2.0 miles/kWh, normal in this cold weather? (UK)

Well, I think you just gave us a preamble of a journey which included a 10 minute charge. I wasn’t sure what your view was. Apologies if I missed it.
I guess my concern is that when I bought my mg4 trophy I didn’t expect just 180 mile range with the heater on in the winter. Which means I have to charge on route a lot more than I ever wanted to. Ergo it’s a lemon

Hi, just driven from Helensburgh to Manchester. Topped up at Gretna services (and at Rivington as a trial). Drove at about 60+ on ACC and manual. Managed 3.3 using AC at 22 most of the way. Impressed with both services.

I’m sorry, but who drives for 240 miles at 60mph and stops for two charges? What’s the point? Somebody ban me from this site…

I guess my concern is that when I bought my mg4 trophy I didn’t expect just 180 mile range with the heater on in the winter. Which means I have to charge on route a lot more than I ever wanted to. Ergo it’s a lemon
You may wish to change your Driving: selection in your profile else people trying to help in future may get confused. 👍

The heater seems to be getting better the more I use it, earlier on in the year a setting of 23°C seemed to blow only cold air out and I had to increase it above 25°C to get any warm air at all, now it's blowing warm at 23°C and hot at 24°C.
When I posted this the ambient air temperature was 3 deg C.
The heater efficiency seems to be connected to ambient air temperature.
Currently it's 10C outside and the heater is blowing cold at 23C now, tepid at 24C and warm at 25C.
:unsure:

Don't be cold for the sake of a few extra miles. I schedule battery heating to warm up an hour before I go out.

I’ve been getting 2.0 miles per kWh in my trophy LR this winter and most of my journeys are under 5 miles and in standard mode. If I go further it goes up to 2.6. I suppose if you pre heat the car it is a bigger burden on short journeys and the heating is naturally a bigger burden (as a %) in town than on longer journeys. So I’m not surprised but I am relieved to see others getting similar.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that if I can work it so my home charging session finishes just before a journey then the battery is already slightly warmed and my efficiency for that journey is north of 3 mi/kWh.

I’ve been getting 2.0 miles per kw in my trophy LR this winter and most of my journeys are under 5 miles and in standard mode. If I go further it goes up to 2.6. I suppose if you pre heat the car it is a bigger burden on short journeys and the heating is naturally a bigger burden (as a %) in town than on longer journeys. So I’m not surprised but I am relieved to see others getting similar.
If you plan your preheating right you might get similar consumption but more comfort:
If say your journey is virtually traffic free, 5 miles will take you what, 15 minutes on rural roads? By not preheating you are spending 5-10 minutes in the cold while waiting for the heater to do its thing and if you don’t blast it, 15 minutes might not be enough for the cabin to reach a good temperature before you shut it down.
I find the MG4 has quite a well insulated cabin and the battery pack under the floor , when heated up, adds to the heat retention in the cabin.
If you really want to save I would suggest put the a/c on Eco mode, and put the target temperature much lower (say 19 or 20 on the gauge, which translates into a real world 16 to 17°C) and just wear an extra layer or even better put the heated seats on. The heated wheel is unnecessary if you wear gloves (Decathlon sells these running/football gloves with extra grippy palms and touch sensitive finger tips so you can use touch screens and hold the steering wheel safely).

I've found that if I can work it so my home charging session finishes just before a journey then the battery is already slightly warmed and my efficiency for that journey is north of 3mpkw
Unfortunately on LFP batteries charged by a granny charger, the battery temperature is pretty much still ambient.

Using battery preheating and A/C, having intelligent battery heating on and driving only short commutes it would be a miracle not to have accumulated total and since last charge 2.0mls/kWh (29.8kWh/100km in metric settings) in below freezing conditions.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back