2022 MG5

My expectation would be earliest Sept. And with the current lead times, a handful of the first batch, mainly demonstrators, floating about and customer orders not being fulfilled until March 2023.

Also some may not like the new infotainment and control layout.

I found the MG5 easier to control than the ZS whilst driving for hvac settings etc
Interestingly that has been mentioned a few times in reviews as a plus point, real buttons and knobs to control basic settings rather than software"touch points", possibly buried in menus somewhere.

My expectation would be earliest Sept. And with the current lead times, a handful of the first batch, mainly demonstrators, floating about and customer orders not being fulfilled until March 2023.
Yeah this was sort of where I landed too. Torn now as to whether to look out for a twelve month deal on current model or to wait!

really like the look of the new 5 , old one is terribly bland looking in my opinion
I'm inclined to half agree... The new one does look more modern, but they're both already quite dated in relation to other modern ev's. The mk1 definitely looks like a Passat estate and the mk2 has echoes of the old Mondeo and Astra estates. Look at things like the E-Niro, iPace and Ioniq5 in relation!
As good as the ev tech is from MG, the striking department is very archetypal Chinese in that they "borrow"design cues from the past successful marques.

I'm inclined to half agree... The new one does look more modern, but they're both already quite dated in relation to other modern ev's. The mk1 definitely looks like a Passat estate and the mk2 has echoes of the old Mondeo and Astra estates. Look at things like the E-Niro, iPace and Ioniq5 in relation!
As good as the ev tech is from MG, the striking department is very archetypal Chinese in that they "borrow"design cues from the past successful marques.
MG is not comparable to those cars but it's a terrific effort for the money and nothing about it is disagreeable or offensive to me

MG is not comparable to those cars but it's a terrific effort for the money and nothing about it is disagreeable or offensive to me
No absolutely agree, but they're not what could be described as progressive or innovative either. Their very familiar and one could almost describe them as anonymous, visually. I'm ok with that!

Looks great apart from that charge point flap that's so ugly it ruins the front and not sure I could live with it.

I recently had breif use of the new ZS as a loan car while the MG5 was being inspected.

The 360 cameras and the whole display console, as well as an external charge indicator on the plug socket are minor but very much needed improvements. As much as I like the new look, these little improvements make the real difference

I recently had breif use of the new ZS as a loan car while the MG5 was being inspected.

The 360 cameras and the whole display console, as well as an external charge indicator on the plug socket are minor but very much needed improvements. As much as I like the new look, these little improvements make the real difference
yeah , external camera is a bit grainy

Prices have now been released here in France and the vehicle is available to order. Our dealer's get the first one in April, so I doubt customer deliveries will be any time soon.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 10.11.08.png

Sorry it's all in French, but I'm sure you can work it out and get the gist.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 10.12.50.png

Any colour paint other than white is an additional €650 and the grey vegan leather is a €1000 option. Each of the prices above exclude the €6k French government EV grant and up to €5k if you scrap certain older petrol cars. So from list price alone (assuming no dealer incentives), it would be possible to get a LR Luxury model from as little as €25,990 (£21,840), which seems an absolute bargain to me.

Interesting, thanks.

Do you know how does that price compares to the existing model in France? I'm guessing about the same?

Just saw vehicle-to-load feature, very interesting! I currently have MG5 LR and I'm not bothered about any extras that face lift version offers, apart from vehicle-to-load. I wonder if this can be retro-fitted somehow?

Attachments

• new MG.PNG
    new MG.PNG
    998.3 KB · Views: 110
Just saw vehicle-to-load feature, very interesting! I currently have MG5 LR and I'm not bothered about any extras that face lift version offers, apart from vehicle-to-load. I wonder if this can be retro-fitted somehow?
Unlikely as it requires specific hardware and updated protocols.

While the output is less than that achieved by V2L, it's likely that a solar generator will meet most people's needs and be significantly cheaper than adding new hardware to your car (and has the benefit of being portable from vehicle to vehicle).

We have the bigger (606Wh) version of this (couldn't find the exact one in a quick search) and it is fab, charges quickly from the mains, OK from solar (free) and from the car's battery and we use it to recharge electric scooters and bikes when out and about - it's never not met our needs.

Screenshot 2022-02-18 at 12.30.52.png

Last edited:
That's a shame. I suppose you could do you own 'vehicle-to-load feature' using 12v battery and an inverter. I'm planning to check (at some point) the maximum current the onboard charger puts into the 12v battery.
See above, I edited it after I posted with a kinda option for that ;-)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom