1st time Achieved 100 +miles in Eco mode ZS EV

Jamlam

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all.
I have owned a ZS EV for about a year now and it's my 4th ev and we have had hybrids of other makes too (don't bother) and for the 1st time of owner ship of my ZS I have achieved over 100 miles on 1 charge. This is inner city driving with a 2 miles 50mph road stretch to work.
I had the battery software update in May'21 and its finally getting better but it's taken nearly a year to get 100+miles on one charge ( no fan/heater/Air con on) so it's not good but I want it to work as I see others are claiming 140-160miles on a charge.
I mainly drive in eco mode with slow acceleration so I am not heavy on the accelerator and I even get 5+miles/ kw
So I know how to drive correctly with other adjustments too.
20210703_030818.jpg

I do like the vehicle and I want it to succeed but it's a bit of work to get me 100+miles. Let's see how it goes.

20210729_211759.jpg

..and how far has your voltage recovered when fully charged. This will provide you with the info needed to see where you are in your recovery progress.

Nice, keep going and it will keep getting better and better. :)

It took 2 months of continual charging everyday To get my car back to anything close to its previous range performance. I only took the battery down small amounts, approx 97% then recharge again, during this period it was erratic in its performance but then one day it just stopped doing all the weird stuff. It charges to 450v (previous was 455v) it’s range is close to WLTP range and the car does a regular weekend trip 100mls each way and it can do that and still have between 60 to 70 mls left in the tank depending on whether we are on the outward leg or the return leg. I generally drive about 65mph but could be more or less as I don’t always use the cruise control. AC is rarely on unless raining, I prefer to have the roof open.

Hi all.
I have owned a ZS EV for about a year now and it's my 4th ev and we have had hybrids of other makes too (don't bother) and for the 1st time of owner ship of my ZS I have achieved over 100 miles on 1 charge. This is inner city driving with a 2 miles 50mph road stretch to work.
I had the battery software update in May'21 and its finally getting better but it's taken nearly a year to get 100+miles on one charge ( no fan/heater/Air con on) so it's not good but I want it to work as I see others are claiming 140-160miles on a charge.
I mainly drive in eco mode with slow acceleration so I am not heavy on the accelerator and I even get 5+miles/ kw
So I know how to drive correctly with other adjustments too.
View attachment 4222
I do like the vehicle and I want it to succeed but it's a bit of work to get me 100+miles. Let's see how it goes.

View attachment 4220
The service manager from my Dealer, F G Barnes in Canterbury, refused to do the BMS upgrade when my car went in for its first service in Feb this year. Had the Comfort 2 upgrade done, paid for and refunded by fitting self supplied Dashcams FOC. Maybe that is why. I regularly get 177 miles showing when fully charged and usually only re-charge when I have done 140 miles or have fewer than 50 miles left.
Does anyone have any experience of an upgrade to speed up the infotainment/telephone/satnav response times?

There is an update on the infotainment system been recently released by MG UK. Contact your dealer they should be able to get it done for you

From what I understand, you had the faulty BMS update, and now you've had it reflashed with the new software, but the car is still not giving full range.

The issue is that depending how badly balanced the battery was when it had the faulty BMS, it will take a long time to recover the battery health fully. The indication of how bad it is can be seen when the car is fully charged. The battery voltage (displayed in the car on the dashboard) should be 449V when fully charged. If it's much lower (like 430V), then it means that the battery will need to have lots of long balancing charges to sort it out. To give you an idea of how long - the BMS is only able to add around 1-2mV of power per cell per hour of balancing. There are 108 cells in the battery, so you can recover about 0.1V of the total battery voltage per hour of balancing. That's 1V per 10hr balance charge. So if your battery was really low, it will take lots of long charges, every day, for maybe a month or so before the range recovers completely.

Does anyone have any experience of an upgrade to speed up the infotainment/telephone/satnav response times?
@Exdro
There is a recent software upgrade to the info unit, but is only available on the ZS EV only for now.
It is covered under the MG service bulletin number :- 0020
It has been written to help prevent the screen from locking up ( Black Screen Of Death ) and some times completely crashing.
I have not had the update applied, so can not comment on it's improvement or not !.
Sorry.

@Exdro
There is a recent software upgrade to the info unit, but is only available on the ZS EV only for now.
It is covered under the MG service bulletin number :- 0020
It has been written to help prevent the screen from locking up ( Black Screen Of Death ) and some times completeIly crashing.
I have not had the update applied, so can not comment on it's improvement or not !.
Sorry.

The service manager from my Dealer, F G Barnes in Canterbury, refused to do the BMS upgrade when my car went in for its first service in Feb this year. Had the Comfort 2 upgrade done, paid for and refunded by fitting self supplied Dashcams FOC. Maybe that is why. I regularly get 177 miles showing when fully charged and usually only re-charge when I have done 140 miles or have fewer than 50 miles left.
The software is now available I beleive and should be implemented when the car is next in the dealers,

That is very promising, thanks for sharing that.
The avg is only 12 mph, hence why in ECO he can do 173 in the warmer months.... If the average was around 25 mph, then you would be probably looking in ECO mode, no more than 140 miles and in winter knock another 20 - 30 miles of this, unless you plan not to use the heater at all....

The avg is only 12 mph, hence why in ECO he can do 173 in the warmer months.... If the average was around 25 mph, then you would be probably looking in ECO mode, no more than 140 miles and in winter knock another 20 - 30 miles of this, unless you plan not to use the heater at all....
I think the promising part is that with 34000 on the clock he has only lost 8 miles from range.

My MG ZS EV after one year, working as uber in London. Recharge every night.
The battery loose 8 miles from the original 163.
But I can manage to do 173 miles in ECO mode, 90% the day with air conditioning on, driving in the city. View attachment 4340View attachment 4341
@Taliano2
This is VERY interesting, you have the highest mileage done of anyone that I've seen.

If you wouldn't mind, a few questions that would provide invaluable to the rest of us owners.

Following a full AC charge (and balance?), what GOM do you get in Normal(3) with both trips reset (start car without brake pedal pressed to ensure no HV battery load going on)?
What voltage do you have showing too at this point?

Do you have access to the OBD2 data via a dongle/app, if so the SOH% would be great to know.

Roughly what percent of your charging is via DC rapid chargers and how much via AC charging?

Thanks so much.

Following a full AC charge (and balance?), what GOM do you get in Normal(3) with both trips reset (start car without brake pedal pressed to ensure no HV battery load going on)?
What voltage do you have showing too at this point?
20210810_103108.jpg

The next photo is for a trip I have done in 90% in motorway, driving with autopilot at 65 mph set.

20210811_113249.jpg

An the next photo is the second part of my trip, started with 85% and added 26 Kwh in 40min in a 120 kw charger.
This part I drove In motorway in autopilot at 70 mph, for 90% the journey.
20210811_203737.jpg

Do you have access to the OBD2 data via a dongle/app, if so the SOH% would be great to know.

Roughly what percent of your charging is via DC rapid chargers and how much via AC charging?

And in respect of the question above, I'm don't have the information necessary. Sorry.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom