£1 per kWh

That will go up in 2 weeks, but not as high as the 52p that was planned.

I work in Education, the government announced pay rises for teachers, then gave us half the money to pay for them, now we're looking at being 500-750k in the hole by July after all the savvy deals we did to mitigate the energy crisis.

Whatever this miracle plan is, I don't expect it to be as much of a saviour as everyone is hoping it is. We're going to be losing several business.

That will go up in 2 weeks, but not as high as the 52p that was planned.

yep 34p average max on SVR. Different regions will vary around that figure, as yet unknown final details for these.

I saw that. I assume there is a degree of them trying to pressure the govt to "do something" for them.
I tend to agree, £1 is a very round significant number, unlikely to represent an exact increase in costs but for dramatic effect.

Whatever this miracle plan is, I don't expect it to be as much of a saviour as everyone is hoping it is. We're going to be losing several business.
Firstly, there's no plan, Truss and co are making it up as they go along and currently are playing at being mourners in chief.
Secondly Truss is committed to the Fossil Fuel industry. She will do nothing to damage their profits. So any funding will come, yet again, from national debt as raising taxes is verboten. But there's little capacity left.

Firstly, there's no plan, Truss and co are making it up as they go along and currently are playing at being mourners in chief.
Well of course they are making it up as they go along, unless the plan is in place already then they are formulating it now in the present, that's the definition of making it up as you go along isn't it ?

It makes the 6 week leadership "contest" look even more like an unaffordable luxury than it appeared at the time. The Treasury was willing to crunch the numbers on both Sunak and Truss's ideas, but as with Labour they kept quiet about them to avoid scrutiny showing them as impossible. So now we are saddled* with a Leader with no policy at a time of crisis, hiding behind other events.

* Not that I had a vote anyway, and under our constituency first past the post system for General Elections it's meaningless where I live as a pig in a Tory rosette would get in (in fact we have Bill Wiggins 🙄).

In the UK it's only Rapid charging that's this expensive, home charging should be no more than 34p/kWh so still cheaper than petrol at £1.70/litre.
Were not as lucky here.

Here we pay the hourly tariff.

Before electricity was usually cheaper at night but right now it's usually afternoons that are the cheapest so everyone runs their washing machines and so on in the afternoon, and not at night.

This isn't a political comment because all our politicians are complete idiots. You CAN'T fix a supply demand problem with money creation/borrowing/subsidising. The only thing that fixes this type of problem is to bring supply and demand back into balance. So there are 2 choices: -

1) Let the price rise until enough demand is destroyed. This one is off the table because it will kill the economy stone dead.

2) Increase supply. This is the only viable option, if it means returning to coal they will, if it means cozying up to Putin they will. They will have to do this eventually all we are talking about is how much pain we have to go through before they do it.

I'm bloody glad my MG5 deal fell through now, so I'm getting a dual fuel Dacia, and with Autogas near me at around 75p a litre as far as I'm concerned it's a no brainer!

* Not that I had a vote anyway, and under our constituency first past the post system for General Elections it's meaningless where I live as a pig in a Tory rosette would get in (in fact we have Bill Wiggins 🙄).
it's meaningless where I live as a pig in a Labour rosette would get in.

All balances out and thankfully this is not a political forum.

meaningless where I live as a pig in a Tory rosette would get in
Thank you BugEyed, that brings back horrible memories of a Black Mirror episode ….. not even to mention life imitates art with the odious David Cameron ‘Red-Top’ expose re: pigs and initiations ….allegedly

This works out about 25p a mile if getting 4kw/m. Way more than petrol in some cases.

Think osprey has jumped the gun too soon and its going to hurt them. Even ionity havnt increased their once expensive price, yet.
It takes a special something to make Ionity's prices look 'reasonable' in comparisson.

As I see things, the big problem here is that assuming there is no huge public outcry (why would there be?, the EV market is miniscule in compatison to ICE or regular electricity useage), others will see this as an ideal time to raise their own pricing to a similar amount.

It takes a special something to make Ionity's prices look 'reasonable' in comparisson.

As I see things, the big problem here is that assuming there is no huge public outcry (why would there be?, the EV market is miniscule in compatison to ICE or regular electricity useage), others will see this as an ideal time to raise their own pricing to a similar amount.
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the price of used EVs if that happens. I'm not sure that the majority of buyers do so for anything other than financial reasons.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the price of used EVs if that happens. I'm not sure that the majority of buyers do so for anything other than financial reasons.
Everyone I know who owns one does so for the financial reasons, as you said; lower running/maintenance costs, in the UK the virtually 0 tax bill if it's a company car or salary sacrifice, the PICG (before it was removed) and free entry to the London LEZ etc. Here we get an enormous financial incentive to purchase and registration costs (yes, unlike the UK it's very expensive to register a car here) are zero in most departments (we had to pay €13 'admin' fee rather than many hundreds).

I'm sure there are some that purchase for personal and/or environmental reasons, but I'm in no doubt this will be the minority.

Most of that logic remains unchanged, it largely depends on what proportion of your charging is away from home (and not free). For me it's very low due to the 250 miles range of the LR, but not everyone has home charging or such long range (e.g. Mini, Honda e, Mazda RX30 are all under 150 miles let alone older LEAF and Zoe).

Honestly, its getting to the point where I need to re-evaluate whether I should be going EV right now. I dont have a VIN allocated yet and so Octopus arent going to charge me a cancellation.

Need to run some figures and decide if I should just throw in the towel and wait until energy prices have at least stabilised, by which point the supplier pinch will hopefully be better and I can look again.
I don’t think you’re alone in your thoughts, I’m quite lucky as I’m retired and only do relatively low mileage, I would have to have a rethink if I was doing high mileage now.

I don’t think you’re alone in your thoughts, I’m quite lucky as I’m retired and only do relatively low mileage, I would have to have a rethink if I was doing high mileage now.
I’m not retired but as I work as a tramping truck driver I do low mileages so I still win with an EV
my Kia takes £65 to fill up from the light

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom