• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

22 kW in-car charger upgrade?

Hey

I have the MG5 Facelift. I can confirm it comes with a 11 KW (max) AC charger but you will need a 3 phase cable to get this speed.

I know this as I had a single phase cable which capped out at 7. Now I have a 3 phase and get ~11KW

Regards

Thanks - and presumably you can use a 3 phase cable with single phase 7kw charging sources too?

Hi All

First EV (not delivered yet!) - first post!

I'm pleased I saw this thread as I was floundering around the internet trying to find the information above.

I have a new MG 5 Long Range on order, and looking at Type 2 cables. I'm thinking of getting a 3 Phase 22kw version, mainly for the odd time I might be travelling and need to use a 22kw or 11kw charger (we are planning a trip to Northern France in the summer).

I take it from szymon's post above a three phase cable would also work with one phase power (7kw) from a wall box at home (also not ordered, and might get a tethered option...but useful to know).

Am I missing anything?! Thanks in advance!
Correct — a 3 phase 32A (22kW) cable will work for 7kW (single phase 32A) on a normal wall box T home. Be careful not to buy an 11kW cable though — they do exist and I had one from Amazon which I returned! The 11kW cable will do 3 phase 16A (11kW) but when connected to a 7kW charger it will only do 1 phase 16A or 3.5kW!

To use a 3 phase cable on a single phase 7Kw EVSE you will need a 22kW 32A cable, this maybe quite big and heavy.
They aren’t that big and heavy ;-) it’s only two extra 32A cables inside for L2 and L3, so a little thicker and heavier than the 7kW cable.

Thanks for the replies all. I'm pleased I checked, I was initially tempted by the Type 2 cable the dealer was trying to flog me, which I think is just singe phase and nearly £250!

Hey

I have the MG5 Facelift. I can confirm it comes with a 11 KW (max) AC charger but you will need a 3 phase cable to get this speed.

I know this as I had a single phase cable which capped out at 7. Now I have a 3 phase and get ~11KW

Regards
Brilliant! I started this tread because MG were showing a 7kW charger for the upgrade model.
I bought the MG5 in April 2022 with a plan to exchange it later for the upgrade model.
It's great news MG have stayed with the 11kW charger.

I brought in 3-phase last summer and a 22kW Zappi. The existing single phase CU (the whole house) is fed from the new 3-phase CU. I kept the previous 7kW charger (in case 2 EVs or if the Zappi fails). I confirm the 22kW Zappi will work (at 7.2kW/hour) with the 2022 MG5. There was a bit of kerfuffle coordinating disconnection of the single phase and removal of single phase smart meter with the new 3-phase connection/smart meter (needs all to be choreographed in one day).

I paid £1500 to bring in 3-phase (after a bit of haggling). I did the trenching and conduit myself.
22kW Zappi and new 3-phase CU with feed to existing CU cost another £1600.

Half the reason to bring in 3 phase was to facilitate DNO approval of a PV extension (DNO export limit can increase x 3). Its also a piece of infrastructure that future-proofs the property for 2 EVs and higher power charging/importing.

But as before you have to get a 22kW 3 phase lead for it to give 7kW on single phase. The best source remains Tesla via their App.

But as before you have to get a 22kW 3 phase lead for it to give 7kW on single phase. The best source remains Tesla via their App.
That option on the Tesla app hasn't been there for ages now (months), well at least not on mine. Is it still showing on your app ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom