£1 per kWh

Governments all around the world have made the decision to move from petrol/diesel to electrification. Car manufactures have invested Billions in new cars. Massive amounts of money have been invested in EV charging infrastructure with a lot more to come. The UK only recently defended the price of electricity, what did they do to bring the price of petrol down? that would be absolutely nothing!

Follow the money and government policy.

Governments all around the world have made the decision to move from petrol/diesel to electrification. Car manufactures have invested Billions in new cars. Massive amounts of money have been invested in EV charging infrastructure with a lot more to come. The UK only recently defended the price of electricity, what did they do to bring the price of petrol down? that would be absolutely nothing!

Follow the money and government policy.
Nice put Ron👍

The UK only recently defended the price of electricity, what did they do to bring the price of petrol down? that would be absolutely nothing!

Wrong. The last two Governments have consistently failed to apply the "road fuel duty escalator" to keep the cost of petrol and diesel down. The last Government took sides in a war that has resulted in the failures of all Governments in energy policy over the last 50 years coming home to roost creating serious energy insecurity and steeply rising electricity and gas costs.
The current/new Government has made an attempt to keep the profits of the fossil fuel industry high whilst deferring the cost of electricity to households to long in the future. But to date they've done nothing for business and hence EV charging networks.

Wrong. The last two Governments have consistently failed to apply the "road fuel duty escalator" to keep the cost of petrol and diesel down. The last Government took sides in a war that has resulted in the failures of all Governments in energy policy over the last 50 years coming home to roost creating serious energy insecurity and steeply rising electricity and gas costs.
The current/new Government has made an attempt to keep the profits of the fossil fuel industry high whilst deferring the cost of electricity to households to long in the future. But to date they've done nothing for business and hence EV charging networks.

The point is Electricity was due to rise to 75p in per kWh January instead it's been frozen at 34p. that means at an average of 4 miles per kWh it costs less than 10p per mile, significantly less that petrol or diesel.

Last edited:
Would recommend anybody having to use Osprey at the minute to use Bonnet App, I have put just over 31kwh on my car for £13.99 in 25 minutes. This was on the Osprey charger just off the A1 in Alnwick, Northumberland and was supposed to be £1 kwh.

We know Fuel prices have sky rocketed, just look at petrol and diesel. So as EV owners, we must expect the same.

My grouch is that Electricity prices are linked to Gas prices.

My supplier, Octopus says it gets all of its electric power from renewables, so what has changed there? There are probably some price increases in their production of power, but hardly a trebling of costs.

I am very fortunate, I am retired, and have a home charger. And with Octopus, I still pay 5p/Kw, going up in October to 7.5p/Kw. So this makes my motoring, average of 20 miles/day still very cheap. If I have to do a longer trip, well I have to take it on the chin and pay much higher p/kw.

Still have to add that cheap motoring is not the only reason to drive an EV, my other reason for EV driving is to reduce pollution on the road, and overall on the planet...

(The bonus of Osprey putting up their prices, and everyone moaning about it, I bet the queues at their chargers are nill, thus a quick charge available...D)

The point is Electricity was due to rise to 75p in per kWh January instead it's been frozen at 34p.

Only for domestic users. Pricing for business has yet to be made up by Truss. Osprey are a business and already expected to pay uncapped rates which are much higher.

Don't think I'm defending Osprey, but it must be hurting for any business that's not vertically integrated like BP or Shell.

We know Fuel prices have sky rocketed, just look at petrol and diesel. So as EV owners, we must expect the same.

My grouch is that Electricity prices are linked to Gas prices.

My supplier, Octopus says it gets all of its electric power from renewables, so what has changed there? There are probably some price increases in their production of power, but hardly a trebling of costs.

I am very fortunate, I am retired, and have a home charger. And with Octopus, I still pay 5p/Kw, going up in October to 7.5p/Kw. So this makes my motoring, average of 20 miles/day still very cheap. If I have to do a longer trip, well I have to take it on the chin and pay much higher p/kw.

Still have to add that cheap motoring is not the only reason to drive an EV, my other reason for EV driving is to reduce pollution on the road, and overall on the planet...

(The bonus of Osprey putting up their prices, and everyone moaning about it, I bet the queues at their chargers are nill, thus a quick charge available...D)
i agree with you, charging cost is just a part of EV ownership, in addition to the environmental reasons no road tax and much cheaper servicing is also beneficial to the pocket, I won’t be going back to ICE any time soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree with you, charging cost is just a part of EV ownership, in addition to the environmental reasons no road tax and much cheaper servicing is also beneficial to the pocket, I won’t be going back to ICE any time soon.
It cost me £300 for a 4 year service and MOT on my Kia Ceed 1ltr petrol
VED is now £14:40 month
just filled up with £40.01 @£1 63p ltr = 24.5 ltr I ave 41mph 18ppm
I do any where from 40 miles 1 week to 140 every other week
home to work and back once aweek is 33 miles = £5:90p or £24:60 amonth
plus £36 a month when I go to my Aunts = a total monthly running cost including VED , insurance and servicing of about £121 a month
I can only see oil creeping back up again if the weather gets cold

Hi everyone just returned from a week away with over 800 miles done in my MG5 SR, now maybe I’ve been a bit lucky here but I left home last Friday fully charged and a balanced charge done also, mainly from my solar array so not a lot of cost was incurred to do that, so drove down to Suffolk for a family wedding which was fantastic,
FDF20631-A642-46A0-AEB3-946DCBFFA14E.jpeg4F3BD601-0BD4-413D-8A53-C5403BF20245.jpeg

stopped after doing around 165 miles on the way down, to top up the car and for a bit of lunch and a comfort break, car was down to mid 40% so recharged to 83% at a cost of £6.61 28ppkw for just short of 24kw podpoint at Tesco’s, so ran on and got down to Woodbridge in Suffolk for the wedding the next day, there until Sunday then we drove up to Norfolk, called again for a quick top up of the car, podpoint again but this time 32ppkw, it was a Jet fossil fuel station and general store at Darsham
Cost £8.28 for 23 Kw.
We stayed a few miles away from Great Yarmouth, in a lovely hotel and they had 2 charging points which where free to use Yippee great news, anyhow did a fair amount of driving around the Norfolk area the broads,Cromer,southward,Norwich and it’s wonderful Cathedral
F8ACB400-2ABF-479F-84F2-AE8B05B168B6.jpegÏ
Also to take a look at the new Gridserve Hub for myself ( didn’t charge there but fantastic place,) to name but a few but on free electric all week.
DD35F018-9934-4722-B1BF-5A1752F010F6.jpeg317CA3D0-1810-45A1-AAE7-A2198F3CBB28.jpeg
And some one as found a very good useful thing to do with them smelly old V8 crankcases very nice.
89441DFA-3248-4E5A-B0E8-E8F7E2F3EF3F.jpeg
Also had a look around this big boy that was charging there
A707C860-4411-4DA5-AC4F-CA9E0C870EB5.jpeg3CBB67C3-BD40-4B65-8D91-5007BA288D01.jpeg
so set off for home yesterday Friday going via Sandringham Place, to lay some flowers for the Queen,
D2632AB1-8355-4A04-83D1-13B02E62923E.jpeg

Next stopped off at Sleaford in Lincolnshire again Tesco’s podpoint 28ppkw charged from around 40- 83% while getting a bite to eat and a coffee again, £6.26 for about 23.5kw so not as yet touched a Motorway so then headed for a place in Nottinghamshire called Thoresby Hall, to have a look around what is going to be our next short break away,
1D0BBE6F-D399-435E-A9E2-7692A73D5128.png
hopefully in the Mg4 next time, we got to the M1 near Sheffield and did around the last 60 miles or so on the motorway.

So over 800 miles for £21.15p so don’t tell me running an electric car is more expensive than a fossil fuel vehicle even without the free charging at the hotel the total cost would have been under £35 pounds or so, and how much CO2 have I saved the planet in this week alone ? when we arrived back in Wigan we stopped at a MacDs for a quick bite the place was full to bursting with around 20 Car’s queuing for the drive through, very nearly choked on the fumes as we got out of the car to go in and order terrible it was, these drive through places are very bad in my book I can’t see the sense in them.

Oil and Gas we can not make, we only can drag it out of the earth burn it and then pollute our atmosphere with what’s left of it.
Electricity when can make with help of the sun wind and waves, so it will always win in the end and the sooner the powers that be are understanding that, it will be far better for us and the planet that we live on.
Les

Hi everyone just returned from a week away with over 800 miles done in my MG5 SR, now maybe I’ve been a bit lucky here but I left home last Friday fully charged and a balanced charge done also, mainly from my solar array so not a lot of cost was incurred to do that, so drove down to Suffolk for a family wedding which was fantastic,
View attachment 10980View attachment 10981

stopped after doing around 165 miles on the way down, to top up the car and for a bit of lunch and a comfort break, car was down to mid 40% so recharged to 83% at a cost of £6.61 28ppkw for just short of 24kw podpoint at Tesco’s, so ran on and got down to Woodbridge in Suffolk for the wedding the next day, there until Sunday then we drove up to Norfolk, called again for a quick top up of the car, podpoint again but this time 32ppkw, it was a Jet fossil fuel station and general store at Darsham
Cost £8.28 for 23 Kw.
We stayed a few miles away from Great Yarmouth, in a lovely hotel and they had 2 charging points which where free to use Yippee great news, anyhow did a fair amount of driving around the Norfolk area the broads,Cromer,southward,Norwich and it’s wonderful Cathedral
View attachment 10975Ï
Also to take a look at the new Gridserve Hub for myself ( didn’t charge there but fantastic place,) to name but a few but on free electric all week.
View attachment 10971View attachment 10972
And some one as found a very good useful thing to do with them smelly old V8 crankcases very nice.
View attachment 10973
View attachment 10982View attachment 10983
so set off for home yesterday Friday going via Sandringham Place, to lay some flowers for the Queen,
View attachment 10974

Next stopped off at Sleaford in Lincolnshire again Tesco’s podpoint 28ppkw charged from around 40- 83% while getting a bite to eat and a coffee again, £6.26 for about 23.5kw so not as yet touched a Motorway so then headed for a place in Nottinghamshire called Thoresby Hall, to have a look around what is going to be our next short break away,
View attachment 10984
hopefully in the Mg4 next time, we got to the M1 near Sheffield and did around the last 60 miles or so on the motorway.

So over 800 miles for £21.15p so don’t tell me running an electric car is more expensive than a fossil fuel vehicle even without the free charging at the hotel the total cost would have been under £35 pounds or so, and how much CO2 have I saved the planet in this week alone ? when we arrived back in Wigan we stopped at a MacDs for a quick bite the place was full to bursting with around 20 Car’s queuing for the drive through, very nearly choked on the fumes as we got out of the car to go in and order terrible it was, these drive through places are very bad in my book I can’t see the sense in them.

Oil and Gas we can not make, we only can drag it out of the earth burn it and then pollute our atmosphere with what’s left of it.
Electricity when can make with help of the sun wind and waves, so it will always win in the end and the sooner the powers that be are understanding that, it will be far better for us and the planet that we live on.
Les
Great post Les!

Was surprised to see you mentioned Sleaford…..moved there in 1992 from re-pat in RAF from Germany and spent a wonderful 30 years in that little market town. Moved to Fernwood (notts ) in November, but still visit Sunny Sleaford most weeks (work mainly).

Cost £8.28 for 23 Kw.
View attachment 10975Ï
View attachment 10973
View attachment 10974

View attachment 10984

Les
That Maxus is the MG5 huge brother basically

That Maxus is the MG5 huge brother basically

Cost £8.28 for 23 Kw.
View attachment 10975Ï
View attachment 10973
View attachment 10974

View attachment 10984

Les
That’s amazing Les, particularly liked dropping of the flowers for the Queen, just goes to show that the media can hype a load of negativity but in reality as you’ve demonstrated EV’s can be incredibly cost-effective.

I do like to get this guy to do the sums for me, He seems to get it mostly right. Worth a watch.

Cost £8.28 for 23 Kw.
View attachment 10975Ï
View attachment 10973
View attachment 10974

View attachment 10984

Les
Exceptional economy on the way down, 165 miles and still have over 40% left in a SR, I'm jealous, how did you manage that ?
Great report, I knew Woodbridge as used to live not too far away in a place called Mendlesham and my aunt in a tiny village Cretingham about 10 miles away. We also went to Norfolk last year and visited Sandringham and also heading towards Great Yarmouth next year.
Another coincidence we are heading to Thoresby Hall for our next short break (next year) :)

It seems we are stalking each other. 😂

Well Gomev, yeh its correct held around 60 mph going down no heating are A/c on stopped at a place called Huntingdon on the A14 I think it is Tesco 50kw charger, funny thing is when I started off that morning fully charged and balance cycle done Gom was reading 221 miles for a short while now this is not the first time I have seen this, when I first got the car after a few weeks I was away in Berkshire and I did my very first full charging and balancing session using the granny charger and was amazed the next morning to see 222 miles on the Gom.

This 220 mark has happened a few times after doing a balance cycle in the warmer weather during last summer and this but in winter normally gets around 210-212.

So you probably know I’m retired so at hame a lot in daylight so I take as much as I can from my solar panels and do so very often with the Zappi unit I have,

I just set it on Eco mode so that there is always 1.4 KW going into the car when it’s plugged in never drops below 1.4 but on a good day can be around 4.0 kw if nothing is being used in the house. I have been charging like this since I got the car 18 months ago and now 16600 miles later no sign of the range going lower in fact I do believe it’s getting better I may from time to time put the Zappi on full 7.2 kw if I know I have to drive somewhere but try not to charge above 90% and if we are shopping and I can get a free charge at the supermarket then them chargers give out around 7 kw, the rapid charging I only done on longer journeys and then only to around 80-85% but the trickle charging I do with the Zappi at home appears to be looking after my battery pack very well indeed.

Car had its first service on 28 of March 2022 at Chorley MG and they reported Battery state of heath as 100% after 11000 odd miles they also reset the trips and now its almost 6 months and car is showing 4.7 MPKH see picture below
Les.
P.s. I’m not stalking you but we might catch up on day and we can have a pint.
4EE6661C-7575-4E58-9CD0-4BB6E136A2A9.jpeg

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom