18’s vs 17’s ride quality

SiW80

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Anyone been able to compare the ride quality of the change in wheel size for phase 1 vs 2?

Thanks!

Exactly - I had to take the 18’s off my Octy VRS and fit 16’s as it made the kids travel sick.

I have 18 inch wheels the same profile tyres as the original spec. Makes no difference at all either ride or economy. The original wheels and tyres will go back on in the winter.

If you are increasing from a 16” rim to a 18” rim, you need to reduce the profile of the tyre on the 18” rim.
This will retain the same original ratio of the wheel and tyre combo, as the speedo is calibrated and the speed is correctly reported.

If you are increasing from a 16” rim to a 18” rim, you need to reduce the profile of the tyre on the 18” rim.
This will retain the same original ratio of the wheel and tyre combo, as the speedo is calibrated and the speed is correctly reported.
The 17s are 215/50R17 (I think) whilst 18s are 235/45 R18s. this means that the height of the sidewall has reduced by less than .035 inches (.07/2) It means that the overall dia (incl tyre) has increased from 25.46" to 26.32". It should make little difference as they have kept the tyre wall size similar. They just fill the wheel space better. Although different tyres will give different handling and ride characteristics

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 503 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 85 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back