250 miles.... NOT!

I’ve had my MG5 SR for a little more than a month and have now done a couple of long runs. First one very cold day, wet and windy 300 miles round trip. Drove at motorway speeds, heating full on, two passengers and luggage, just managed both legs starting on full charge. About 12% left both ways. Second a 200 mile round trip. No passengers no luggage heating on low, very cold sunny day, I was running a little late so gave it some wellie used 60% of charge each way. extrapolating these figures gives me about 1.7 miles for each percentage point of charge or 170 miles from full charge. I never take much notice of manufacturers data as it is virtually impossible to replicate the criteria they have used to calculate them, this type of forum is the best place to research actual usage from a wide range of users all who have different driving habits and experiences. Still love my MG5 SR, great to drive good level of comfort and cheap as chips to run.
Giving it some wellie will obviously not help economy, but hey why not, you got there and back in comfort at 'normal' speeds. That is what surplus range should be used for comfort and speed. :D
This is why I am trading in my ZSEV for the 5LR. My journeys will be no longer or shorter than they are now, but I intend to do them without having to worry about economising on using the heater or A/C or pootling along on the motorway.

The 210 miles shown is in what is known as the GuessOMeter, and it is just that - a guess based on flimsy info.

Once it knows a bit more about your driving style et it might or might not be more accurate - even that depends a bit if you always drive the same way - but it is still only a guess based on historical info, and stuff it can measure like outside temperature.

Will of had my mg5 lr a week on Monday. And about 300 miles. Achieving about 3.2niles/kw. Hilly Brecon Beacons commute mainly dual carriageway but 20 miles of roadworks and 40mph average speed camera. On 27th I will be driving 150 miles to parents majority m4. Will have the baby so will need heaters on. Will be coming off nights so will be a midday drive. Assuming I set out fully charged this should be doable without charging I’m hoping?

Will have the baby so will need heaters on. Will be coming off nights so will be a midday drive.
Please 🙏 take care taking a long drive with your young family, with only a short rest after a long night shift !.
As a X night worker myself, I really do understand.
I wish you well and enjoy your trip !.

Please 🙏 take care taking a long drive with your young family, with only a short rest after a long night shift !.
As a X night worker myself, I really do understand.
I wish you well and enjoy your trip !.
Should hopefully get some sleep and if not the mrs will be driving.
Will also stop on way to feed baby etc but can charge at destination so would prefer to not have to rapid charge.

If you don't manage 150 miles in a LR then there is something wrong with you or the car :)

At around 180 I'd be thinking I would probably want to plan a stop

Forgot to add. Will have a kayak on roof just to add to the drag.
The extra drag will easily knock 20% off your range. If you drive a little slower then you can mitigate it to a degree but air resistance is the biggest factor in EV range.

Hmm, I was always told that ice cars prefer cold, dense, winter type air. The combustion cycle has more air to mix with the fuel so you get a bigger bang for the buck! All the other factors go against both types of car though. Road condition, wind, rain etc.
Cooler air density has a negative impact on the drag coefficient, about 7%.

Pootling around today, stop-start, trip to tip, emergency crisp buying, I got 20+ miles from 10% battery. That'll do :)

Drove out in the sun like grandma with a sore foot = 10%
Drove home like Lewis Hamilton in the dark / -1 = 20%

ooff.

Just done a good motorway trip.

Out & back, so 2 trips 8C, 110 miles used 50% so range of 220 miles.

I did proper motorway driving in outside lane as well. Well pleased, the MG5 is a beast.
I’m baffled by this. I did a 88 mile trip yesterday, mostly motorway and steady 55-60 and used up 53%. I can’t get anywhere near 200 and I’ve been driving a plug in hybrid before the mg5 so know how to eek out the range.

I’m baffled by this. I did a 88 mile trip yesterday, mostly motorway and steady 55-60 and used up 53%. I can’t get anywhere near 200 and I’ve been driving a plug in hybrid before the mg5 so know how to eek out the range.
Definitely seems strange. I guess heating on full blast/ strong head wind/ v low external temp/ fully laden might explain it, if several of those scenarios happened simultaneously. Definitely no faster than 60 on the motorway?

That's about right for the temperatures just now. You'll get much more in summer of course.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom