3d printed auto light sensor cover

jpk

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi are there any users on here that I could purchase one of the sensor covers from that have printed their own or does anyone know where I could purchase one from. I can't modify my own as it's a salary sacrifice car so it'll need to go back in tact when I return it!

If you can post the STL file I can see if I can print it.

I’m back later this week so will take a look. I would use PETG due to temperature in the car so will do some tests

I would go for the nylon, personally. The Midlands 3D outfit has done several, knows what's required, and the right material. The "dyed black" finish matches the car dashboard almost perfectly.

I would go for the nylon, personally. The Midlands 3D outfit has done several, knows what's required, and the right material. The "dyed black" finish matches the car dashboard almost perfectly.
Did you have to send them your own file, would it offend you if I asked how much it costs including postage?

Probably - I only have PETG (apart from PLA+) and not tried it yet.

TBH I might just order one too!

I bought the file from Cults, which was (I think) about 88p for the entire set of six designs. Seems only fair to give Pliskin his cut. I had to unzip the file, and at some point it resolved into six individual files for the individual covers in the different designs.

I knew which one I wanted (MG4-Lum-01), so I only had that one printed. It was £1.54 for the printing (in "dyed black") but then comes the high finance - £7.95 for postage and packing. Plus VAT. So the total invoice from Midlands 3D came to £11.40. Presumably the P&P price would remain the same if you ordered more than one design, so you'd make a saving if you wanted to try different ones.

Last edited:
Just got a quote from these guys for option 4:

Costs to print in PA12 Nylon Dyed Black will be £1.70 each plus £7.95 delivery and VAT

Save me time and faff as I cannot print in Nylon.

Simon

I haven't yet put the transparent film over the top, must get round to it, but the 01 design is working very well for me - better than the 04 did, although the 04 is certainly prettier. I have had a few strange lights-on-under-bridges events on the motorway, and one lighting-up when I think I was only in the shadow of a lorry, but in general it's performing very well indeed. The lights didn't come on until street lights and other cars' lights were starting to come on in the gloaming (and they stayed on), and when I drove up the very tree-covered road to the golf club where they had been coming on before (even with the 04, in similar lighting conditions) they stayed off.

I also noticed that they didn't come on until well into the Cuilfail tunnel, when it had got moderately dark, and they didn't come on at all in Southwick Hill tunnel, which is quite short and has white-painted walls, and was pretty light inside on a bright morning.

I think the 01 has nailed it, and adding the transparent film, if it reduces the light at all, will still leave it within a very tolerable performance window.

Just ordered mine, went for the 01 design too as I wanted to keep it simple. I'll add a bit of clear textured polyester film when it arrives.

What is the process of removing the old one? Is it just a case of gently levering it up with a plastic prybar?

Pretty much. I found it a bit of a fiddle to get off, because it has some plastic catches holding it in place. Someone had left a few plastic spudger things behind when they fitted my garage doors and I used these. A screwdriver could probably do it but might scratch the plastic. When it did pop off I was pleased to see that the plastic catches were all intact. (Might replace it if they ever recalibrate the software.)

The new ones don't have the plastic catches so are easier to get in and out. They fit snugly and don't move, but will come out on demand without forcing them.

In another thread I posted photos of the original cover, showing the catches. (2 on the edge nearest you, one centrally on the edge nearest the windscreen).

Edit: like this:

1693313898551.png
1693313935661.png

Thanks for the tips all and for the Midlands 3d recommendation @Rolfe. I too ordered from them and when I saw the £7 postage thought I might as well orded a few to justify, went for lum 1, 3 & 4 in black dyed nylon. Total cost £15.48

That's how I got my first one, from CrawfyP who had ordered several. I was tempted to order a few more because of the postage cost, but since I already had the one from CrawfyP and knew exactly which one I wanted, I didn't bother.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 523 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back