Rapid Charger connects but fails to charge. It communicates to the extent that it can report the MG5 SOC but disconnects before charging. Seen this ?

Dundronin

Standard Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
When connected to Rapid Chargers I frequently find that the charger can communicate with the MG5 to the extent that it can report the EV's State Of Charge but disconnects before providing any charging power. I have now experienced this with a number of charge suppliers where the customer following me has been able to use the charger without difficulty. Have other MG EV drivers experienced this problem or is it just my 2021 model?

Attachments

• PXL_20230906_145146330.jpg
    PXL_20230906_145146330.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Solution
On Gridserve at Chievely. Failed to charge with the vehicle unlocked. I locked the car and authorised contactless again and it worked. While charging I met another MG5 driver who has also had many problems Rapid charging. He has had a conversation with an MG representative who admitted that these charging problems are widespread.
PXL_20231005_121900992.jpg
I had an issue recently at an MFG fast charger outside Plymouth where it was not connecting so just ending the session before any charging. I called up and they suggested when inserting the charger tilt it up as you insert it so the top connections make a good earth...this did the trick, not sure if this would be related to other issues. Chap suggested this helps especially when it's been wet and potentially any moisture about. I did notice after this that we had a bit of water sitting in the car ports.
Yes this can happen because the weight of the charge lead pulls down on the plug and the top pins in the plug do the communicating, I tend to do this as a matter of course now just in case until communication has been fully completed.

Upvote 0
Update 1st Dec

I picked up my car from the dealership today after they had it for three days while they investigated the problem recorded above. A courtesy car was provided for the duration at no cost. The software was checked and updated as necessary - as of today, as it was on the vehicles previous service in July 23.

Service Report
K VHC
INVESTIGATE RAPID CHARGE FAULT
CARRIED OUT EVCC,BMS AND BCM
CARRIED OUT CELL BALANCE CHARGE AND SETTLE
CUSTOMER TO TRY

I will keep you updated !

MG UK needs to seriously raise its game and become an EV Technology company with a vision of the future. Vehicle and Customer support are stuck in the dark ages with customers having to wait weeks or months to have an issue investigated. This utilises the ‘garage’ practice of plugging the vehicle into diagnostics available only at the dealership dependant on a connection to MG’s technical server. I have received good, competent and sympathetic support (if not fast due to limited resources) from my dealership despite the actions of MG UK.

Subject: Rapid charger connects but fails to charge.
Date:
26 October 2023 at 16:33:31 BST
To: [email protected]

I have been waiting since the 15th of Sept to get get my car investigated for the charging problem described below with my local MG garage as suggested by MG UK.

Howards have had the car since Tuesday the 24th but have been unable to make progress or get support from MG because they say that the MG UK Technical server is down and they (and every other dealership) are unable to raise technical tickets.

Please could you advise how long this situation will continue, what action has been taken to ensure there is not a repetition of this situation and what contingencies are in place to maintain customer service in the absence of tickets and MG UK technical server access ?

Regards ...

The dealership then has to raise a ticket with the ‘experts’ at MG UK to get assistance in resolving the problem. MG does not provide transparency about what issue of software is current for the vehicle nor does it seem to provide the facility for the customer to identify what issue of software is installed in their vehicle. These communications are not available to the customer as are any official acknowledgement of known problems on which MG UK are seeking solutions.

The MG dealer does not know what version of software the vehicle should have either as the software modules change or are patched on a daily basis. The only way to check if the vehicle has the latest software is to run a diagnostic which compares the version on the vehicle with the version on the MG UK database (when available) and updates the modules as necessary. This requires the vehicle to be plugged into the dealerships diagnostics which communicate to the MG UK database. The diagnostics record what software is on the vehicle which the dealership can print out for their records but this is not available to the customer.

Many MG models lacked the ability to communicate over 4G mobile phone app or WI-FI using a USB hub. If there had been greater commitment to ongoing product improvement and support it could have been provided subsequently. This would have massively improved communication and speed in the identification and resolution of problems. MG have been very backward in coming forward with these essential facilities to enable diagnostics and software upgrades at home saving customers having navigate the overloaded and under equipped MG dealerships.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some background information on EV charging Standards

Electric Vehicle (EV) Combined Charging System (CCS )

The Combined Charging System Type 2 (CCS2) connector is the ‘standard’ alternating current (AC) connector for charging electric vehicles from one, or optionally two or three phase 230 volt power each at up to 32 amps for cars usually manufactured in Europe. In this way an EV can be connected and charged from a suitably equipped Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE) charger albeit considered to be ‘Slow’ AC charging.

It has a ‘Protective Earth’, ‘Negative’, one or more ‘Live’ plus two control connections.

To ensure the current rating of an untethered cable is not exceeded a resistor is connected between its Proximity Signal (PS) pin and the Protective Earth pin within the connectors at each end of the cable. This can be interrogated by the EV and the EVSE thereby ensuring excessive current is not passed through the CCS Type 2 cable.

The other connection is for the Control Pilot (CP) Signal for data transmission bi- directionally between the EV and the EVSE which started out providing pitifully limited low level information using combinations of 1 kHz pulse width modulated signal switching between -12V and several positive up to +12V. The signals indicate for example if the EV is connected or not and various basic control and safety checks and AC current levels. I hope the limited vision of those who evolved the standard are suitably embarrassed.

To address the need for higher level data communication and data speed capability is provided using Power Line Communication (PLC) utilising high frequencies injected on the original line essential for the use when DC charging.

Today, vehicles are mainly charged with alternating current in domestic situations . As a rule, one phase with 230V and max. 16A is available, which corresponds to approx. 3.3kW. A charging process therefore takes several hours. For this type of charging, only a little signalling using a PWM signal is necessary. When charging an electric vehicle with direct current (DC), the alternating current is already converted into a direct current of high voltage, e.g. to 700V, at the charging station. The vehicle battery is thus charged directly with very high currents, so that charging stations with 25kW to 350kW are no longer uncommon. Such high-power charging makes it possible to shorten the charging time to just a few minutes.

In contrast to AC charging, however, DC charging requires determining the battery's charging level, its temperature and its charging capacity and transmitting this information from the vehicle to the charging station. This requires secure and functioning communication between the two.

A Review of Some Charging Standards

Electric vehicles (EVs), such as battery electric vehicles or plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, are expected to take over a major part of the transportation sector. As a result, the demand for Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment (EVSE), also known as Charging Stations, is growing. An EVSE should be able to handle the charging process for different types of EVs. In addition, different EVs might have different charging requirements, in terms of charging power, charging time, AC/DC charging, etc. Therefore, several standards have been created to regulate the EV-EVSE interface and the charging process requirements.

DIN 70121 is one of the first standards that was developed to regulate the EV-EVSE interface. However, it lacked some features such as Transport Layer Security. Later, other standards, such as ISO 15118 and SAE standards were developed based on DIN 70121 to regulate secure charging requirements in an EV-EVSE interface. Whereas SAE standards are more favourable in North America, ISO 15118 is the preferred standard in Europe. Both SAE J2847-2 and ISO 15118-2 have adopted the Power-Line Communication (PLC) physical layer for communications between EV and EVSE, however, there are some differences in the datalink layers of these two protocols.

EVSEs are capable of both DC and AC charging, as shown in Figure 1. In AC charging, the EV must be equipped with an onboard rectifier. The communication between EV and EVSE in AC charging is through a PWM signal over the Control Pilot signal. DC charging, however, has some benefits over AC charging. In DC charging, the onboard rectifier is no longer needed. In addition, much more electric power can be transferred in one DC charging session which reduces the charging session time in comparison with AC charging. However, due to the complexity of a DC charging session and billing requirements, a more advanced communication protocol than PWM communication is needed.

A standard handshaking protocol is required by the Pilot and Proximity signals in the EV-EVSE interface. In addition, digital communication may take place between the EV and EVSE to initiate or terminate the electric energy transfer to the EV. This communication happens over the Control Pilot signal using the PLC protocol outlined in HomePlug Green PHY specifications. Although PLC for AC charging is optional, it is required for DC charging. SAE and ISO 15118 have both adopted the HomePlug Green PHY specification for PLC and have developed several standards to manage the digital communication in an EV-EVSE interface. Dana’s OpenECU M560 and M580 controllers support these standards and are compatible with HomePlug Green PHY specifications. To achieve this goal, the M560 and M580 are equipped with the Qualcomm Powerline Communication (PLC) chipset to support digital communication between the EV and EVSE over the Control Pilot signal. Furthermore, a library of supported Simulink blocks based on SAE J2847-2 and ISO 15118-2 are offered in the OpenECU development toolchain to manage the PLC communication in Simulink environment.

In AC charging, typically the onboard charger controller handles the EVSE interface. However, for DC charging, no onboard charger (rectifier) is required to be installed in the vehicle. Hence, the task of handling the EVSE interface and managing the charging session is assigned to another ECU in the vehicle, such as the supervisory controller.

According to HomePlug Green PHY PEV-EVS, once an EV is connected to the EVSE, an association protocol assigns that EVSE to the EV. This procedure is handled via SLAC Association on Pilot signal as described in Green PHY PEV-EVS and SAE J2931-4 (or ISO 15118). Currently in Europe ISO 15118 is the dominant standard. Once an EVSE is associated with the EV with SLAC protocol, several sequential stages must take place over PLC communication for configuring the charging parameters, and managing the energy flow to the EV:

• Initialization of the charging session
  • Isolation monitoring and pre-charge
  • Energy transfer
  • Shutdown and disconnect

OCPP – Open Charge Point Protocol

The Open Charge Point Protocol (OCPP) is an application protocol for communication between electric vehicle charging stations and a central management system. It is an international, open-source, vendor-independent standard which is available for free.13 Jul 2022

Standardisation of UK Electric Vehicle Charging Protocol ...

https://mdpi-res.com › wevj › wevj-12-00063-v2

PDF
by K Chamberlain · 2021 · Cited by 9 — Power Line Communication (PLC) is a standard used for communication between EVs and chargers. CCS uses the PLC protocol. All connector types ...

https://mdpi-res.com/d_attachment/wevj/wevj-12-00063/article_deploy/wevj-12-00063-v2.pdf

What is ISO 15118? - Switch EV

https://www.switch-ev.com › blog › what-is-iso-15118

As part of the Combined Charging System (CCS), ISO 15118 is a communication protocol covering all use cases for charging electric vehicles across the globe.

Home Plug Green PHY The Standard For In-Home Smart Grid Powerline Communications

https://openecu.com/case_study/inte...g-green-phy/homeplug_green_phy_whitepaper.pdf

The IEEE Std 1901-2010 is a standard for high speed communication devices via electric power lines, often called broadband over power lines (BPL). The standard uses transmission frequencies below 100 MHz.

Implementation of HomePlug Green Phy standard (ISO15118 ...

https://ltu.diva-portal.org › get › FULLTEXT01

PDF

The HomePlug Green PHY standard was developed to allow more advanced communication between electric vehicles and electric vehicle supply equipment.

https://ltu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:1546405/FULLTEXT01.pdf

HomePlug Green Phy for Electric Vehicles

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
When connected to Rapid Chargers I frequently find that the charger can communicate with the MG5 to the extent that it can report the EV's State Of Charge but disconnects before providing any charging power. I have now experienced this with a number of charge suppliers where the customer following me has been able to use the charger without difficulty. Have other MG EV drivers experienced this problem or is it just my 2021 model?
I have had similar experience with 2022 MG5.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom