MG ZS EV Long Range - Rapid Charging Test - 76kW Peak?

I'm using the Vgate Icar pro adapter: Amazon linkl
I'm using the "Thai" android app, link found on this forum.
I've just looked at my eZS version and it is 3.1.4
I'm wondering if the developer knows Tesla Bjorn!
Tesla Bjorn uses Car Scanner, but I can't get that to show meaningful information, at least nothing like the screen I see he has when it is on the MG ZS EV he had recently.
I'm sure it is just how it is set up but it has got me lost!
I'm a natural iPhone user and Car Scanner is iOS compatible, maybe only to a point!
Has anybody else on this forum tried it on the iPhone?

Using my 'spare' Lenovo Motorola Android phone, I find eZS is very straightforward to use, if a little inaccurate!
I can't see a viable Battery Current on my car similar to the one your screenshot shows, strange.

Thanks for sharing Miles, valuable stuff!

Now we just need MG Australia to import the long range model. Over here the Atto 3 LR is killing the ZSEV in sales as most people want LR.

Last night, myself and Jake @MG ZS EV WEST YORKSHIRE took the Chorley Group Burnley demonstrator on a journey to test the real-world rapid charging capabilities.

I picked up Jake around 7pm from Oakworth, and we headed to the Ionity chargers at Leeds Skelton Lake Services. I used the "Battery Heater" option to ensure that we had warm batteries on arrival. This appears to use around 7kW (20A@360V) at peak, although once the batteries had heated up (after 40 mins), the battery heaters automatically switched off.

View attachment 5822

On the way there, the "Low Battery Warning, Please Charge" message came up at 24% (46 miles indicated) remaining.

Unfortunately, when we arrived there just after 8pm, there were 4 cars charging (2 Porsche Taycans, and MG5, and a DPD delivery van, with 2 other DPD drivers queuing to use them. Faced with a potential delay of over an hour (the DPD vans needed 90%+ to be able to do their deliveries the next day), we checked on Zap-Map, and found there were some 100kW+ Instavolt Rapid Chargers in Barnsley, 26 miles away.

We had 15% battery.... and it was mainly motorway, but were showing 30 miles range on the GoM, so figured we might as well go for it.

At 14% (24 miles remaining), another "Low State of Charge, Please Charge" warning came up on the dashboard.

At 7%, the GoM went to "---", and power was restricted - we were on the M1 going up a hill past Woolley Edge services, and our speed (with foot flat to the floor) wouldn't exceed 50mph. We started to get a little bit nervous. We decided to come off the M1 at the next junction, and go on the A/B roads to Barnsley, as we didn't want to be a hazard for anyone.

We finally got to the chargers (next to McDonalds) with 3% battery remaining. Thankfully, the chargers were both available and working (not ICEd).

View attachment 5816

We started the charge, and recorded the Amps & Volts from inside the car, to calculate the charging power. The charge was started at 20:56 (nice round number... should have waited a few minutes I guess!).
View attachment 5820

Initially, the charge started quite slowly, as the charger and car decided what power was best. At 4%, it was delivering 181A @344V (61kW). By 6%, the current had increased to 200A, where it stayed fairly consistently (did drop to 199A for a bit) until it got to 60% SoC. As the battery voltage rose, so the total kW increased, peaking at 76kW at 59/60% SoC.

From 61-71%, it continued at 179/180A, then from 72% it dropped to 151A, where it remained until 82%. At 83% (21:41 - 45 minutes after we started), it then dropped off quite quickly to 67A, stepping down to 61A by 89%. At 90% it dropped to 52A, and at 91% it was at 40A@403V (16kW). This is where we decided to disconnect the charger (it was 21:56, so exactly one hour from when we started).

View attachment 5821

For reference, it got to 22% after 10 minutes, 41% after 20 mins, 58% after 30 mins, and 83% after 45 mins. This compares very favourably to MG's own stated charge times of 42 minutes to 80% when using a 100kW rapid charger.

Graphs showing the Volts/Amps, and then the calculated kW Power are below:

View attachment 5818
View attachment 5819

In conclusion, the new ZS EV has a great charging curve, where it draws 70kW+ from 7% to 60%, and then maintains 60kW+ up to 80% SoC. The battery heater works well (but bear in mind that the heater will draw up to 7kW, so if you're already low on power, you're going to lose another 20-30 miles of range by using the battery heater). It decimates your efficiency - whilst it was working, I was getting 1.5-2m/kWh rather than 3m/kWh!

The battery heater switches itself off when you turn the car off, so it's not something you can accidentally leave switched on and drain all the battery - you need to actively turn it on for each journey.

I would not recommend running the car down below 10% SoC. The charging speed doesn't benefit, and the reduced power (particularly on a motorway) is not a pleasant experience. It might not be too bad around an urban environment, but hills become an issue when it's limiting you to around 25kW (33bhp!). We struggled up a hill in Barnsley town centre with foot flat to the floor, and scraping to 24mph.

We've got loads of photos etc, but I don't want to make this any more difficult to read than it already is :LOL:

I've added my excel sheet with the values for Volts/Amps that we saw.
Great info thanks. I would have bottled it and just stayed in the queue at Leeds.

Hi, so I’m confused a bit by all this. Had ZS Long Range Trophy since late December.

MG Manual makes no reference to preconditioning , in fact it says ideal temp range for efficient battery operation is -5 to 45 degrees (pretty much covers the UK any time of year).

But accepting pre heating the battery may assist before a journey if it’s a cold day, yesterday was 0 degrees for example, I don’t understand why you have to after driving a long way and need to top up at a rapid charger.

Elsewhere in a thread I read that the coolant operates around 25 degrees keeping battery warm, and surely if the reason to pre heat is to get battery warm for immediate use then at a certain point driving should keep / maintain the battery at an efficient temperature? As that pre heat will only last so long…..

So why need to set pre heat close to needing a rapid charge whilst on longer journey. It doesn’t make sense to me, suggests that the heating obtained via pre heat is not maintained and therefore the battery is losing effeciency until pre heated again?

Sorry I’m not very technical and trying to get this straight in my head so can maximise life and range of my battery

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are charging from a home AC supply via a wall box, then using the preconditioning battery heater, or the PDC heater in the cabin with the type 2 cable still connected, it should allow a charge to flow from the wall box to the car.
By doing this, you are hopefully protecting your predicted range in the traction battery 🔋.
The cabin heater is a hungry beast and can reduce 10 miles straight away, so using power from your wall box to heat the cabin can help.
The idea behind preheating the traction battery before taking on a rapid DC charge, is that when you commence charging, the speed of the DC charge should be faster and therefore your wait time is less.
A cold 🥶 battery will charge more slowly.
Of course, you have to consider that when using the battery heater, it will be consuming more of your remaining range as you head for the DC rapid charger 🔌.
As I have a low off peak tariff and my day rate is expensive, I tend not to use the wall box to preheat the cabin TBH.
I will take the hit on the range by using the power from the cheap energy supplied by the traction battery to preheat the car.
The preheat times out after 10 minutes but is enough time to defrost / heat the car.

Hi, so I’m confused a bit by all this. Had ZS Long Range Trophy since late December.

MG Manual makes no reference to preconditioning , in fact it says ideal temp range for efficient battery operation is -5 to 45 degrees (pretty much covers the UK any time of year).

But accepting pre heating the battery may assist before a journey if it’s a cold day, yesterday was 0 degrees for example, I don’t understand why you have to after driving a long way and need to top up at a rapid charger.

Elsewhere in a thread I read that the coolant operates around 25 degrees keeping battery warm, and surely if the reason to pre heat is to get battery warm for immediate use then at a certain point driving should keep / maintain the battery at an efficient temperature? As that pre heat will only last so long…..

So why need to set pre heat close to needing a rapid charge whilst on longer jou4ney. It doesn’t make sense to me, suggests that the heating obtained via pre heat is not maintained and therefore the battery is losing effeciency until pre heated again?

Sorry I’m not very technical and try8ng to get this straight in my head so can maximise life and range of my battery

Chris
Simple reasoning actually: the optimal operating temperature for driving is lower than the optimal battery temperature for charging. Therefore to charge faster you need to heat it up, and in cold climates it makes an even bigger difference. Simple as that.

This was as high as I ever saw my car charge. Mild night in Portugal, no battery heating. Tapered to ~60ish after 45%.

Attachments

• IMG_5740.png
    IMG_5740.png
    256.9 KB · Views: 39
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom