ZS EV Trophy Insurance

slmorgan42

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hey

I hope to one day have my ZS EV Trophy but reading on here I noticed people having fun trying to find insurance.

Would people mind sharing their experience and more importantly success.

Many thanks

Direct line was fine with insuring a car but had to go over a phone as their website would have it with brand new car. My advice would be to not pick up a car late in the afternoon I had to sit in a car park till 18:30 after appointment at 1700 to pick up. If you can do it in the morning so you have lots of time for hiccups. If you can get dealer to register it and pick up day or 2 later so things can appear in people systems otherwise online calculators don't know what to do with you.

Ask the dealer to give you a proposed registration number for the car, then feed that information into your car insurance company ( likely to be on-line ) and it should give you an instant response.
I did this with my insurance company, the day before our collection.
It came back with the same price as our previous ZS EV ( Gen 1 ) and then offered to cover BOTH cars on the collection day for 24 hours.
After this time, the insurance would apply to our new car only.
This made collecting the car very easy !.
We where using General Accident.
Switching over / retaining our number plate was very easy also.
All done within 10 minutes and no cost either !.
Win - Win !.

I got admiral multiproduct insurance as we have another ICE car which my wife uses and also added home insurance and got lot of discounts. Also took EasyGaps motor excess cover of £500 for £35 and increased my excess with Admiral to £500 to get a further £60 discount on the premium.

I used LV for my mk1 zs. And now for my lr trophy. Reg mumber wasn't on there system but did it manually by taking a few details. Make sure you quote mg motors UK. Same price as my mk1 £264 fully comp.
I used LV for the first year on my Gen1 ZS EV and was happy with the price, however when it came to renewing the policy, the price was massively increased from the previous year !.
I therefore moved insurance company.
But now LV are sponsoring a few major sporting events - which is great !.
However, this has to be paid for somewhere ????.
Like a lot of insurance companies, they give you a good discount to start with, but then increase your premium on the following years !.
Be prepared to switch or pay, is my moto.

Like a lot of insurance companies, they give you a good discount to start with, but then increase your premium on the following years !.
Be prepared to switch or pay, is my moto.
A bill was passed last year which forces the insurance compaines to offer the same rate for new and existing customers. I can imagine that they will now offer an inflated price for everyone.

My favourite Slavic Mammal comparison site has me at £480 fully comp for my incoming LR TC.

For 25k miles a year & (ahem) 6 points I didn’t think that was too bad, only about £60 more than I currently pay for an 09 diesel Insignia

It was tricky finding someone that would recognise my 2022 SR as a real car. In the end Admiral sorted it, but it was much more faff than I've experienced before.
We had the same problem when we where looking for insurance for our first ZS EV in late 2019.
A lot of companies did not recognise the model at all !.
I was told that car insurance data bases only get updated with new models about every four weeks.
So, depending on the insurance company, this could be at different dates.
I was told by my insurance company at the time, that if I rang back in about a week to ten days, they could provide my with a quote.
We where collecting our car in two days time, so this was not an option.
I found that LV Insurance did have the car listed, and went with them.
But the following year the policy had increased by £80 so I ended up moving company again !.
Sign of the times back then.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom