• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

1st time public charge.

Oldgrice

Established Member
Reaction score
As we are going away on Friday we wanted to try out the chargers in a service station. And while I know they all differ the services on our route is Telford and electricity so the services at Peterborough just off the A1 are the same.
So we run the car until the low battery warning came on and went. We parked and the first pump ! Wasn't working onto the other, the app was good easy to use put pump ID in and it came up as Rapid charge so plugged it in all good.
We had food, about 47 mins latter the app said car was fully charged but was only 5.7kw and I knew it couldn't be fully charged.?
So as we don't live far we just went home I rang electricity and asked why I didn't get a full charge, they asked what car I had I told her and the reply was that I need to use ccs for rapid charge and that the pump wasn't ccs and you finish the charge after 45mins any way so thats why it said fully charged.
From what I think she said this was/is a rapid charge for other older type of EV's
But I was told the chargers at Telford are ccs so that will be OK.?

That sounds like you used the AC cable that are only really good for Renualt Zoe’s that can take 22kW and 43kW on AC. Most other models peak at 7 or 11 on AC.

MG can take up to 80 Kw charging rate but only on CCS connection type cable/ charger. This is a DC current supply. that goes directly into the battery and the charging unit acts as the battery charger.

On the lesser connection type cable/charger type 2 the electricity goes into the battery via an onboard charger unit that’s located under the bonnet. This is an AC electrical supply and the MG can only charge at a rate of 7.2 Kw no matter how much the charging unit can supply.
Some older EVs do not have ccs DC charging capability, However, they can charge at a much higher rate using AC type 2 connectors.
Out on the open road the MG can only realistically fast/rapid charge using the CCS DC chargers.
Hope this helps.

That sounds like you used the AC cable that are only really good for Renualt Zoe’s that can take 22kW and 43kW on AC. Most other models peak at 7 or 11 on AC.
Yes that would appear to be the case but being new to using them and the app said rapid, but I know now?

MG can take up to 80 Kw charging rate but only on CCS connection type cable/ charger. This is a DC current supply. that goes directly into the battery and the charging unit acts as the battery charger.

On the lesser connection type cable/charger type 2 the electricity goes into the battery via an onboard charger unit that’s located under the bonnet. This is an AC electrical supply and the MG can only charge at a rate of 7.2 Kw no matter how much the charging unit can supply.
Some older EVs do not have ccs DC charging capability, However, they can charge at a much higher rate using AC type 2 connectors.
Out on the open road the MG can only realistically fast/rapid charge using the CCS DC chargers.
Hope this helps.
Yes thats right I won't make that error again but wasn't an issue as I was close to home and did what I needed to know. I will look out for that infuture.

Used my first rapid today, Polar/chargemaster using contactless debit card. started at 43% battery (70 miles), went for some fish and chips and a coffee and finished at 89% (144 miles), 37 minutes later, £5.70 for the charge at 30p/kWh.
I was wondering if the CCS plug locks in when charging, I didn't want to try to pull it out in case I damaged something, I couldn't tell if the plug lock clicked or not when I locked the car.

Last edited:
@Kithmo yes they lock in too. I’m going to rapid charge later so will confirm and update if needed.

interesting side note is that I don’t have to lock my doors to initiate a slow or rapid charge. When I click start, charging port locks only. Which is nice.

@lee graham Thanks, reason I asked is I was wondering if somebody could unplug it while you were away.
Mine wont start charging on my home charger or other fast chargers without locking, the rapid did.
I don't think many people use that rapid charger at the Co-op in Alford, the CCS plug was covered in cobwebs. :sneaky:

Hi kithmo, no once you’ve started your charge they cannot undo your cable, However some little toe rag could push the emergency stop button on the actual charging unit...so be careful Nd they why an app would be perfect as you can see it charging from wherever you are...

Hi kithmo, no once you’ve started your charge they cannot undo your cable, However some little toe rag could push the emergency stop button on the actual charging unit...so be careful Nd they why an app would be perfect as you can see it charging from wherever you are...
FYI, If you are charging with ecotricity chargers and you have used their app to start the charge then you can monitor the charging of the car from their app.

Regards

Frank

@Kithmo yes they lock in too. I’m going to rapid charge later so will confirm and update if needed.

interesting side note is that I don’t have to lock my doors to initiate a slow or rapid charge. When I click start, charging port locks only. Which is nice.
Wasn't this part of one of the updates.

Hi Folks,
Just a question on this issue of locking doors. I think the C2U allows the doors to remain unlocked for both fast chargers and rapid charger provided the initiation of charge is done on the charger. There are however some free chargers (fast charger only) where it seems initiation of charge can only be from the car so in the case of the ZS EV it means locking the car. What I am unsure of is whether the charging will continue if the car is then unlocked. Before the C2U unlocking the car will cause charging to also stop.

I believe it was the August hvb fuse update that changed the slow charge door lock behaviour.

Got mine in July, but I think I can wait till the first service next year as I normally lock the car anyway when I put it on charge. Fingers crossed the HV fuse doesn't burn out (if mine's affected). ;)

I found out it’s only if you have to fast charge when out and about with the family that the charge on lock becomes an issue, this is how it played out: getting them out of the car, making sure you’ve not forgotten anything? Great let’s start the charge, charge starts, nope my sons left some Lego in car, open door charge stops, you get charged the minimum charge fee £1 on the CPS charger I was using last Saturday, and drew 0kWh before having to start a new charge session

Got my car today :)
Had a nice drive, and did a 15 minute fast charge aswell, as we needed a little topup to get us home.
15 minutes gave us about 90 km extra range, definently livable:cool:
That's got to be a rapid charger not a "fast"

Yeah, rapid would be correct there, you're right. Give me a few more weeks, and I'm sure I'll get the terminology right too 😁

Me and the wife used a rapid charger yesterday we stopped at Telford services, to top the car up.

We are on holiday in Wales Bala so we will see what its like while we are here. We arrived after our stop with about 96 miles of range left and we had some hills and twisty roads along the way.

We had left Yarwell with a full charge planed to stop for a recharge all went well, and theses pumps had the ccs cable. 🥳

The electrocity ones there was two of them one was being used had a Jaguar on it there was 8 Teslar points 3 in use.

I found the car was great and we enjoyed the trip about 168 miles.😁😁😁

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom