0 to 15 mph acceleration

Yes, it's 24 plate (but phase 1). Maybe it's just normal for the MG4 because low torque number compared to the competition or ECU behaviour on full pedal. At least the car accelerates well at roll.

3. It's related?

Do you get a wheel slip at 100% power at red lights?
Try it in one and see if it's better

I've always found the initial launch a bit disappointing.

I've tested launch control with traction control on and off - makes no difference. Car does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds every time.

Here's the times I got up to 60

0-10 - 1.18
0-20 - 2.21
0-30 - 3.35
0-40 - 4.45
0-50 - 5.68
0-60 - 7.28

So acceleration is very linear, 0-20 is almost exactly the same time as 20-40, then 40-60 is only a little bit slower.

I've tested launch control with traction control on and off - makes no difference. Car does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds every time.

0-10 - 1.18
0-20 - 2.21
0-30 - 3.35
0-40 - 4.45
0-50 - 5.68
0-60 - 7.28

So acceleration is very linear, 0-20 is almost exactly the same time as 20-40, then 40-60 is only a little bit slower.
Make sense, in my opinion the inital launch should be a little more punchy, maybe it's because of the 250nm. Interesting how it works at the extended range with 350nm. BTW, on dry roads with trc off and launch control, the car brake traction?

Apparently even with TRC off it's not fully off - the car still tries to moderate things.

0-10 - 1.18
0-20 - 2.21
0-30 - 3.35
0-40 - 4.45
0-50 - 5.68
0-60 - 7.28

If i remember my school physics correctly the kinetic energy of the car is proportional to the speed squared, so for each 20mph increase, significantly more power is required from the battery. Therefore is it reasonable to assume the lower than expected acceleration at lower speeds is nothing to do with the electrical side of things?

Maybe they're worried about average drivers in a family car not coping well with anything quicker.

If i remember my school physics correctly the kinetic energy of the car is proportional to the speed squared, so for each 20mph increase, significantly more power is required from the battery. Therefore is it reasonable to assume the lower than expected acceleration at lower speeds is nothing to do with the electrical side of things?

Maybe they're worried about average drivers in a family car not coping well with anything quicker.
Correct, intial acc always quicker then up to speed (with the same power). They should give more torque at sport mode at least

Make sense, in my opinion the inital launch should be a little more punchy, maybe it's because of the 250nm. Interesting how it works at the extended range with 350nm. BTW, on dry roads with trc off and launch control, the car brake traction?
No the wheels didn't slip at all. Mine is the phase 1 with 215 tyres so would be even more grippy with the 235 (I think?) tyres on the phase 2.
It's almost like they've tuned it as if it was FWD to ease the power in. I think sport mode at least should allow a harder launch.

Use sport mode and turn off your ESC (in the top drop down menu - beside the AC controls), then try again. Beware that it can skid, use at dry asphalt.
Launch control never exceeds 58%, today with 'cold' start 49%. Sport mode activated and everything else included ESC off. No skidding noticed. I think the Trophy version is limited. Mine is a Phase 2 version.

To get full torque from a standing start you have to floor the pedal (in any mode).
The pedal power map is something like this..
Pedal map.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel