Yandards

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Headed up to Northern Scotland from West Oxford on Friday and planned a night at Sterling prior to pushing up to Elgin area.

Grand total of 550 odd miles with a lot of motorway stuff.

Good overall, car behaved well and was comfortable for the long run, confirmed Stuart from YouTube's range figures of about 200 miles on the motorway with 3 people in the car plus luggage.

The ACC is far better on a motorway then on twisty A roads, despite some hefty power dumps on occasion it was pretty smooth.

Tried the TJA mode for the 1st time, bit of a weird experience running along at 40 mph and not steering! Not sure I'd use it again versus the ACC.

ACC is still a bit aggressive with throttle cuts on some bends.

The trip planner software on the app was mostly useless - having exact departure times isn't really practical. Worked fine for leg 1 but as we used less battery and didn't spend as long charging it wasn't ready to kick out leg 2 when we left.

Ended up around 5 to 10 % better than ABRP predicted on battery SoC per charge.

Car threw the autohold fault up a couple of times during the trip.

Public charging experience was interesting, whilst additional rapid chargers are great little thought goes into layout and location - Gretna services were absolute carnage, the additional chargers have been sighted on the same row as the Tesla superchargers near the entrance. Whilst it was over lunchtime everyone who was charging we chatted to commented on the complete chaos. The Ionity chargers on site are no better with no where to 'queue' which ends up with those charging being blocked in.

Extras for my list of car issues now include Bluetooth tethering being flakey, the trip planner POIs being in Chinese and having a permanent 'new mail' icon that won't clear.

That said it was a fun drive from Carbridge up to Forres - great road that I've not had the pleasure of since we lived up here.

Let me share my first decent long drive experience, I got mg4 trophy.
My round trip of 160miles. I fully charged overnight and then drive in about 80miles and back same including countryside roads plus M25 clockwise driving through Dartford crossing and bit of A1M. I drove in the ECO mode with fan/climate control set to 21°c on auto with my normal driving style means going pretty much speed on speed limits on motor way 70mph speed etc. By the end I had 100miles range left i.e. about 39% with about 3.9/4.1 miles/kWh Not bad, I guess for summer. Now real test would be in winter.

I used ACC throughout. So good, it makes motorway driving so comfortable. No issues with Bluetooth or navigation. Only at times GPS single was lost but I guess that's normal.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel