ZSEV long range 242 on 100% charge not right

wizzer99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have the new ZSEV supposed Long Range.
Fully charged the max the car will show is 242?
Nothing like the 387 as advertised.
Anyone else have the same problem or have I been given the wrong car?

Maybe range as a sticky topic could be useful? Could help with reducing the numerous threads on this.

Indeed. It utterly baffles me that someone can buy and EV and not know that the guesstimate range is just that based off previous usage.

To think you'd get anywhere near 387 miles at any point in the year smacks of someone not doing thier homework.

Indeed. It utterly baffles me that someone can buy and EV and not know that the guesstimate range is just that based off previous usage.

To think you'd get anywhere near 387 miles at any point in the year smacks of someone not doing their homework.
Quite!
Nowhere have I seen a figure of 387 miles given as achievable! 300 - 340 ish around town in the summer with loads of regen, maybe, but 387, I wish! Even the best Tesla Model 3's don't achieve that figure.
The only 'excuse' I can see is mixing Miles and Kms?

I must admit, When I bought my 2020 ZS EV in July 2020, I had not done as much homework as I should have and as all my journeys were city driving, I was expecting the WLTP of 210 miles in the Summer. I get 150-160 in Summer and 120-140 in Winter, depending how cold it is. I think the warm weather City figures are way over quoted.

Surely that should be 287? I've never seen 387 quoted.
I think this comes from the specs on MG's site &/or dealer factsheet. It shows 387 estimated miles for the long range ZS in slow moving traffic. Seems like these are being taken as a dead cert...?

Hey - I can't pretend to be any expert (still waiting for my car to arrive), but the advertised range you state is just estimated.

When doing my homework on this car, I started with the range figures here as a jumping off point: MG ZS EV Long Range. Looking at the 230 miles for city/cold, you're not far off if that's the type of driving you do. From there, some of the most useful info has been owners here sharing their real world efficiency achieved - especially in winter...it really helps in terms of what to expect.

242 =Winter range. 387 =summer range
Sorted it. Reset the master trip and gained 40 miles range. As have done a fair few longer drives at average 65mphand the car calculated range based on previous journeys. Note to self reset master trip regularly to match actual driving style / distances to stop anomalies

Ref Kithmo, I purchased my mk1 in Jan 2020 and was told the normal range to expect is 167 miles. Indeed, the old software would show that every morning after granny charge. The revised software uses previous experience, plus heater settings etc to produce some other figure, usually about 130. I can still get to 167 if I turn everything off and cancel the extended record. In winter, if you need heating and demisting etc, as at present, I can only realistically expect about 100 miles or less. It is just how it is.

Quite!
Nowhere have I seen a figure of 387 miles given as achievable! 300 - 340 ish around town in the summer with loads of regen, maybe, but 387, I wish! Even the best Tesla Model 3's don't achieve that figure.
The only 'excuse' I can see is mixing Miles and Kms?
Possibly in city where there is lots of opportunity for regen? Dealers should emphasise that WLTP is just like any ICE car's fuel consumption figure a comparative figure purely for the comparison of one vehicle against another and not what a driver should actually expect to get. Can I just say I have never seen 387 miles range quoted for ZS LR.

A useful and independent place to go for more realistic expectations is the ev-database.uk website where you can compare the expected range of the ZS EV LR and any other EV currently on sale in the UK both in winter and warmer weather under 3 different conditions. Also, note that if you fill the seats and load the boot the range drops too. The winter temperatures I see here in South East on my ZS I'd say 20-25% drop as we don't get down to the -10C that the EV Database references.
1671193447504.png

I'm 12 months in with mine and I'd say those EV database numbers are a little off from my experience its;

City Cold - 230
Highway Cold 170
Combined cold 200

For reference I'm estimating from the cold numbers from my Dec - March and this Nov - Dec Average

City Mild 270
Highway mild 220
Combined 245

Mild I've gone March - Nov (as it was unseasonably warm until Nov)

I'm 12 months in with mine and I'd say those EV database numbers are a little off from my experience its;

City Cold - 230
Highway Cold 170
Combined cold 200

For reference I'm estimating from the cold numbers from my Dec - March and this Nov - Dec Average

City Mild 270
Highway mild 220
Combined 245

Mild I've gone March - Nov (as it was unseasonably warm until Nov)
Thanks for your Real World figures, but don't forget that, the figures I quoted from EV-Database.UK were as I said and is stated in the footnotes of the table were for worst case at minus 10 Centigrade

That may be, but it's outstandingly rare to get - 10°c in the UK for any length of time.

I was getting about 170 miles last week and I'd say that's about as cold as it gets.

I'm not sure those EV database numbers have changed since the car was released last year either - they did a good job getting them as close as they did with the info they had!

Thanks for your Real World figures, but don't forget that, the figures I quoted from EV-Database.UK were as I said and is stated in the footnotes of the table were for worst case at minus 10 Centigrade
For the 2 motorway trips I did. Ruislip (london Borough of Uxbridge suburb) to Stockport return at the beginning of October and Ruislip to Canterbury return at the end of November I got range in the 270s. I was able to drive in Eco mainly as not too cold to require much heating and nor requiring A/C. Drove at 60 mph on mg pilot ( so no regen ) often behind a lorry. That range did suprise me as I thought it would be around 220. In the recent very cold snap when driving short local distances in normal mode ( to get heating ) it dropped to around 190.

While good, I'm not sure turning the heating off and slipstreaming lorries is something most would do though.

For reference those figures are mine are in Normal with the AC set to 20°c.I just leave it at that all year. I use MG Pilot a reasonable amount and tend to do normal motorway speeds. Over 70% of my mileage is on a motorway.

While good, I'm not sure turning the heating off and slipstreaming lorries is something most would do though.

For reference those figures are mine are in Normal with the AC set to 20°c.I just leave it at that all year. I use MG Pilot a reasonable amount and tend to do normal motorway speeds. Over 70% of my mileage is on a motorway.
Nothing wrong with slipstreaming as long as you don't get too close. I used MG Pilot to follow a lorry up the M5 to Worcester last week as it was doing the same speed as me. :)

I have a ZSEv Trophy long range now 6weeks old. Just fully charged to 198 miles. This should charge to 270 miles. Anyone having the same problem.

I have a ZSEv Trophy long range now 6weeks old. Just fully charged to 198 miles. This should charge to 270 miles. Anyone having the same problem.
I have the zs SE long range. At 100% charge it says 240 miles. But after 5 mins driving it drops to 200. I think that is what it can do in cold weather. I am getting a lot of range anxiety on long trips 140miles. Gridserve charging has been fine but expensive at 65p/kWh.

The car is doing 2.6miles/kWh. Never more than that.

No. Read the thread. It shouldn't 'charge to' 270 miles. That figure is a function of your previous consumption, which is dictated by your driving, the weather and numerous other variables.
I have the zs SE long range. At 100% charge it says 240 miles. But after 5 mins driving it drops to 200. I think that is what it can do in cold weather. I am getting a lot of range anxiety on long trips 140miles. Gridserve charging has been fine but expensive at 65p/kWh.

The car is doing 2.6miles/kWh. Never more than that.
2.6 miles/kWh is about right on a motorway given the weather last week. It'll probably improve to about 3.2 this week.

Edit - Assuming you haven't got the heater set to something daft like 23/24°c

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom