ZS not happy charging after using Discharge setting

Kevster

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I sometimes use the discharge setting (power to load) when I go up to our village windmill I can connect the car and run the internal lights.
Today I went to the windmill to do a pre season stock check on our gift shop items.
Upon rerturning home I plugged the car into my charger it tried to start but stopped immediatly.
I tried it again resetting the car by driving it up and down the drive and then going through the plug in routine. I noticed the light go green as if to star a charge but then immediatly back to blue and the connector unlatches.
OK it may be a fault with the charger? OK so I tried the granny lead same result.
OK we have a problem. So I drive it into my workplace where there are some 7KW chargers.
First attempt the charger reported a communication error.
Second attemp it started charging and drew 7KW as expected.
Went home and plugged into the podpoint charger all was well??

So does anybody on here have an explanation? is this simply poor MG software not switching between charge and discharge correctly?
I bet if I report this to the dealer they will not have a clue.

Sounds like it had a software glitch to me and somehow you've now managed to reset it.

I've seen in one of your other posts you can lock the car with V2L running this suggest you're not older software the VCU update for DC charging I believe it has two side effects
1 you can pause charge by unlocking car so you can remove cable
2 V2L will not work if unless kept in ready mode
Now apparently there is a software update that fixes side effect 2

Now apparently there is a software update that fixes side effect 2
Yeah - I believe that the process is as follows.
After you have received the latest V2L update for ZS EV facelift models.
You can insert the V2L load cable, then boot up the car into the READY state.
Now go to the discharge settings in the charging info screen in the head unit and then select the start discharge process.
After the process starts, I believe you can shut down the car and leave and then lock the the doors and the discharge function will continue running.
You need the latest V2L update, for this option to be possible.
I am unable to test out this theory, because although I DO have the a V2L cable, I do not have the latest update applied as of yet.

Last edited:
Interesting comments guys, thanks. How does one actually load software updates to the car or does this happen automatically?
I am a bit concerned that if I use V2L the same will happen again. I guess the only way to find out is to try it. So will do it when I have the time to faf about and with a good level of charge so I can at least get to the dealers which is 15 miles away if all else fails:).
I think that although I had come out of "Discharge" mode (V2L) somehow the car software was in limbo and maybe some flag in the software was still set for discharge. I think there are some resistors in the plug that tell the electronics which plug is connected discharge or charge depending on resistance value.
Maybe I should have tried going back into discharge mode after getting back from my visit to the mill and then back then into charge mode before I drove into work and back? but I was getting a bit concerned that I had a broken car by that time.
So if anybody else has this issue It may mean be a trip to a charger with more comms handshaking than the simple granny lead or my 10 year old podpoint.
I think that currently EV's are really not for the faint hearted.

Interesting comments guys, thanks. How does one actually load software updates to the car or does this happen automatically?
Hi @Kevster sorry no the software updates can only be loaded at the dealership, as we now know the very much publicised “over the air updates” are a bit like Howard Hughes, never been seen again 🤣 !.
OTA updates were down graded from the entire car, to the head unit only, but I don’t know anybody who has seen any of them either !.
Six months ago we bought a turnip in with our weekly shop, we are still looking 👀 for that as well !.
Maybe it’s in the same black hole space with the OTA updates ?.
Trip to the dealers it is then 👍.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom