25/01/21: Just had latest BMS software. Observations...

As an aside, those who have had the new BMS update and have been rebalancing their cars multiple times, have you seen the voltage increase? If so, how many charges did it take for you to notice it? I’ve done 2 charges and the voltage in my car has stayed the same
I've done 4x >24 hr charges on a granny charger, 10x overnight charges on granny charger (not sure if all finished equalisation), 6x charges approx 7 hrs each on podpoint 22kW charger (I know limited to 6.6kW). I didn't initially know about the voltage display, but on 21 Jan I got 429V and today am getting 434V. I've done 2x 24hr, 5 overnight and 3x podpoint since 21 Jan.

Today I connected to podpoint for 7 hrs 13 min. I took on 12.3kWh which replenished my usage of the 26 miles drive to work (from fully charged and equalised overnight). MG badge LEDs were constantly on when I collected car.

It doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere. Every day I get told to connect the slow charger, which isn't something others are reporting, so possibly I have another issue?

Bit of an update, my Off - Peak rate has just started at 9.00pm.
So, I though I would just go and plug the car in again.
Guess what - It is now charging at the full 7.0 kw !!!!.
The car is now reporting that it will be 100% fully charged from 71% and 104 miles in 1 hour and 47 mins.
Which feels about right to me.
This SHOULD give me a fully charged range of about 150 miles (ish).
Let's just see.
So, how strange is this ?.
This afternoon it the car was only pulling 3.6 kw when plugged in - now it is pulling 7.0kw.
It's not just my house energy monitor displaying this discrepancy, the display in the car is reporting the same discrepancy.
I have no answers to explain this at all.
Please tell me who is offering off-peak from 9pm. Thanks

I had the BMS update done today. It was reporting 443V before I drove down to the dealer.
I drove at motorway speed limit each way then had a 20 mile trip across town. I have driven a total of 86 miles today and arrived home with 16%.
Lets see what volt and miles (HVAC - off) do you get after first full charge and equalisation?

I had the BMS update done today. It was reporting 443V before I drove down to the dealer.
I drove at motorway speed limit each way then had a 20 mile trip across town. I have driven a total of 86 miles today and arrived home with 16%.
Hi @Mike - I did enjoy the pod cast tonight.
Interesting to here Miles say that the 450 volts that owners are seeing after the BMS update, now feels about right now some how ???.
He also said that 450 volts could be improved on, but an increase should be expected in a "Best Case" situation, when the everything is switched off and in the warmer weather conditions.
Also that the higher figure of 455 volts had been typically seen on cars having the update applied with the newer batteries.
That if I understood him correctly of course ?.
Strange then that some cars of a similar age and mileage are still seeing 455 volts, IF they are running on the original BMS software ( not the "Buggy" software of course ).
Are we chasing the dream do you think, or is 450 volts becoming the new acceptable target now ?.
Nobody has reported getting anymore than 450 volts as I am aware yet.
It could be said that the main aim here was to get the lost range recovered as a top priority.
Had a short 40 mile trip in my car yesterday and the energy consumption was not excessive.
We covered 40 actual miles and used 40 miles of range from the GOM - 3.4 miles / kwh and the heating on for the whole trip.
I will be very interested to here what you are receiving over the next few weeks Mike.
At your present 443 volts, it will be interesting to see how your car reacts to the update you had installed today.
Other owners including myself are witnessing long balancing times.
Please keep us informed.

As an aside, those who have had the new BMS update and have been rebalancing their cars multiple times, have you seen the voltage increase? If so, how many charges did it take for you to notice it? I’ve done 2 charges and the voltage in my car has stayed the same
The same happened to me in Costa Rica. I see the Car is almost charging the total capacity charge (they did not do it before the upgrade, before was charging 80% total capacity)) but the voltage remains the same (441v).

Can someone please explain how the voltage is related to how big the battery is?
A Porsche Taycan is using a 800volt structure. And Hyundai/Kia is going to use it also in future cars. But I guess they all have different battery sizes.

I’m no expert but from my school days! Volts x Amps = Watts So by transposing this if you know 2 of the 3 you can work out the other... so 45kw/hr battery with 450volts = 100amps. But I wouldn’t let me wire your house! 🤪🤪🤪

Back home now. What a difference a few degrees makes.... it’s 10°C down in Surrey today. Drove 41 miles. 102 left in GOM, but more importantly, approx 72% left. Mixture of motorway speeds, A roads and unclassified roads. Time to put back on charge and see if it’s ready for the morning. It has 18 hours to charge & balance before I need the car again. Tomorrow is a busier day and will be travelling further.

This morning the car was at 445V. The imbalance was 112mV, which I had to interrupt. I had started charging at 6pm and at 9am it still had not finished. It was at 16% when I started. I won’t be doing as much mileage today.
Hi @Mike .
I am a little surprised to see that before the BMS update, your voltage was around 433 volts and now after only one single charge you are now at 445 volts !.
Other owners are are struggling to get there voltage above 449 volts.
So, clearly there is inconsistencies here with no clear explanation why ???.
Given the usage and mileage on your car Mike, then the theory that 450 volts should be seen as the NEW norm.

Last edited:
I found out today that having the heating turned on or off can make as much as 20% difference to the predicted range - instantly. Will it also impact the voltage? Is everyone comparing their cars voltage in exactly the same state? E.g. everything switch off.

I found out today that having the heating turned on or off can make as much as 20% difference to the predicted range - instantly. Will it also impact the voltage? Is everyone comparing their cars voltage in exactly the same state? E.g. everything switch off.
I'm getting 450v with HVAC off, after full charge and balance.

After a full charge and equalisation yesterday regardless of HVAC on or off the voltage stayed steady at 455 volts. The GOM went down for each mode with HVAC on.

So, just plugged in and I had 88% on the battery. Going to balance charge tonight and see whether my voltage increases higher than the 444v that I had on my last two charges
Pic below of the mileage and voltage when I plugged in.
FA0CF3C7-70B2-490E-8288-0F4E56144753.jpeg

You should always be making the checks with everything turned off ideally, and the battery fully charged and balanced of course.
Reporting a low SOC on boot up, with the heater on MAX is likely to be the cause.

Last edited:
Is it after the latest Jan update? I am only 449 after full charge and equalisation
That is what the majority of people are seeing now after receiving the latest BMS update.
I am now on my third full charge / balance and I have received 450 / 449 / 449 volts.
Nobody has become close to the magical unicorn figure of 455 volts yet.
Are we chasing the mythical figure here I wonder ???.
Time will tell I get !.

That is what the majority of people are seeing now after receiving the latest BMS update.
I am now on my third full charge / balance and I have received 450 / 449 / 449 volts.
Nobody has become close to the magical unicorn figure of 455 volts yet.
Are we chasing the mythical figure here I wonder ???.
Time will tell I get !.
I only get 454 volts albeit I’m over 14000 miles in and so could have lost a little battery capacity.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom