MG5 LR 2021 - Rapid Charging - latest software still unreliable - Car communicates SOC then disconnects .

Dundronin

Standard Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I picked up my car from the dealership on the 1st Dec after they had it for three days while they investigated the problem first identified to MG in August and documented in threads/rapid-charger-connects-but-fails-to-charge post-248066 . The software was checked and updated as necessary - as of the 1st Dec, as it was on the vehicles previous service in July 23. No hardware deficiencies were identified.

Service Report

K VHC
INVESTIGATE RAPID CHARGE FAULT
CARRIED OUT EVCC,BMS AND BCM
CARRIED OUT CELL BALANCE CHARGE AND SETTLE
CUSTOMER TO TRY

It is regrettable that it takes MG from August to Dec to do a software update where other EV suppliers can update the vehicle at home everyday as necessary.

In order to check what progress MG have made, I took the MG5 to the local Instavolt rapid charger at McDonalds Street. The latest software still has not fixed the failure to charge if the car is unlocked (see pictures below). Having communicated the State Of Charge (SOC) from the vehicle the Rapid charger reports 'Stopping' then 'Session Ended' then 'Charge Completed' with 'Stop Code:100b' without adding any power or range. Fortunately the MG5 did proceed to charge when the vehicle was locked following Instavolt’s special guidance for MG5s (See Below). The problem is not unique to Instavolt and I have experienced occasions when I have been unable to get a fast charge after trying a series of forecourts which has led me to avoid long journeys in the MG5 until this issue is resolved.

Instavolt offer the following advice -

“With regard to the issue you experienced, from our back-office system the charger appears to be working, as there have been numerous successful charges since your visit. Having further investigated the error code reported on our back-office system at the time of your visit, it would suggest a communication error between the car and the charging point, but we will continue to monitor the site closely. We are aware of instances with MG vehicles and our BYD model of chargers where the charging session begins but the vehicle ends the session before electricity can be dispensed. In these instances, the below steps are often successful in facilitating communication between the vehicle and charger:

-Make sure the vehicle is turned off

-Lock the vehicle

-Authorise the charging session (whether with the App, a credit/debit card, or an RFID card)

-Unlock the vehicle

-Plug in the charging cable immediately after unlocking the vehicle

We apologise again for the inconvenience and if you have any further concerns, or if the issue reoccurs, please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Kind Regards,
Sammy
Customer Service Team"

MG continue to offer no help or guidance to customers experiencing difficulties with Rapid Charging or even acknowledge what is known to be a widespread problem. Some clarification regarding the need for locking/unlocking at least would be helpful.

Attachments

• PXL_20231214_145019438.jpg
    PXL_20231214_145019438.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 58
  • PXL_20231214_145057178.jpg
    PXL_20231214_145057178.jpg
    431.6 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20231214_145104853.jpg
    PXL_20231214_145104853.jpg
    584.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice on this. I always have to do this on instavolt but now seem to be having more and more issues on gridserve too (which used to work fine!).

Sorry to hear about your troubles but I gather all works fine when you just lock the car? This is actually mentioned in the online user manual therefore why make life diffIcult for yourself?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom