12v battery

Had they have done this check on first visit, we would not be having this conversation now !.
When a so called, brand new battery repeatedly looses it charge, there has to be a good reason for it to do so.
Faulty battery or parasitic drain by the car itself.
Just charging it back up and returning it to the customer is a complete waste of every bodies time.
The car was indicating a problem and the random warning lights where the first clue here.
A drop check on the 12 volt battery would have identified the problem.
Charging the battery to full and then leaving it disconnected from the car over night, was enough proof when the SOC dropped to 10 volts, the battery was incapable of retaining a full charge.
I am glad you are now sorted.
It is easy to see and understandable, that you have some concern about this situation.
A really easy way to keep a check on the status of your 12 volt battery, is to install a battery monitor.
It is really easy to install and then you are able to check on the SOH of your 12 volt battery from a App on your phone.
It will even notify you if it thinks the battery voltage is getting low.
This little simple device is a easy fit and will help restore your confidence.
Here is a great video that explains how it works on an EV and how it is installed.
There is a link provided to purchase one for around £21.

Indeed , if it had been at the outset, they would have saved all those man hours and a new sensor ! Looks as if that particular test was done as a bit of an afterthought as the car had been in the workshop on 2 previous occasions . Thanks for the link .

Had they have done this check on first visit, we would not be having this conversation now !.
When a so called, brand new battery repeatedly looses it charge, there has to be a good reason for it to do so.
Just charging it back up and returning it to the customer is a complete waste of every bodies time.
The car was indicating a problem and the random warning lights where the first clue here.
Charging the battery to full and then leaving it disconnected from the car over night, was enough proof when the SOC dropped to 10 volts, the battery was incapable of retaining a full charge.
It is easy to see and understandable, that you have some concern about this situation.
A really easy way to keep a check on the status of your 12 volt battery, is to install a battery monitor.
It is really easy to install and then you are able to check on the SOH of your 12 volt battery from a App on your phone.
Here is a great video that explains how it works on an EV and how it is installed.

I guess you would have to pair your phone to the BM2 on an ongoing basis. My phone is usually paired to my BT headset which I use a lot. So I don't think this would work for me, sadly.

I guess you would have to pair your phone to the BM2 on an ongoing basis. My phone is usually paired to my BT headset which I use a lot. So I don't think this would work for me, sadly.
You would be checking in on the battery condition when your head set was not in use anyway ??.

Owner of MGZS Ev Long range. A month or so after taking delivery the car wouldn’t start. AA called, charged battery got me to dealer. This is visit 1 , charged battery , caused by not being fully charged on delivery . I already had the car booked in as it was showing a “ do not park for more than 3 days “ message. All good.
Still same error coming up .. visit 2 . Battery health good, showing no drainage of battery. A day or so same message plus airbag warning. Visit 3 new sensor fitted, battery heath good , no drainage BUT did I always lock the car with key/ button whenever I switched the car off? Well not a 100% probably. Bingo this is the problem 😳 . 1day later.. battery warning , don’t park, some functions may not be available, air bag warning. Phoned garage really just to have it on record. Bring it in next week. In the meantime , more serious warnings of 12v battery fault, flashing hazard sign Audible ping… pull over when safe !!!
Visit 4 … 2 days… all good , battery a little drained but now charged!!
How can not locking your car 100% cause all of this ?? I’ve absolutely no confidence that the car is now “ warning free “ Cant wait till I go on holiday for 2 weeks, dear knows what the state of play will be then!
I apologise for very long post but I’m beyond frustrated with it all . Anyone gone through similar?
12v Batteries on MG is a major
Owner of MGZS Ev Long range. A month or so after taking delivery the car wouldn’t start. AA called, charged battery got me to dealer. This is visit 1 , charged battery , caused by not being fully charged on delivery . I already had the car booked in as it was showing a “ do not park for more than 3 days “ message. All good.
Still same error coming up .. visit 2 . Battery health good, showing no drainage of battery. A day or so same message plus airbag warning. Visit 3 new sensor fitted, battery heath good , no drainage BUT did I always lock the car with key/ button whenever I switched the car off? Well not a 100% probably. Bingo this is the problem 😳 . 1day later.. battery warning , don’t park, some functions may not be available, air bag warning. Phoned garage really just to have it on record. Bring it in next week. In the meantime , more serious warnings of 12v battery fault, flashing hazard sign Audible ping… pull over when safe !!!
Visit 4 … 2 days… all good , battery a little drained but now charged!!
How can not locking your car 100% cause all of this ?? I’ve absolutely no confidence that the car is now “ warning free “ Cant wait till I go on holiday for 2 weeks, dear knows what the state of play will be then!
I apologise for very long post but I’m beyond frustrated with it all . Anyone gone through similar?
Hi 12 v Battery on anv MG EV is a major problem just search for 12v Battery faults. I have had the AA numerous times with batt flat or fault so please don't feel your the only one. Dealerships are reluctant to replace the battery because they cos them £140 to replace under warranty. I was told wait till it gets to 9.5 v then we might replace it . 😲. After 12 months warranty runs out get a company to replace it, instead of going through this stress.

Thanks so much for sharing this idea @Lovemyev. Following another recent 12V battery failure I installed a 12V battery monitor. Data from the couple of weeks since then has shown a consistent drain on the 12V battery occurs between when the car (Mark 2) is fully charged and when it is unplugged from our EO 7kW AC charger. Sample picture attached. I would say that this is peculiar to this vehicle and this charger, as it has not occurred previously with other EVs and other charging methods (e.g. granny charger). What a pain.

Attachments

• 12V draining-markup.png
    12V draining-markup.png
    122.1 KB · Views: 38
Thanks so much for sharing this idea @Lovemyev. Following another recent 12V battery failure I installed a 12V battery monitor. Data from the couple of weeks since then has shown a consistent drain on the 12V battery occurs between when the car (Mark 2) is fully charged and when it is unplugged from our EO 7kW AC charger. Sample picture attached. I would say that this is peculiar to this vehicle and this charger, as it has not occurred previously with other EVs and other charging methods (e.g. granny charger). What a pain.
Hi
On my Jan 21 ZS which I've had for a few months I received the "Don't Park" message twice recently and using the vehicle recharged the 12v battery OK. Then today, after 3 days parked, complete failure. Battery down to 3.5 v. Restart by AA and all OK till I switched off. A few minutes and needed AA man to restart again.
New, and hopefully, decent battery fitted by local MG dealer who stated they have to replace a few original batteries each month, some under guarantee. He suggested locking the car in the garage will reduce the drain. Any comments on the suggestion?

What's the location of where you lock the car got to do with draining the 12V battery? What a load of tosh.

What's the location of where you lock the car got to do with draining the 12V battery? What a load of tosh.
The locking of the car speeds up the shut down process especially as it switches off all the screens instantly

The locking of the car speeds up the shut down process especially as it switches off all the screens instantly
Yes, but it doesn't matter where the car is when you lock it., which is what the OP has been told by the dealership.

My main causes on 12V battery drain on my previous cars are: head light on, interior light on and seat warmer on.
I did not see any issue when I left my 23 ZS TCLR on my driveway for more than 3 weeks.

My main causes on 12V battery drain on my previous cars are: head light on, interior light on and seat warmer on.
I did not see any issue when I left my 23 ZS TCLR on my driveway for more than 3 weeks.
The EV has an onboard computer/ sensors /wireless still active while parked. That's why you get all that info to your app and also to stop losing all the EV info and memory when parked up each time. On my MG LR it calculated (purchased BM2 monitor) to losing 25% charge in 7-10 days from a brand new Varta AGM battery fully charged at 12.9v . So if your car was parked for three weeks and not fully charged this probably was the cause of a flat battery.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom