2.0 miles/kWh, normal in this cold weather? (UK)

bobtherock

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Edit: thanks all for the replies. Calms the anxiety on the car being a lemon.

So picked up my mg4 (‘23 plate) on Thursday. I only seem to get 2.0 mi/kWh for most journeys. Sometimes after 10 mins it starts to climb but only to 2.6.

Is this typical with aircon at 21°C with neg temperatures outside?
If its not, does anyone know with certainty whether 1 tyre being significantly Newer could upset power distribution? I only suggest this as my previous outlander required the same tyre and similar tread on all 4 corners.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It's very typical, there's a few closet hyper milers that get much higher and claim they drive it hard on normal but after driving quite conservatively a few times and struggling to break 3mi/kWh. I can only conclude some results must be skewed by extreme Sunday driving and shall we say favourable altitude dropping journeys 🫣

I got 3 miles/kWh on a long motorway journey last weekend. I'm not surprised at 2 miles/kWh, especially if the A/C has to get the car from 0 to 21°C at the start. 2.6 miles/kWh seems reasonable.

2.0 miles per kWh is the starting reading I see when i go past 0.5 miles of the journey. I guess it doesn’t go any lower than that on the display. It doesn’t drop to 1.9, 1.8 .. etc. I’m not sure why. Does that mean we are guaranteed to get 2 mi/kWh regardless of how we drive?
I do less than 3 miles round trip school run or local supermarket with heating on at 22°C. So 2 mi/kWh is a common reading I’m used to seeing most of the time unless i drive for little longer where it starts to slowly creep up up to 3 mi/kWh. On longer weekend trips i get 3.6mi/kWh on eco driving under sub zero degrees.

I have seen it up to 4 briefly, being very careful in eco mode with no heating / aircon etc on but it's been pretty much 2mi/kWh in this cold weather.

Been below zero here for 24 hours car not moved since Wednesday, just done a round trip of 16 miles and averaged 2.9 mi/kWh, mix of country lanes and dual carriageway, A/C on most of the time.

So picked up my mg4 (‘23 plate) on Thursday. I only seem to get 2.0 mls/kwh for most journeys. Sometimes after 10 mins it starts to climb but only to 2.6.

Is this typical with aircon at 21C with neg temperatures outside?
If its not, does anyone know with certainty whether 1 tyre being significantly Newer could upset power distribution? I only suggest this as my previous outlander required the same tyre and similar tread on all 4 corners.
Thanks
I would say that above 3miles/kWh would be more normal in this very cold weather.
I have just checked mine over the last 100 miles of local road driving and it was 3.4mi/kWh. This was in Normal mode.

I'm struggling with my mg5 standard range ATM I've only been getting 1.6 booked in to dealer to take a look , only managed to get 89 miles out of a full charge

Managed to get it to 1.9 in the end because I did a 27 mile journey only just made it to a charger last night.
IMG20231208200825.jpg

So picked up my mg4 (‘23 plate) on Thursday. I only seem to get 2.0 mls/kwh for most journeys. Sometimes after 10 mins it starts to climb but only to 2.6.

Is this typical with aircon at 21C with neg temperatures outside?
Thanks
Monday, Norwich to Cannock, I hate the M6, Tuesday Cannock to Dumfries and back to Cannock, I hate the M6 even more than I did yesterday. Wednesday Cannock back to Norwich. I hate the M6 with a passion you could photograph. Temps were between -3 and 11°C over the three days, driven in ‘Normal’ mode, reasonably intelligent right foot and over the whole trip I managed 2.2 miles per kWh if that helps at all. Did I mention I hate the M6? Couldn’t wait to get back to sleepy old Norfolk. 😜

I'm getting around 3.2-3.5. With outside temps around 3-6 degrees.
23(ish) mile journey (daily) on a mixture of 75% dual carriageway/motorway at around 55-60mph with the rest around city centre so 20-30mph.
A/C on @24 degrees fan speed 2 - 4
Eco with max regen
Journey starts in the high 2 mi/kWh, but by the end of the trips its climbed up to 3.2-3.5

One day last week, this dropped on one trip to 2.9 as I got stuck in major traffic jams so the normal 50 minute trip took 90mins, average speed for the trip was 14 mph.

I picked up my MG4 Trophy in March.
I do the school run in the MG4 - 5.5 miles round trip.
I almost always set the car to eco mode + heavy regen before setting off (it is muscle memory now) and disable the Latent Kamikaze Assault. When I occasionally use my wife's RAV4 PHEV I now feel like I haven't "completely" started the car and there is something else to do...

Over the warm months I get an average of 3.2-3.5mi/kWh with AC on all the time and 21°C temp.

On a frosty day:
I warm the car up for 10 minutes before setting off in the morning. I do the school run and I get back home with 2mi/kWh (the indicator doesn't flinch - suggesting I actually get less than 2).
I do the afternoon school pick up (I have to drop by 2 schools and need to wait for 30 minutes for the elder daughter - with heating &AC on). Sometimes I see the indicator moving to 2.1mi/kWh.

So - for a cold day and a short trip 2m/kWh is what I get (let me know if you manage to convince MG to do something about it)...

Today
I did the ballet run (similar to the school run) and since it is rather warm here in Salisbury (12°C) I got 3.1mi/kWh.

My record low was 1.4 for a trip to the local shops. it included standing on the drive for the best part of 10 minutes with the heater & fan on full blast and the rear screen on while I scraped the ice off. It went up to about 1.8 by the time I drove back home again. (MG5 LR)

Do you think it was intentional mg decided to not show economy figures below 2mi/kWh as they were aware/scared how low the winter economy figures might be in all models, but maybe more so the LFP versions. It's just strange that older mg platforms show the economy figures below 2.

Do you think it was intentional mg decided to not show economy figures below 2m/pKw as they were aware/scared how low the winter economy figures might be in all models, but maybe more so the lfp versions. It's just strange that older mg platforms show the economy figures below 2
It would not surprise me one little bit. Allegedly, they don’t even tell the dealerships everything.

Only had my Xpower since Tuesday and done about 40 miles all in normal mode with A/C in auto between 22 and 24. Getting 3 miles/kWh without doing anything special so expect this would be higher if I was trying

I have seen it up to 4 briefly, being very careful in eco mode with no heating / aircon etc on but it's been pretty much 2m/kwh in this cold weather.
Driving for around an hour, mostly on A roads, heating on eco/ auto / 26°C. Car set on eco or normal and lights / wipers on.
Starts off around 2.0mi/kWh. Starts to creep up over the journey to around 3.0 - 3.2.
Did get an hour with no heating on, no lights and got 4.2.
My average for 2k miles in last 2 months is 3.1

My average this month is 1.97 mi/kWh over 300 miles.
Daily use is typically defrost using remote 10 minute cabin heat, drive 1.5 miles to check on my ageing father, stay with him for an hour then 1.5 miles home.
I don't like winter, neither does the LFP battery. Longer trip (20 miles) will show around 3 mi/kWh.

Jef. MG4 SE SR

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums