MG ZS EV Long Range - Rapid Charging Test - 76kW Peak?

The newest tesla lfp battery looses over a 1/4 of its range in winter
Is that in a Norwegian winter? I'm pretty sure the range reduction is less in more civilised climes.

Edit: Where I live, we think that 5°C in the middle of the night is really cold. Quite possibly our batteries rarely get much below 10°C, since our average nightly temperature rarely drops that low, and the thermal mass of the battery is considerable.

Last edited:
Is that in a Norwegian winter? I'm pretty sure the range reduction is less in more civilised climes.
In the UK you will see 20% to 30% reduction in range in just about any BEV in the winter. I’ve been through 6 winters with various BEVs, this is the norm.

Charging the LR version of the ZS EV to an indicated 100% is NOT going to damage the battery!

A LFP battery is a cheaper, heavier and less efficient battery that an NMC battery. Tesla use them to keep the cost of their tm3 and tmY down - though they are still stupidly expensive.

An NMC battery is good for at least 2000 charge cycles and maintaining 80% of its original capacity. An LFP battery will be good for at least 3000 charge cycles. To get that into perspective, the LR version of the MG ZS EV has a battery that will last around 400,000 miles while maintaining 80% of its original capacity. The SR version would be good for around 600,000 miles.

The NMC battery can get improved life by opportunistic charging, something not possible with the LFP due to it NEEDING to be charged to 100% SOC for the BMS to have any hope of correctly recognising it’s charge state.

In either version the battery will probably outlive the rest of the car. Worrying about the battery in a modern BEV is not something to be concerned about.

Buy the version of the car that suits your requirements. If you don’t drive far, then the SR will probably suit your needs.

Remember that you will get around 20% to 30% less range in the winter compared to the summer.

When on a long run remember that you only charge to 80% and look for a charger when you are down to around 20%. The charge curve of the LR ZS EV means that charging to 85% SOC is fine.
It's good to put the charge cycles into perspective with life-time mileage. Regarding range loss in winter, my ZS Gen 1 in Summer will report over 180 on full charge but that reported number drops as soon as you draw current from the battery (which is what you should expect) but I can genuinely get 170+ miles from that charge driven carefully. In Winter on 100% I might see 135 and drop back to 130 but expect to actually get a reliable 120/125 miles. depending on which of these numbers you take, the winter performance of the ZS Gen 1 Li-Ion pack is typically around 25%-30% lower in Winter to that of Summer so I wouldn't really make too much of the LFP winter range reduction. LFP I will admit charges slower in low winter temperatures but this is only going to mean that the overnight charge will be a little slower, however, on the road at a Rapid charger this isn't going to be an issue really and in any case, MG EVs using LFP also has battery warming which can be used to precondition before charging.

IMG EVs using LFP also has battery warming which can be used to precondition before charging.

All MK2 ZS EVs have a button to turn on battery heating. However, this does nothing if the ambient is above 10degC. I have battery temperature monitoring in my ZS EV (LR). Turned on the heating with the battery at 18degC. 30 mins later, battery still at 18degC, even though I was driving.

The heating system provided is clearly to protect the battery in winter conditions, not to warm it up prior to charging while on a long trip. In any event, the BMS should turn on the heating for winter conditions, not have to rely on the driver to do it.

All MK2 ZS EVs have a button to turn on battery heating. However, this does nothing if the ambient is above 10degC. I have battery temperature monitoring in my ZS EV (LR). Turned on the heating with the battery at 18degC. 30 mins later, battery still at 18degC, even though I was driving.

The heating system provided is clearly to protect the battery in winter conditions, not to warm it up prior to charging while on a long trip. In any event, the BMS should turn on the heating for winter conditions, not have to rely on the driver to do it.
FYI the charge rate of LFP drops off below 10C so that seems about right.

Buy the version of the car that suits your requirements. If you don’t drive far, then the SR will probably suit your needs.
I could not agree more !.
Also when choosing an EV match the battery that suits your usage pattern both NOW and in any future changes that could arise.
Plus factor in a reduced range in the winter and also some battery degradation as the car ages.

Sooo, is it safe to assume we can turn it on and leave it on as it's just automatic anyway? Is that the best way to use it?

Also on a similar subject, when we are running about and it's about 20 C, what should the charging speed be, say from 20% to 80%? are people actually getting 76Kw?

Sooo, is it safe to assume we can turn it on and leave it on as it's just automatic anyway? Is that the best way to use it?

Also on a similar subject, when we are running about and it's about 20 C, what should the charging speed be, say from 20% to 80%? are people actually getting 76Kw?
The battery heating turns itself off when the car is powered down. You have to turn it on again to activate it every time you power up the car.

I have regularly seen 92kW charging rate this summer when using a Rapid Charger when below 30% SOC.

I have the Facelift TC LR

Basically, yes. That battery will always charge a bit better if it's warm/hot but at 7Kw you'd use more to warm it than gain from it
The app will let you schedule the battery heating as part of the schedule charging - which will benefit your efficiency on the trip from home even if you aren't rapid charging if it's a cold day.

On car screen go to battery top right is schedule tap that then there is a toggle for battery heating

If recall correctly, when battery heater was originally introduce to the ZS EV it was for the ZS 1st Gen in 2020 and then it was only activated when ambient/battery temperature was below 10 C, and I think it was first introduced as a software update in Norway. Maybe someone who had a ZS EV in Norway around that time could correct me on that?

There are other ways to warm up the battery.
Spirited driving and use of HVAC will increase the battery temperature slightly, I do this when going to the 7kW chargers at Tesco's if it's a cold day, it seems to work, getting me a couple of more miles per hour of charging.

Very intersting thread! I'm trying to understand the logic behind the battery heating on my ZS EV long range luxury (french version). I just drove 400 km and was unable to see any increase in the battery temp up to 25° with the heating on...
As per above message, it seems it is active only below 10°, which could explain why battery temperature only increase over the 2 hours and half by the fact the external temperature raised and I drove at around 130 km/h for this time.

First picture immediately after departure (battery was 100% charged but app dispaly only 93.5...)
Screenshot_20221227-095022.png

Second pictures just before arriving at the rapid charger:
Screenshot_20221227-115045.png

Charging speed peaked at 78 kW...
SO I was under the impression my heating was defective... but it maybe not!

Very intersting thread! I'm trying to understand the logic behind the battery heating on my ZS EV long range luxury (french version). I just drove 400 km and was unable to see any increase in the battery temp up to 25° with the heating on...
As per above message, it seems it is active only below 10°, which could explain why battery temperature only increase over the 2 hours and half by the fact the external temperature raised and I drove at around 130 km/h for this time.

First picture immediately after departure (battery was 100% charged but app dispaly only 93.5...)
View attachment 14036

Second pictures just before arriving at the rapid charger:
View attachment 14037

Charging speed peaked at 78 kW...
SO I was under the impression my heating was defective... but it maybe not!
Out of interest which OBD2 adaptor and app did you use? I'm strugging to get it working on the ZS EV LR Connect

I'm using the Vgate Icar pro adapter: Amazon linkl
I'm using the "Thai" android app, link found on this forum.

I'm using the Vgate Icar pro adapter: Amazon linkl
I'm using the "Thai" android app, link found on this forum.
Cool, thanks for that, that's adaptor I have already. I was using the Watchdog app, but It doesn't work with Gen2. I'll try that Thai app

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom