ZS EV steering rack noise

Thanks, problem is not prominent and I feel very confident to drive till the time they will check the car, however I appreciate your suggestion and will be vigilant. Hopefully will be fine for another week or so.

Do you know how long this would be under warranty? I know they say 7 years! But is this the same whn it comes to steering wheel rack ? My one on lease and if there’s any way we can terminate the contact as they have sold us potentially a damaged goods ?

One accident caused by steering failure is definitely one too many.
I have never heard of one on any car, and it should not happen now,

The OP does not seem to indicate exactlty which car this is, but I assume a gen 1 ZS EV(?).

In any case, this was a well known issue for those cars due to sometimes faulty Bosch steering collumn parts. I had this in my earlier gen 1, but the fix was not necessarily to replace the whole thing and wait for import of new parts etc. In my case, the servcie centre opened up the dash,checked and adjusted the whole thing. It was fine from then on & the problem didn't return.

eg:

I drive a 2022 ZS EV and the clicking noise was there from day one. I ignored it for a while and then reported it to MG.
The car was fully checked by the service and they guaranteed there is no problem with the car. In the first year of service, I reported it again. MG Service again reported there is no issue.
Now after 2 years and 20.000 miles, the clicking noise is almost gone. I did not have any problem with the steering during this time.
MG is fully aware of the problem but it seems the seriousness of it differs from car to car.

These last posts are interesting. I have not seen a steering column out of the car, and I wonder whether it has a splined coaxial section to allow length variation. If not, it could explain the problem as the longitudinal stress could depend on the installation process. Too much stress could cause clicking and extra wear.

My MG ZS EV registered in Dec 2020has a broken piece of UJ on the steering column. I am struggling to get a Dealer to to take a look at it. All giving me 2 months waiting before they can take a look. Also one wanted to charge £150 to diagnose before they can determine the fault. I can see it clearly!! One said it will not be covered by the manufacturer warranty. after few back and forth i found out the person from the service and parts had no clue as to where this part fits in or it's function!

I use my vehicle to get around for work. I can't afford to be without it! has anyone come across a similar situation and have any tips to get this resolved in the shortest time?

Thank you
N

Assuming what you say is correct, obviously you should cease to use this car until it has been checked and/or repaired. I cannot imagine the result of a universal joint breaking up whilst driving. If you take the car to any MOT garage, they will have the expertise to day whether it is safe to use. Any proper garage could also do the repair, assuming they can get the parts. In fact, the faulty universal joints themselves could be removed from the column and replaced like-for-like by any reputable garage.

Assuming what you say is correct, obviously you should cease to use this car until it has been checked and/or repaired. I cannot imagine the result of a universal joint breaking up whilst driving. If you take the car to any MOT garage, they will have the expertise to day whether it is safe to use. Any proper garage could also do the repair, assuming they can get the parts. In fact, the faulty universal joints themselves could be removed from the column and replaced like-for-like by any reputable garage.
And as long as the garage use genuine MG approved parts, it can be done under warranty.

Been two months now driving this without any major concerns. Thanks to this forum members whenever I had minor glitches found a solution/advice here.

My steering makes a click sound suddenly sometimes when I make very small turn for example to avoid a puddle, or just to keep the car straight. As if something has stocked and released.

I’ve seen posts regarding steering wheel rack issues here and I worry if it is an early sign of something worse!

I’ve taken a picture of the joint if looks fine but the bolt thread seems like someone over tightened the bolt!

Will it fall in the warranty and dealer will look in to this without any charges ?

Any suggestions please
Thanks everyone I’ve got my car back, they said they knew exactly what the issue was and knew how to fix it. They took off dashboard and lubricated then tightened a few bolts and I can't hear the noise anymore; I’ve been driving for a few days now.

So hopefully the issue has been resolved, thanks once again for your help & guidance.

Last edited by a moderator:
they knew exactly what the issue was and knew how to fix it. They took off dashboard and lubricated then tightened a few bolts
That sounds a lot better for all concerned than replacing an expensive part that has to be shipped from China!

I hope that this knowledge is distributed far and wide. Of course, not all steering noises are like this, but I bet more than half of them are.

I hope that this knowledge is distributed far and wide. Of course, not all steering noises are like this, but I bet more than half of them are.
Not sure but presumably MG will share this finding n fix with their dealers.

I had the same issue on my Gen2 after just 1600miles. It was fixed under warranty within 4 weeks. Getting hold of a replacement steering column didn't seem to be a problem, rather Christmas and New Year holidays.
My local MG dealer MG Baldock Hertfordshire were brilliant.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom