ZS EV Trophy LR Regen braking strength.

MikeM

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have just upgraded from a ZS EV non facelift to a facelift Trophy Long Range. One of the first things that I noticed was that the regen braking seems weaker. Do other people who have gone from a non facelift to a facelift feel the same?

I have just upgraded from a ZS EV non facelift to a facelift Trophy Long Range. One of the first things that I noticed was that the regen braking seems weaker. Do other people who have gone from a non facelift to a facelift feel the same?
I have not driven the outgoing model, but have you made sure to set the regen on the new one to "3" which is the strongest setting. Should be that out the showroom but just checking

Yes, unfortunately facelift KERs is pretty poor, even when compared to the 1st gen:

• generally weaker in Level 3
  • still no regen with acc
  • zero regen when fully charged on the facelift - the 1st gen would simulate KERs at 100% so the system remained predictable to use
  • no regen from friction braking on facelift - so if at KERS Level 1 the maximum harvested is -6% even if you're pressing the friction brake as well - again, the 1st gen would happily increase harvesting to the maximum whatever KERs mode you were in upon pressing on the friction brake

So overall, the new car is worse than the old car in this respect - how MG have let this happen I don't know, but hopefully if enough people complain about it they might update in a future BMS?

I have not driven the outgoing model, but have you made sure to set the regen on the new one to "3" which is the strongest setting. Should be that out the showroom but just checking
Yes, first thing I checked when I took delivery. I always drive in level three, but somhow it feels weaker on the Trophy LR. I would be interested to know if others feel the same way, or is it just me?

Yes, unfortunately facelift KERs is pretty poor, even when compared to the 1st gen:

• generally weaker in Level 3
  • still no regen with acc
  • zero regen when fully charged on the facelift - the 1st gen would simulate KERs at 100% so the system remained predictable to use
  • no regen from friction braking on facelift - so if at KERS Level 1 the maximum harvested is -6% even if you're pressing the friction brake as well - again, the 1st gen would happily increase harvesting to the maximum whatever KERs mode you were in upon pressing on the friction brake

So overall, the new car is worse than the old car in this respect - how MG have let this happen I don't know, but hopefully if enough people complain about it they might update in a future BMS?
Yes, I agree completely, but how the blazes do you log a complaint with MG? They seem to have removed all direct communication from the web page.

Yes, I agree completely, but how the blazes do you log a complaint with MG? They seem to have removed all direct communication from the web page.
Use this link:

Yes, first thing I checked when I took delivery. I always drive in level three, but somhow it feels weaker on the Trophy LR. I would be interested to know if others feel the same way, or is it just me?
No - It's not just you !.
On a like for like / mode for mode basis, the regen on the Gen 2 model is NOT as strong as it was on the Gen 1 model.
After owning the Gen 1 for over 2 years and 20,000 miles and then upgrading to a Gen 2 in March 2022, I do think I can be sure of this fact.
It should be noted, that the regen strength on the Gen 1 model, did increase in strength and become available earlier, after my car received the BMS update that was released 15th Jan 2021.
Slightly more use of the footbrake is required on the Gen 2 model.
This may keep the rust from forming on the brake disc's on a positive note.
I would like to have the strength increased a little.

Use this link:
Thanks starmonkeylg: I could not find that on the web page which was more likely to be me as opposed to it no longer being there. I have now used the link to ask for software updates to strengthen the regen. I have doubts it will have any effect unless others do the same. Common guys, if you want to see the regen improve please log a request with MG.

No - It's not just you !.
On a like for like / mode for mode basis, the regen on the Gen 2 model is NOT as strong as it was on the Gen 1 model.
After owning the Gen 1 for over 2 years and 20,000 miles and then upgrading to a Gen 2 in March 2022, I do think I can be sure of this fact.
It should be noted, that the regen strength on the Gen 1 model, did increase in strength and become available earlier, after my car received the BMS update that was released 15th Jan 2021.
Slightly more use of the footbrake is required on the Gen 2 model.
This may keep the rust from forming on the brake disc's on a positive note.
I would like to have the strength increased a little.
Yes, I got the same update on the Gen 1 version which I also owned for two years and agree. This shows that regen can be improved by software update on the MG ZS EV. I do hope that other Gen 2 owners will complain about it.

It would be nice to have the regen for the ACC. I know from a video I watched of the new MG 5, that has regen when using the ACC. I've kinda just trained myself to use ACC when I know I wont get any regen, then just go back to manual driving for abit of regen.

I really want to use regen as much as possible so if i am coming up on slow moving traffic ahead, i will disengage the CC, to use the regen, but if the car has begun slowing down itself, because of the measured distance, it will use the friction brakes, and when i disengage the CC, it will not use regen at all.

It's like, if it has started slowing down, using the friction brakes, it will not switch to regen braking. I found that a quick dab on the brake pedal will wake it up, and use the regen brake.

To be honest, my fears is that the reason they dont use regen when on ACC, is they made the system to weak, and if the car uses it all the time, the car will break prematurely.

No its not just you. I noticed the lack of regen right away on my face lift compared to the mk1. Feels non existant to me. Hopefully be a update to the system soon.

I really want to use regen as much as possible so if i am coming up on slow moving traffic ahead, i will disengage the CC, to use the regen, but if the car has begun slowing down itself, because of the measured distance, it will use the friction brakes, and when i disengage the CC, it will not use regen at all.

It's like, if it has started slowing down, using the friction brakes, it will not switch to regen braking. I found that a quick dab on the brake pedal will wake it up, and use the regen brake.

To be honest, my fears is that the reason they dont use regen when on ACC, is they made the system to weak, and if the car uses it all the time, the car will break prematurely.
I don't like how the ACC brakes when approaching standstill traffic at speed, it does it quite harshly so I usually disengage the ACC before the systems attempts to brake because of this. I only tend to use the ACC on motorway anyway and I do very little braking on motorway when driving normally so regen is a mute point in that sense.

I don't like how the ACC brakes when approaching standstill traffic at speed, it does it quite harshly so I usually disengage the ACC before the systems attempts to brake because of this. I only tend to use the ACC on motorway anyway and I do very little braking on motorway when driving normally so regen is a mute point in that sense.
ACC is ONLY able to use the friction brakes so if ACC and/or Traffic jam assist is enabled it will only use the friction brake.

If you do a lot of city driving, TJA is a very nice feature, but when it constantly uses the brakes instead of the regenerative braking, it wears the brakes a LOT more than it really needed to.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom