.

Yes my 2020 zs only achieves mid 30s Kw rapid - best it’s ever done and way short of spec at 76kw.

MG refuse to accept a fault with the car because diagnostic says it’s ok.

As a result the car cannot be used for road trips - painful slow charge!

I think MG have throttled the charge rate.
My gen 1 is the same only does 30-40 but soon drops back to 30kw, car is in tomorrow at the dealer to investigate as it’s getting silly now on long journeys, my car is still using the BMS update after the first comfort update so a bit out of date but the dealer would not update it unless there was a reported issues. Has yours got the last eat software update?

My gen 1 is the same only does 30-40 but soon drops back to 30kw, car is in tomorrow at the dealer to investigate as it’s getting silly now on long journeys, my car is still using the BMS update after the first comfort update so a bit out of date but the dealer would not update it unless there was a reported issues. Has yours got the last eat software update?
Let me know how you get on. Mine had the latest software but I have no way of confirming that. Totally sketchy. They tried to charge me for the comfort update so I didn’t have to stand in the rain whilst charging.
Coincidentally mine is in for a check on Friday.
I’ll predict the outcome. MG dealers have no way of checking charging rate or battery capacity. Their only reference is the diagnostic that will say nothing is wrong.
MG customer service previously told the dealer to do nothing and have since asked me to write to them rather than call them. They have not responded to one email.

Out of interest when you run yours to 0% and do a full charge how many Kwhrs does it take to 100%.? You will see this on a public charger or if you have a smart charger at home like a Zappi. Mine takes about 28kwhrs. A long way short of the 44.5kwhrs rated.
On fast charge rate you can see the data earlier in this thread. On fast charge it should peek at 76kw then drop back - see the Fastned data.

Hi all,

I had my 2022 ZS EV Trophy Long Range serviced for the first time in February and since then it won’t charge any faster than 50kW. The dealer have advised that there were no updates that would have affected the charging speed, but it regularly charged in the high 70kW range before the service (only once have I seen it up in the low 90s as it is supposed to be able to achieve).

Does anyone have the same issue or have any ideas on why the car is limiting the speed?

As I type this I am on an Osprey point that can deliver 150kW, the most it has managed is 52kW - 28% starting capacity and temperature is 20 degrees here. The charger is displayed rate limited by car.

Thanks for any help!
Any update on this? Since mine was delivered with defective software I don’t know what it did from new. It was updated within weeks.

Does anyone else have experience of the charge rate dropping after a software update?

Charge rate is the key differentiator on a road trip. My other EV achieves full rate every time and I just have time for a 2 function stop before getting back on the road.

I won’t use the MG any more on a road trip because of the fault.

Let me know how you get on. Mine had the latest software but I have no way of confirming that. Totally sketchy. They tried to charge me for the comfort update so I didn’t have to stand in the rain whilst charging.
Coincidentally mine is in for a check on Friday.
I’ll predict the outcome. MG dealers have no way of checking charging rate or battery capacity. Their only reference is the diagnostic that will say nothing is wrong.
MG customer service previously told the dealer to do nothing and have since asked me to write to them rather than call them. They have not responded to one email.

Out of interest when you run yours to 0% and do a full charge how many Kwhrs does it take to 100%.? You will see this on a public charger or if you have a smart charger at home like a Zappi. Mine takes about 28kwhrs. A long way short of the 44.5kwhrs rated.
On fast charge rate you can see the data earlier in this thread. On fast charge it should peek at 76kw then drop back - see the Fastned data.
To be honest never let it get down to 0% but it will take about 21kwhrs from 50% so I assumed near to the quoted 44kwhr capacity but I will see what hey say not expecting much to be honest from them.

Just to update you had the car back today, the dealer had it 2 days but had MOT and service and a replacement mirror done at same time, they have updated the OBC and BMS to the latest version and told me to see how it is now but I have not had chance to charge on DC as yet, I will have to see how it performs and let everybody know if it has changed. At least no it will charge on AC when the car is unlocked so I know they have done updates on it as this one one of my big bears not been able to charge on off peak without having to use the trickle function on my charger to keep the car awake, let’s hope this is sorted also.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom