💡MG5 REAR INTERIOR LIGHT 💡

It was the fear of blasting out my son's eyes that made me position my light in line with his shoulders on the back seat. He is autistic so you never know if he will accept a change or not. I wanted to recess a light but with the shallow depth above the headlining I changed to a low profile surface fitting. It cannot be seen directly through the rear view mirror and gives plenty of light.

Attachments

• 20211020_154119.jpg
    20211020_154119.jpg
    304.5 KB · Views: 211
  • 20211020_154018.jpg
    20211020_154018.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 215
Hi all, I solved the problem of the back seat lighting by buying two of these LED lamps for £4:00p each from Halfords, easy USB charging and elasticated strap with hook for fixing to rear grab rails, problem solved.

Attachments

• IMG20220211084137.jpg
    IMG20220211084137.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG20220211084700.jpg
    IMG20220211084700.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG20220211183326.jpg
    IMG20220211183326.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 311
Hi all, I solved the problem of the back seat lighting by buying two of these LED lamps for £4:00p each from Halfords, easy USB charging and elasticated strap with hook for fixing to rear grab rails, problem solved.
Going to have a wee grump...why don't MG just fit rear lights and add a few quid to the price of the car ? if were pay up to 30odd K for the car another few quid wouldn't put anyone off !!!

Yeah but with all the other suggestions we've seen it's gonna e more than a few quid!!!

Who has back seat passengers anyway? And if they have to be a little in the dark, so what?? :)

The rear interior light should also be there as a safety feature to other drivers in my mind.
If somebody was sitting in the back seat and went to open one of the rear doors, then as other drivers approaching from behind, they would see the inside of the cabin light up and know somebody was opening one of the rear doors !.
Apart from the fact it is difficult to load small children into car seats, without the aid of any internal light in the rear of course.
Okay, in the summer of course, but a real pain in the winter months.
Adding the interior lights units themselves, would have been easy enough fix on the ZS EV face lift.
But remember the original model did NOT have any rear interior light also, therefore it would have been necessary to upgrade / replace the wiring loom to accommodate the face lift model.
Also, both rear doors would have needed interior light switches adding to the rear doors also.
They where unlikely to upgrade / replace the loom etc just to provide one extra rear interior light.
It will be included on the next model I suspect.

Last edited:
Do you have to faff around to get to just on and off as opposed to the flashing mode?

The rear interior light should also be there as a safety feature to other drivers in my mind.
If somebody was sitting in the back seat and went to open one of the rear doors, then as other drivers approaching from behind, they would see the inside of the cabin light up and know somebody was opening one of the rear doors !.
Apart from the fact it is difficult to load small children into car seats, without the aid of any internal light in the rear of course.
Adding the interior lights units themselves, would have been easy enough fix on the ZS EV face lift.
But remember the original model did NOT have any rear interior light also, therefore it would have been necessary to upgrade / replace the wiring loom to accommodate the face lift model.
Also, both rear doors would have needed interior light switches adding to the rear doors also.
They where unlikely to upgrade / replace the loom etc just to provide one extra rear interior light.
Pretty sure opening a rear door puts the light on - so there must be sensors on each door. Same one used to display when a door is opened etc.

My MG5 interior light comes on when rear passenger doors open .

Hi again Geoff I’m not sure on this, at lease not with the MG5 anyhow, because when you open a rear door the interior light in the front comes on.
Also if the car is plugged in charging or not, just plugged in, and is left in an unlocked state, with all doors closed, when you open just a rear door only, the front interior lights come on and the screen also lights up to show the state of charge.
The state of charge screen also happens if you just open the boot, while the car is plugged in, now this fact about opening the boot to see the state of charge has been commented on several times before in other threads, but you can get the state of charge screen up (if the cars plugged in does not need to be charging ) and interior light on by opening any door front or rear.

So all that being the case the wiring must be in the car somewhere I would think for any of this to happening.
Now I am only writing about what happens on the MG5 SR, the ZS May be different I don’t know, so MG Motors if your reading these posts please put a light in the rear of your vehicles can’t be that difficult or add that much to the vehicle cost surely.
Les

My solution rechargable lights hung on 3D printed hangers.Just hung from headlining.Ive since pushed them back a bit so no one catches them self .It has bonus of lighting up the boot too.
I did it this way as it's only a loan car
Great idea, I might have a go at that before my car arrives, what thickness did make the piece you pushed into the lining and did have to use petg?

It was the fear of blasting out my son's eyes that made me position my light in line with his shoulders on the back seat. He is autistic so you never know if he will accept a change or not. I wanted to recess a light but with the shallow depth above the headlining I changed to a low profile surface fitting. It cannot be seen directly through the rear view mirror and gives plenty of light.
My £10 Halfords solution is here.....

I found this clip on YouTube of an Roewe Ei5 with both a rear light and sunroof.
View attachment 7044

I have a feeling that the headlining might be deeper at this point than the UK model due to the sunroof - but would be interesting to get this light and compare to those that others have used and seem to work. But from a positioning perspective, this gives a good indication of where they intended a light to be.

My £10 Halfords solution is here.....
That's such a great idea!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom