ZS EV steering rack noise

imran

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Been two months now driving this without any major concerns. Thanks to this forum members whenever I had minor glitches found a solution/advice here.

My steering makes a click sound suddenly sometimes when I make very small turn for example to avoid a puddle, or just to keep the car straight. As if something has stocked and released.

I’ve seen posts regarding steering wheel rack issues here and I worry if it is an early sign of something worse!

I’ve taken a picture of the joint if looks fine but the bolt thread seems like someone over tightened the bolt!

Will it fall in the warranty and dealer will look in to this without any charges ?

Any suggestions please

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpeg
    IMG_9737.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 161
Many thanks for your prompt reply.

Do you know the reason ? if they manufacturer had installed this incorrectly?

Faulty batch was the general concensus I think. Have a read of these threads, which are easily found if you type "clicking noise" in the search function. :)

Thanks!

Contacted dealer and booked us for 12th Jan, they said it might take a few days to get diagnosed.

I’ll be driving the car till 12th as only have one car! Hope this is okay!

I would try to get the universal joints checked, both upper and lower. If they disintegrate it is very serious so urgent appraisal is required.

Did you waited three months ? Or they took three months to diagnose?

Hopefully now they have enough evidence and know this is an issue and will replace straight way!

Did you continue to drive during the time you you were waiting for the parts ?

Any issue with a universal joint in a steering column is a safety issue.
Any visible wear would result in MOT failure and probably a "do not use" instruction.

I am amazed at the hesitancy on this issue. Track Rod Ends (another part of the steering system) have been an MOT instant failure for many years if they show any signs of wear. Universal joints are similar as the point of total disintegration is impossible to predict.

Faulty batch was the general concensus I think. Have a read of these threads, which are easily found if you type "clicking noise" in the search function. :)

I am amazed at the hesitancy on this issue. Track Rod Ends (another part of the steering system) have been an MOT instant failure for many years if they show any signs of wear. Universal joints are similar as the point of total disintegration is impossible to predict.
In my opinion the gen 2 has an updated version.
They really learned from that.
The improved version is black and is attached slightly differently. I compared both of them.

The steering rack itself has remained the same, but noises or glitches may come from it. But much less to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:
The “clicking” noise from the top of the steering wheel can still be heard on some Gen2 face lift models.
The bottom of the column looks like it has been strengthened in some way.
Has this been done to offer the UJ joints more support I wonder ?.

My one is gen 2, I believe. I’ve checked it thoroughly and looks completely fine, only the bolt thread seems like it was over tightened!

Attachments

• IMG_9737.jpeg
    IMG_9737.jpeg
    402.3 KB · Views: 105
They look to be different parts altogether to my eyes.
Top one might not have been changed?

We had the original Gen1 ZS EV and that had the knock / click that I could both hear and feel through the steering wheel at generally at about the 2 o’clock position of the steering wheel.
It first started when the car had only covered about 1,500 miles.
We upgraded to the Gen2 after covering about 20,000 miles in just over two years.
The knock / rattle did not start in the Gen2 until the car was over 12 months old and covered about 10,000 miles.
Its the same noise alright 👎.
The car is almost 2 years old now and covered about 15,000 miles.
I would say that the noise is not as bad in the Gen2 but its definitely suffers in the same way.
Which should come as no big surprise really, as both models use the same Bosch steering system.
Purely on a personal basis, I think we are seeing two different issues with these steering column assemblies.
We appear to have the more common and less serious upper steering column “Knock / rattle” and then potentially more dangerous and almost complete failures, of the lower UJ joint itself.
There is a pretty long thread on this problem that goes back to the original Gen1 way back in 2019.
Catastrophic and premature UJ failure should not be happening on cars so early in their lives TBH.
The remedial action for the upper steering knock has been to replace the steering column assembly.
Fingers firmly crossed 🤞 the replacement item does not suffer from the same thing in a short space of time.
Investigating the reasons what and why some of these components are failing so prematurely appears to be less of a concern somehow ?.
Identifying which problem you have is extremely important and it should be checked by the dealer.
If the UJ is displaying any evidence of possible future failure, then personally I would not want to be driving the car in this condition myself.
Any excessive play in this component would be a MOT failure 100% for sure, so enough said on that point.
The upper steering column knock / rattle although should be dealt with, personally concerns me much less, as somebody who has worked in the motor trade.
I am not suggesting for one minute here that anybody should ever disregard any issues that you think you may have regarding your own, or other people’s personal safety.
If somethings does not feel right, then get it checked !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom