0 to 15 mph acceleration

BingBong

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, i have the Trophy version and i am feeling that the start acceleration is a little weak. It's feel like somtimes half pedal is quicker at the start from pedal 2 floor.

Maybe the max torque number (250Nm) is too low or the traction control is limit the power too much in order to avoid the smallest wheel spin. (But it's the same with trc off).

This is reflected at this situation when I want to overtake a slow ICE car at the traffic light. Someone knows about some ECU update?

1000115941.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, what driving modes are you in?
I switched from the start button to sport. Roll acceleration from speed is good. The problem is only at 0 mph to 15 mph accelerations. Looks like the power is building too slow. Which is a shame because EVs known for their instant power from 0.

I switched from the start button to sport. Roll acceleration from speed is good. The problem is only at 0 mph to 15 mph accelerations. Looks like the power is building too slow. Which is a shame because EVs known for their instant power from 0.

Has your car done this from new?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's 24 plate (but phase 1). Maybe it's just normal for the MG4 because low torque number compared to the competition or ECU behaviour on full pedal. At least the car accelerates well at roll.

If your car can do 0 to 60 in 7.5 seconds then it's probably normal, but I've driven the slowest MG4 and it was pretty quick from a standstill IMO.

I drive in Normal and have always felt that the accelerator response is slightly soft from standstill. It's better in Sport mode. My previous ev was a BMW i3 and that was off like a scalded cat compared with my MG. It does make the MG more forgiving and easier to drive smoothly, and now I'm used to it I find it ok.

Had a few EVs and have to say that my trophy is the quickest of the mark by some margin. Leaves ice cars standing at lights, the 0 to 30 acceleration is brilliant! I have it in normal mode, only if there is a boy racer with me at the lights do I nudge into sport mode.
I would have it checked.

Tbh I’ve only once really booted it from standstill ( in Normal Mode ) & it felt quick but my last car was a Focus Diesel with a 0-60 in around 10.6 so I’m obviously going to notice the improvement but I’m very impressed with how it picks up from 20, 30mph & up

Since having the car I’ve put it in Sport mode once, have you tried changing the settings as seen in picture below to see if there’s any improvement? Pedal Force, BHP etc?

Mine is the Long Range Trophy

Attachments

• IMG_2047.png
    IMG_2047.png
    751.6 KB · Views: 45
Was he crying because it was so slow?

Only teasing!!😜

Now imagine what the X Power would have done to them. 🤣
Like I posted. Coming from a 1.5 Focus Diesel I really notice the difference in performance in my Long Range Trophy!

I can only imagine what the X Power would feel like.

If anyone offered to take me out in one it would probably be a very good idea to put some protective covering on my seat 😂

Seems a bit odd as the same battery in the Xpower can produce plenty of torque from a standing start. Can you do Launch Control in a Trophy ? ... and see how that compares.

A few months back there was a post from a Spanish guy with a busted reduction gearbox, probably not related but you do have two gearboxes to share the load for fast getaways. I'm with the OP that the acceleration from standing start is not as expected but there is. I guess there is some algorithm which stops you dumping 250nm of torque through the drivetrain straight away, especially when stability control etc is turned on. A Dutch guy turned it off and was smoking the tyres and getting a bit squirmy.

Like I posted. Coming from a 1.5 Focus Diesel I really notice the difference in performance in my Long Range Trophy!

I can only imagine what the X Power would feel like.

If anyone offered to take me out in one it would probably be a very good idea to put some protective covering on my seat 😂

You're too far from me m8, but I would have happily taken you out.
(Providing you were happy to wear an Adult Nappy)

Seems a bit odd as the same battery in the Xpower can produce plenty of torque from a standing start. Can you do Launch Control in a Trophy ? ... and see how that compares.

You're too far from me m8, but I would have happily taken you out.
(Providing you were happy to wear an Adult Nappy)

Cheers buddy 👍🤣

Maybe in the not so distant future I might actually get to feel what an X Power is like.

My brother likes my MG, says it’s comfortable, likes the looks but wants more power ( he’s currently got a 2019 Focus ST which are pretty quick )

I believe next week he’s going to where I got mine to see if he can arrange a test drive.

The only stumbling block is for the next 2 years he & his wife are in a small flat before they get their own house so he will have to use public chargers so he’s got to look into the running costs.

Even though I’m having to use public chargers I’m still saving a few pennies compared to my last Focus Diesel so I can’t imagine it will be much different to an XP?

Launch control in my Trophy only builds up till 58% with or without ESC. When I got the car a few months ago I did some tests and sometimes it seemed like it did a gearbox shift during 0-100km/h tests. Don't know where that came from. Didn't notice it for some time now but it's not been the best weather for the moment.

Use sport mode and turn off your ESC (in the top drop down menu - beside the AC controls), then try again. Beware that it can skid, use at dry asphalt.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 493 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back