2022 MGZS, freezing, drafty cabin

rich

Standard Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the cold drafts when driving. They don't just come from drivers side but passenger also. There is a thread about using non flammable insulation, but that has made little difference when I did it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you using Eco mode ?.
This reduces the efficiency of the cabin heater, in an attempt to preserve the range.
Use the default range of normal and crank up the heat to about 23 degrees and you should be toasty !.

Thanks for the replies. I don't use eco mode, and didn't have the issue in mk 1. I have heating turned up, but still get a lot of cold air around footwell from both sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the same. Draft comes from under seat onto the backs of your legs. Even when the heater is on HIGH

Forgot to add. Trophy long range connect

I think a contributing factor is because it’s an EV and not an ICE 🤣.
With a ICE model there is a lot of residue heat being absorbed by the medal bodyshell, this is supplied by heat from the exhaust system and the ICE unit itself.
The lower floor pan in a EV has no help in this regard and therefore it takes a lot longer to warm up to lower section of the car, as heat rises of course.
The electric heater in a EV has to work really hard and it acts a little like an electric heater in the home.
As soon as you turn off the heat source, the heat loss can be felt instantly.
Today we made a short trip of about 30 minutes in the car.
We had the heater on constantly.
When we stopped, I opened the sliding panel where the cup holders are located.
When I put my hand inside of the cup holder, it was absolutely freezing 🥶!.
Getting the whole cabin warm takes a long time and of course demands a lot of power in the process.
If you use the recirc button, it will heat up the cabin faster, because you are not heating the cold air pulled in from outside.
However, you will have to closely monitor the misting up of the glass.
As soon as it starts, release the recirc button.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom